Embarrassing problem. Has this happened to you?

Options
I worked out last night and about 6 minutes till I was done, I got a pain in my groin/thigh area. The shorts I was wearing had dug into my skin and was really irritating it. I kind of pulled them down a bit, but didn't want to stop.

Afterwards, it hurt badly and there is a rash/cut/scrape all along there and it's terribly painful.

This has never happened to me before? Is there anything I can do to heal this up sooner rather than later? I can't hardly walk. :-(

Replies

• liftingbro
    liftingbro Posts: 2,029 Member
    Options
    Sounds like you need to try different shorts.

I would just cover it with a bandage so that it doesn't continue to get rubbed, if there is still rubbing going on.
  • karenmarie1234
    Options
    I've had that happen to me before. I found keeping it clean and dry, (and avoiding further irritation) worked for me. I basically washed it with soap and water, then blew it dry with my hair dryer until it healed. I also changed my underwear to the boy style... they kind of look like men's tighty whities... they don't have elastic in the leg openings. This made all the difference in re-irritating the area. I haven't had it happen since.
  • 12by311
    12by311 Posts: 1,719 Member
    Options
    compression shorts

I like these

8b4da4a0cc4f1558d492186a0e2315ba.jpg
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    New shorts!
  • karenmarie1234
    Options
    Also I wear leggings when walking. (I don't work out... but still managed to chafe by groin area). Maybe changing to leggings, which seem to prevent extra material from bunching up in that area.
  • higgins8283801
    higgins8283801 Posts: 844 Member
    Options
    I've had that happen to me before. I found keeping it clean and dry, (and avoiding further irritation) worked for me. I basically washed it with soap and water, then blew it dry with my hair dryer until it healed. I also changed my underwear to the boy style... they kind of look like men's tighty whities... they don't have elastic in the leg openings. This made all the difference in re-irritating the area. I haven't had it happen since.

Thank you. My underwear is really causing it to hurt. I'll wear some of my husbands for now.

I have worn these shorts before, many times. I don't know why it did that last night.
  • RHachicho
    RHachicho Posts: 1,115 Member
    Options
    Yeah this can happen quite easily. It's funny how abrasion doesn't really hurt at the time so it doesn't let you know until you stop for a bit and then the area explodes. It's more common in people who have a bit more weight too. Since undergarments and the like tend to ride up into our crevices and get compressed into a sort of rope shape which scrapes single minded on one area of us when we move. Try to be aware when you underwear starts "riding up" and adjust ahead of time. That's how I solved that little problem. Wear loose comfortable and soft underwear for exercise too.
  • throoper
    throoper Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    Oof, totally. That happened to me once with new shorts on a 13 mile run outside of town, and by the time I got back into town, the area that had been rubbing was full on bleeding :/ Ouch. I find that wearing running capris really helps.
  • FitnFeistyLyness
    FitnFeistyLyness Posts: 757 Member
    Options
    Working out in the nude can be fun.

can i watch you??

op.. i agree different shorts and put a bandage over it.
  • SonyaCele
    SonyaCele Posts: 2,841 Member
    Options
    sometimes i chalk up between my legs to keep things from rubbing and irritating :P
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    Options
    Sounds like you need to try different shorts.

I would just cover it with a bandage so that it doesn't continue to get rubbed, if there is still rubbing going on.

Yup, don't wear the wrong shorts. I go luxe for shorts and shirts to avoid all chafing. Had some issues like that on my thigh and again on my nips, and never again. Ever. Ever.

Throw some neosporin on it.
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    Options
    sometimes i chalk up between my legs to keep things from rubbing and irritating :P

Magnesium Carbonate? On your legs?

... what am I missing here?
  • leannems
    leannems Posts: 516 Member
    Options
    First - do not be embarrassed. This problem is actually pretty common (and not just for heavier people - talk to some slim runners, they'll say the same thing).

Compression shorts as suggested earlier are your friend. I also wear full length compression leggings or capris when I work out, because I found that they ride up a bit less than the shorter shorts. If you're sensitive to how you look in compression garments, you can always wear a larger shirt over them.

In the meantime, you need to keep the sore area very clean, and very dry, and allow it to heal. At night, you could try some neosporin, but make sure in the morning you re-clean,and re-dry.
  • leannems
    leannems Posts: 516 Member
    Options
    Oh - and for the healing in the meantime - I've bandaged cotton pads over the area (again, to keep it dry and to sort of put a boundary up against additional rubbing), and then carefully pulled on short compression shorts (to make sure the bandages remained in place) and wore them under my regular clothes. I usually would take it easy on leg work outs until it healed.

Honestly - once I got the compression garments for working out, it's never happened again.
  • TriShamelessly
    TriShamelessly Posts: 905 Member
    Options
    Compression gear! Diaper rash ointment also helps to heal the irritations fairly quickly after you're cleaned and dried the area.
  • JeffGDDG
    JeffGDDG Posts: 252 Member
    Options
    After the fact I usually use powder like Johnson's Baby or preferably Gold Bond powder or lotion. Or try Body Glide to prevent it.
  • giggitygoo
    giggitygoo Posts: 1,978 Member
    Options
    This is why I wear leggings. Otherwise, my quads rub.
  • ahbooker
    ahbooker Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    After the fact I usually use powder like Johnson's Baby or preferably Gold Bond powder or lotion. Or try Body Glide to prevent it.
    Yes THIS!!
  • jbrownnolan
    jbrownnolan Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    Sure does happen to me, I get random cuts and brush burns all over, it normally happens to me when I wear a "New" piece of clothing that I've never worked out in before, and I don't realize it is going to rub me the wrong way once I get sweating. Normally I don't find out until later when I'm in the shower and the soap gets in it and stings like a b**ch (a lot of times I don't realize that something hurts while I'm working out, I get in the zone and my skin goes numb), but sometimes it also happens with clothes that I've worn numerous times before. Underarmor is fantastic for shorts, tops and under clothing. You may have to try a couple of different things, if you like your shorts and want to continue to wear them during workouts you may have to put up with the pain for a while so your body's skin can toughen up to it.