First Time Training with a Personal Trainer

Options
Hi all,

Tomorrow is my first training session with my personal trainer. I am both nervous and excited. Does anyone care to share their experiences, advice, or tips.

Replies

• dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    Options
    Prepare to work hard.

I would say, based on my summer with my trainer. It helps to be an active part of your training. Know your goals, communicate them well.

Also, know the difference between actual pain from injury and, "Oh this is hard it hurts". You communicate injury pain, work through the other. Make your purchased time worthwhile.
  • FitFitzy331
    FitFitzy331 Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    Bring water, eat a carby protein rich snack 30-60mins before and since this is your first session, prepare to be in for a rough day tomorrow :drinker: Personally I like a nice whey protein shake after tough work outs but if you don't have that, eat a protein rich meal afterwards to help with the muscle repair. Good luck!
  • ShibaEars
    ShibaEars Posts: 3,928 Member
    Options
    My first session we sat down and discussed goals, and previous fitness experience, and some other personal history. Then she had me do a fitness test that consisted of a 1 mile walk/jog/run (whatever I could do, as long as it was as fast as I could go), then 1 minute each of pushups and situps and then hold plank to failure. This was just to get some base numbers, so when we did it again a few months later, we could see how much I had improved.

I assume most first sessions are a similar setup, but I've only worked with the one trainer.

Eat something (that you know agrees with your stomach) about 45-60 minutes before, bring water (& possibly a towel to wipe any sweat off)
  • ValGogo
    ValGogo Posts: 2,168 Member
    Options
    Well, I used my one free traiing session with a Trainer last week. Although I do lots of different workouts and I'm not new to any of it, he really was helpful.

I will relate my experience as follows:

We sat down to discuss goals etc. I told him that I was not a newbie, that I realized where my food weaknesses are and that I like working out and I like being challenged.

I told him I'm not a shrinking violet and that I won't complain or puss out. I guess telling him this helped in how he was going to train me.

He warmed me up for 5 minutes.
    He got me to do the pliometric stuff like jumping on boxes and side to side jumps.
    He had me duckwalk across the room while holding a dinosaur egg (a big soft heavy ball).
    He had me push a weighted "Sled" type thing and when I did it, he made me do it again with 25lbs more on it.
    He showed how squat better.
    He showed me some other kettle bell moves, and he was very helpful.
    He had me use the floor ladder while in plank position and moving back and forth on my hands and toes.
    He ended with abdominal leg lifting stuff on the floor (my favorite part).

I say dive into the session with as much energy as you can. If you feel uncertain, let him know. If you are lazy, try to get over it and don't tell him you're lazy.

Oh, and if he's cute, don't give him the idea that you care. He's there train you, not date you. You won't believe some of the things I've heard about women being all "Oh, he's cute, I want to look good." It's crazy!

Anyway, I've always been down on trainiers because they are expensive, but I may actually pay for a month of training soon, just because it gives me ideas on what other things to do. I felt pain in muscles I hadn't felt before. It was great!
  • amgerbin
    amgerbin Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    Go in with your own goals. Over-communicate with them. If something doesn't feel right or you don't like it, tell them. The best thing you can do is be honest.

Just recently, I was feeling unmotivated. I told my trainer that I wanted/needed her to remeasure me - everywhere. She said sure and it turns out that I lost inches (more than I thought) and my cardiovascular rating went up. But I had to speak up.

It's your time and you are paying for it - make the most of it.
  • GillianMcK
    GillianMcK Posts: 401 Member
    Options
    My first session we sat down and discussed goals, and previous fitness experience, and some other personal history. Then she had me do a fitness test that consisted of a 1 mile walk/jog/run (whatever I could do, as long as it was as fast as I could go), then 1 minute each of pushups and situps and then hold plank to failure. This was just to get some base numbers, so when we did it again a few months later, we could see how much I had improved.

I assume most first sessions are a similar setup, but I've only worked with the one trainer.

