Cholesterol

Options
Hey. I did some research online and found that red yeast rice and omega 3/fish oil helps lower cholesterol (it is compared to prescription medication), in conjunction with diet and exercise of course.

I was wondering if any of y'all had any comments to make about that? I bought some from CVS today. Buy 1 get 1 free.

Thanks!

Replies

• bj2007
    bj2007 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I don't know about the red yeast rice but my doctor put me on prescription fish oil --- said it is more effective than over the counter. It is also, of course, more expensive.....if that is possible.:smile:
  • atombud
    atombud Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I also take fish oil just 2 caplets or 2000 mg a day, plus the excercise and watching what I eat. My cholesterol when I started was over 300 now it is below 100 so the combination worked for me. My doctor was shocked whe she saw the new test results plus I had lost about 60 pounds at the time when I saw her. See her again in April and another 30 or hopefully 40 pounds lost.Trying to get to 100 pounds lost but the last 10 pounds are hard.
  • PuRpLeRn
    Options
    Atombud....

How long did it take you to lower your cholesterol that much? I am a diabetic and got my lab results in the mail Friday, bought the stuff today and started it. Got a appt with a kidney doc on Feb 21 and I'm sure they are going to do labs...and the official recheck with the diabetic doc 3/21
  • sveltewisher
    sveltewisher Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    I am working on bringing my cholesterol down quickly...Taking 2400 mg of Cholestene red rice yeast and 2000mg of Omega-3. Also, following Dr. Mark Hyman's detox diet, exercising, and tracking through MFP. Good luck!
  • mlb929
    mlb929 Posts: 1,974 Member
    Options
    My nurse practitioner suggested the red rice yeast - however, just an FYI - it is like Niacin and you can build up in your system and poison yourself with it if you take too much or too fast. Be careful and add it slowly if you are going to use it. I've heard good things about it.

I found the best thing for my lipid panel was to get my hormone levels tested and undercontrol and that made a world of difference and I dropped over 400 points in my Triglycerides and about 100 on two other factors.
  • atombud
    atombud Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    It took me about 6 months, have my appointments in April and October. Started myfitnesspal in May 2010 and log in everyday and have had some great success. Wish you the best.