When you aren't hungry...

Options
SO I added up my cals today and I have not eaten nearly enough. BUT, I'm not hungry. Ideas?

Replies

• jnv7594
    jnv7594 Posts: 983 Member
    Options
    I had the same problem tonight. I hadn't eaten supper, but I wasn't really hungry. I ate anyway. It's not good to skip meals and skimp on calories. You're better off trying to eat.
  • Rmfowler1990
    Rmfowler1990 Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    If I am pretty below my daily calories I'll try to eat something high cal. Like peanut butter, full fat milk or yogurt something like that to my calories up.
  • Kattarra
    Kattarra Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    Try incorporating peanut butter, full fat dressings, and nuts into your diet. It's very hard to not get enough calories eating these foods.
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    Depends on a variety of factors. What did the doctor say? How many calories eaten so far? Did you under or overeat lately? Etc.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    Peanut butter or a protein bar are me go to fillers.
  • bwogilvie
    bwogilvie Posts: 2,130 Member
    Options
    If it's just one day, don't worry about it. I have had the occasional day when my net calories were negative. (Granted, those were days when I bicycled 75-125 miles.) You may feel hungrier tomorrow, in which case you can eat them then; if not, save the calories for a weekend treat. I consider my daily goal an average to be met over the course of the week, not a target that I need to hit exactly every day. Monday I was 300 calories over goal (Labor Day potluck), Tuesday I was 230 under, and today I am about 300 under, because I was able to squeeze in a fast bike ride before the sun set. I'll make up for the 270 calories at a buffet lunch on Friday.

If it's a regular occurrence, and you are losing weight faster than you want, or you're feeling lethargic, or your hair is getting dull, then you should make an effort to eat more.

If it's a regular occurrence, and you are *not* losing weight faster than your goal, then you're probably underestimating calories eaten, overestimating calories expended in exercise, or both.
  • bethanyboomstick
    bethanyboomstick Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    Peanut butter is your friend.
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,742 Member
    Options
    If I'm at 1201+ I just don't eat anything else. 1190 and below, I eat some nuts or string cheese.
  • Lithinissi
    Lithinissi Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Thank you all for the advice. :) I feel a lot better. The next day I was sooo hungry lol
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    I don't count calories, so I'm not basing my answer on that, but rather on my intuitive sense of whether I've eaten enough. Then it depends on many factors. Have I been eating enough overall? Where am I in relation to PMS when *overeating* is the issue? :tongue:
    What's on my agenda for the next day's work out?

etc. etc. etc.

I may eat something, like nuts or peanut butter or an apple. Or I may skip it.

But then, I don't count calories so I wouldn't generally know if I was "under my calories". I eat when I'm hungry, and to fuel my body. :flowerforyou:
  • DapperKay
    DapperKay Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    I don't understand why people feel the need to eat all the cals for a day. It's a balance on long run, some days you'd eat more others you'd eat less, you want to keep a consistent trend to meet your goals.

Having said that, you would worry about it if it was a daily thing because then your goals would need re-adjusting.

I wouldn't try to change my diet to include higher calorie foods just to meet goals. Hunger is a sign, and its telling you that your body needs fuel. It if doesn't, perhaps your TDEE is lower than you thought, formulas can be wrong by up to 20% sometimes.

Good luck.