Eat something (that you know agrees with your stomach) about 45-60 minutes before, bring water (& possibly a towel to wipe any sweat off)
    Mine was the same, first session was mainly about what I wanted to achieve, talking about nutrition etc, I didn't have to do the mile running etc as I had been doing bootcamps and various training classes with hime for over a year, so he already knew what my training levels were.
    I can't really eat something for 2hrs before PT if it's a sprint session, weights I can cope better, but that's just me, you know yourself what your stomach is likely to do with food before a really hard training session.
  • Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,209 Member
    Options
    Tips -

- explain your goals clearly, and state any preferences and dislikes. Communicate when something is too easy or too hard. Most trainers cannot read minds. :wink:

- hopefully you've done some strength training the past week, but if not, ask to do a full-body workout the first session. Working only one muscle group the whole hour may incapacitate you the next day (or injure you)

- if you hired them to learn how to workout (as opposed to just motivation) take good notes. Don't expect to remember everything.

- be up-front about any physical limitations (back, knee, shoulder, etc), even if they don't currently bother you

- don't follow a meal plan unless the trainer has nutrition credentials (rare)
  • dbmata
    Options

Mine was the same, first session was mainly about what I wanted to achieve, talking about nutrition etc, I didn't have to do the mile running etc as I had been doing bootcamps and various training classes with hime for over a year, so he already knew what my training levels were.
    I can't really eat something for 2hrs before PT if it's a sprint session, weights I can cope better, but that's just me, you know yourself what your stomach is likely to do with food before a really hard training session.

Wow, if I had a session like that I wouldn't continue with them.

At the time I met with my trainer to explore me becoming a client we covered goals, data ,etc.

My first session had me visit the bathroom twice to puke. Well, almost puke. Intensity was insane.

I think we started with pure legs, since I was having problems with my knee.
    Squats, lunges, deadlifts, hamstring work, more squats, box jumps, box step ups, more lunges, and then outside to tour the parking lot with a couple dumbbells, lunging all the way.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options

At the time I met with my trainer to explore me becoming a client we covered goals, data ,etc.

My first session had me visit the bathroom twice to puke. Well, almost puke. Intensity was insane.

Squats, lunges, deadlifts, hamstring work, more squats, box jumps, box step ups, more lunges, and then outside to tour the parking lot with a couple dumbbells, lunging all the way.

That sounds waaaay too intense for a first session with a client you don't know well
  • ShibaEars
    ShibaEars Posts: 3,928 Member
    Options

That sounds waaaay too intense for a first session with a client you don't know well

I agree. I feel like throwing someone into an incredibly intense workout with no idea what they can handle is just setting the person up for injury!
  • SuperJo1972
    SuperJo1972 Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    I just had my first PT sessions this week. The first one was a lot of communication about what my goals are, so I explained that I am working through NROL4W and want guidance on form and a little push to really challenge myself. he watched and corrected my form on the squat, deadlifts, lunges and bent over rows, and then we chatted about the length and frequency of the sessions that I need and can afford.
    He asked lots of questions about my usual exercise routine so far.

I was straight with him about my needs and today was my first real session, it really helped to have someone who really knows their stuff, he corrected my form throughout, challenged me with heavier weights than I would have tried, and really pushed me on holding out on my plank. Ouch! my own cheer squad.
    I'm
    Anyway, be clear on your goals, and open to suggestions and see if their personality clicks with you. I'm lucky, my wee dude is funny and encouraging, I feel good about having him push me over the next few months.

I hope you enjoy your training, let us know how you get on. :-)
  • dbmata
    Options

Hm, maybe, I sought this guy out because he was legit, and operates out of his own private gym. I guess it wouldn't be appropriate at a globo gym.
  • epido
    epido Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    The first session with my trainer involved going over paperwork/contract, discussing my goals and fitness history and a fitness evaluation. We then did a short full body workout and some stretches at the end of the session. Once we finished up with the paperwork, we discussed nutrition throughout the rest of the session, while doing the other stuff. One of the reasons I chose my trainer was because I was intrigued by kettle bells. It was about a month before I ever even touched one. We did a lot of body weight stuff and used the TRX quite a bit initially, before incorporating kettle bells into my routine as well.

