Chasing that elusive first 100

Options
Hi-I have been changing my lifestyle for 2 years now this month. I am striving to hit my first 100 lbs, but for some reason I sabbatoge myself when I get close. Not sure why, but am looking forward to getting motivation here and making new friends. I need to put the first 100 behind me and then focus on the next 100. I am determined to do this w/o surgery and drugs-and I know it can't happen overnight, but I know I am capable of so much more-so WHY can't I get there??

Replies

• meggonkgonk
    meggonkgonk Posts: 2,066 Member
    Options
    Welcome! I think you'll find the social aspect of this site to be a perfect fix for that "can't get over it hump". My quitting point has always been about 2-3 months and now I am well into #5 with no feeling/desire to stop. You can do this, find people who you connect with (either from similar life experiences, or just happen to share perspective with) and you will surprise yourself with how easy it becomes once you find a place for it in your day-to-day life. Welcome again, and good luck!
  • marrieandfive
    Options
    Are you afraid of success? I don't even know what that really means, but I hear it all the time as a reason why people "fail"...

Although I don't think you're failing, because you're still working on it and that's what matters!

I know that for me, my motivation ebbs and flows and my goal is to just keep stretching out the time between the "ebbs" and keep tracking even if I've not had a good day/week and hopefully that will help motivate me to not let it stretch into months like it has in the past.

I haven't lost a ton of weight and I give props to anyone who has, I think if you have even come close to losing a hundred pounds you are a stronger woman than I am!
  • joleciamichelle
    joleciamichelle Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    Hi! I read a really interesting blog on MFP a few days back that you may find helpful. It touches on self-sabotage by that inner fat girl.

Here's the link, give it a read http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/MammaEllis/view/is-your-fat-girl-talking-to-you-61994

Good luck!
  • CoryIda
    CoryIda Posts: 7,887 Member
    Options
    There is an AMAZING support group on here. My favorite thread for people with 100+ lbs to lose is here:
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/156860-need-to-lose-100-lbs-or-more-lets-start-a-group

Wonderful people, very encouraging, different "themes" each day, and everyone is on the same journey. :)
  • ♥_Ellybean_♥
    ♥_Ellybean_♥ Posts: 1,646 Member
    Options
    I've read a lot of "Why not me" books, and they all seem to touch on this subject of "Self Sabatoge"... From what I have read, it's because we see ourself as the "Fat One" and believe this is all we can ever be... we don't truly believe that we will ever be "the one" that did it! that succeded! ... Maybe you need to get past the old self, before accepting you can be a new you? ...a accepting you once were XXX amount of lbs, but not longer are and never will be! and are READY for the new you.
  • crbirt
    crbirt Posts: 12
    Options
    Gmom,

I have to commend you on your decision to do this without surgery or drugs! So many out there think that the quick weight loss or lipo / lap band is the way to go, but I've also seen people take off pounds only to put it back on again. I know that you can do this! Let me tell you that I have found that without support, and tracking my calories, I wouldn't have been able to accomplish my weight loss. I'm 34 and I've lost a total of 155 lbs now, in about a year and a half. I would be willing to be a friend on MFP. I'm now in maintain mode, but would be willing to lend support. Unlike you, I did use a supplement to lose the weight, but that's not the only way to go, and I applaud your efforts to go it without.

You can do this! You've already come a long way and been fighting for so long, and you should be proud of yourself! Keep it up, and don't be afraid to let those around you know that you need their help. I'm sure there are friends of yours who would be willing to help you over this hump.
  • youlighter
    youlighter Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    I am here to support you 100%!
  • gmom81158
    gmom81158 Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the article-it was just what I needed. I have been heavy ALL my life so I think certain weights just feel normal to me-but for once I want to see what it's like to not be normal!
  • gmom81158
    gmom81158 Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    crbirt-155 amazing! Great job. I can't wait till I get there. 2 years is the longest I have stuck to anything. I am using Herbalife-all natural products and I love them and the way I feel which is why I don't understand why I keep blowing it, but yes at least I am still trying and have not given up or gained it all. I seem to be able to maintain for long periods...but I am not at that point yet. I am touched and excited about the support I have already received here and look forward to using the site daily.