eating at deficit?

Options
I feel stupid for not knowing what this means

Replies

• ewhip17
    ewhip17 Posts: 515 Member
    Options
    Don't feel stupid. This whole thing can be really confusing. In the simplest terms it means eating fewer calories in a day than you expend. I'm sure someone will jump in here with a much longer and complete explanation, but it's the basis for weight loss on MFP. Calories in less than calories used = weight loss.
  • parkscs
    parkscs Posts: 1,639 Member
    Options
  • Raynne413
    Raynne413 Posts: 1,527 Member
    Options
    Basically you are burning more calories than you are eating. If you burn 1800 calories a day, and you eat 1500 calories, then you are at a deficit of 300 calories.
  • ellie0213
    ellie0213 Posts: 562 Member
    Options
    It isn't always as simple as calories in less than calories out. It matters what kind of calories and that depends on your goals. Add me. I'd be happy to share what I do.
  • parkscs
    parkscs Posts: 1,639 Member
    Options
    It isn't always as simple as calories in less than calories out. It matters what kind of calories and that depends on your goals. Add me. I'd be happy to share what I do.

Welp. That didn't take long.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,575 Member
    Options
    Don't feel stupid. This whole thing can be really confusing. In the simplest terms it means eating fewer calories in a day than you expend. I'm sure someone will jump in here with a much longer and complete explanation, but it's the basis for weight loss on MFP. Calories in less than calories used = weight loss.

Yeah, this is a fine explanation. Just burn more calories than you ingest.

Your body burns quite a few calories just living - breathing, organ function, digestion, etc. - then you burn more through movement. The more you move, the more you burn and the more you can eat and still have a calorie deficit (i.e. still lose weight).
  • gingerpeachy6
    gingerpeachy6 Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    Don't feel stupid ok? We all start somewhere :smile: My fitness pal is where you can log all of your food so you know how many calories you need, then you figure how much is a healthy deficit per day so that you can lose. Slow and steady weight loss stays off. Try not to go too many lbs per week or you will get sick and wont stay with whatever program you are working on.
  • eric_sg61
    eric_sg61 Posts: 2,925 Member
    Options
    Oh lawd here we go
  • snowflake930
    snowflake930 Posts: 2,188 Member
    Options
    It is eating less calories than your body burns each day.
    That is what we need to do to lose weight.

Generally, it doesn't matter where the calories come from. Choosing foods that will benefit your overall health provide better nutritional value, and avoid processed foods to limit added sodium and sugar.

Ultimately, you have to find what works for you and is sustainable for your lifestyle.
  • Raynne413
    Options

No, it doesn't matter what KIND of calories. A deficit is a deficit. If you burn 2000 calories, and eat 1800 calories, it doesn't matter if the food is "health" or if it is "junk", it is still eating at a deficit.
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options
    A deficit is a calorie deficit - eat less calories than you burn.
    Fill out your stats accurately here in MFP and choose a goal weight and lbs per week to lose. MFP will give you a calorie goal. This goal will have you eating enough calories to fuel your body, and will already include the deficit you need to lose weight. So try to eat those calories every day or average to that amount calories every week.

And read this http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1080242-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    Don't feel stupid, a lot of this is overwhelming in the beginning.
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    To see how many calories you burn/day without exercise go to your "goals" tab and look at cals burned from normal daily activity. eat less than that with and lose weight.
  • StaciMarie1974
    StaciMarie1974 Posts: 4,138 Member
    Options
    Your body uses energy all day. Calories out.
    You fuel your body by eating. Calories in.

When you eat less than you use, you're at a deficit so your body takes from fat stores.
    When you eat more than you use, you're at a surplus and you add to your fat stores.
    When you eat what you use, you're even and maintain.

Think of a bank account with an overdraft account. If you spend more than is in the bank, it draws on the overdraft.

It may matter for some people where the calories come from, indirectly. If eating 1500 calories of donuts a day leaves you feeling crappy and lethargic you're probably going to lay in bed moaning all day. If eating 1500 of well balanced carbs/proteins/fats leaves you energetic you'll be more active and that's better for your overall health. And some people may have medical reasons to have less of one macro, more of another. But in general its calories in vs calories out.
  • gingerpeachy6
    gingerpeachy6 Posts: 74 Member
    Options

No, it doesn't matter what KIND of calories. A deficit is a deficit. If you burn 2000 calories, and eat 1800 calories, it doesn't matter if the food is "health" or if it is "junk", it is still eating at a deficit.

Actually kind of calories does matter. If you eat veggies and protein for 1000 calories and 1000 calories of junk your body will be spent much faster if you are doing an exercise program. You will also get lots more cravings for junk food
  • GiveMeCoffee
    GiveMeCoffee Posts: 3,556 Member
    Options

Why can't you just share here??

OP don't feel stupid at all. And don't listen to people that tell you to add them for their magically ways.
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options

Actually kind of calories does matter. If you eat veggies and protein for 1000 calories and 1000 calories of junk your body will be spent much faster if you are doing an exercise program. You will also get lots more cravings for junk food

Maybe, but for weight loss calories matter. you will lose the same eating 1000 cals of junk as 1000 cals of fruit and veggies. The difference being you will be hungry on the junk, but that doesn't mean you won't lose as much weight.
  • Raynne413
    Options

I"m not going to argue one direction or the other, but the original question asked what a deficit WAS. Not how to lose weight.
  • Donald_Dozier_50
    Donald_Dozier_50 Posts: 395 Member
    Options
  • jasonmh630
    jasonmh630 Posts: 2,850 Member
    Options

No. If you're trying to lose weight, all that's needed is a calorie deficit. As long as you're eating less than you burn, you'll lose weight regardless of if you eat 1500 cals of fruits/veggies or 1500 cals of junk.