I love the accountability a trainer provides for me, along with the encouragement to keep going, and someone who knows when to push me a little further than I think I am able to go. I completely believe a big part of the success I have had to date is due to working out with a trainer.

So, how did your first session go? Did it seem like a good fit for you?
  • dzstephy
    dzstephy Posts: 357 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone for your tips, advice, and sharing your experiences.

I have mixed feelings about my personal trainer since I ended up nearly blacking out and vomiting all over the place.

Here goes the play by play:

We met and introduce ourselves. I had filled out my background information such as goals and injuries prior to the first meeting. He said that the goal of the first meeting was to identify my fitness level. As we walk to the cardio equipment, I mention that I have Achilles tendonitis and when it flares up, I have plantar fascitis. He reassured me that he make sure not to exacerbate the tendonitis. First impressions, my personal trainer is very friendly, receptive, encouraging, and knowledgeable. We walk over to the treadmill and he shows me proper form and postures. He continues to talk to me about my fitness goals as I walk on the treadmill.

After about 15 minutes, he asks me to follow him to the stationary bike. Now I was not prepared for the the next part. He described that he wanted me to reach my target heart before continuing onto some yoga, pilates, and stretching exercises. He went on to say that I would do 30 secs at a normal, leisurely pace and 30 secs at an aggressive pace for about 10 minutes. I did not realize that I was about to do high intensity interval training (HIIT) session. I had never done one for 10 minutes since I have some upper airway restriction issues. For the first part of the 10 minutes, I felt fine but I did not realize that my trainer was adjusting the levels up to level 12. Towards the end of the 10 minutes, I started to breath heavily. He did not let me cool down and asked me to follow him to the yoga exercise room. As I got off the bike, I started to feel warm, dizzy, nauseous, and hyperventilating. I tell him that I need to sit or lay down before I pass out. I ended up laying down in the dark for about 5 minutes and then managed to move into child pose for another 5 minutes.

Once I controlled my breathing I was able to do some mat work. We ended the session with some stretches and foam roller stretching.

He suggested extending my training package for 3 months, modifying my diet in case of allergens, and incorporation of supplements. I really enjoyed the mat workout but definitely not a fan of HIIT since I am a newbie. I like the idea of HIIT but I need some modification. I know that I am young and look healthy but still. I am, however, grateful that my trainer was patient with me while I had the bout of nausea and light-headedness.
  • DavPul
    Options
    Your trainer sucks. Shop elsewhere.
  • epido
    epido Posts: 353 Member
    Options

Ditto this! A good trainer should push you to do more than you think you can do on your own, but at the same time recognize when you are at your limit for your current physical condition, and know when to stop. (There have been a small number or times my trainer has cut part of a workout short because it was wearing me out quicker than he anticipated, or I was more fatigued than he originally thought. Sometimes it was due to something we did earlier in the session, but most times it was because I was coming in with too little sleep the night before, coming down with a cold, etc. Almost every single time it happened, I wanted to keep going, but he saw the signs that my form was beginning to break down and made the decision to stop me before I reached a point where I could potentially injure myself.) If you are feeling like you might pass out and/or become sick, he pushed you too far! The idea of personal training isn't to see how much you can do before any of that happens, or to make you so sore you can barely walk the next morning. Yes, you may be sore after doing new things or pushing yourself a little more than you may have done on your own, but you shouldn't be sore to the point that you are in pain. (I'm not saying you do feel this way, just that it shouldn't happen.) You are paying a trainer to educate and encourage you, not make you feel so miserable you never want to return to the gym.

Consider today's experience as a learning opportunity, and find someone else to work with!
  • DavPul
    Options
    I'm more disappointed that he wants to spend several of her expensive sessions doing cardio with her and showing her proper form....for treadmills.
  • dzstephy
    Options
    I guess my poor posture was his primary concern. LOLz
  • dzstephy
    Options
    @epido and DavPul, thank you for your words of encouragement. It was definitely a valuable learning opportunity about myself and the type of trainer I need.

Ditto this! A good trainer should push you to do more than you think you can do on your own, but at the same time recognize when you are at your limit for your current physical condition, and know when to stop. (There have been a small number or times my trainer has cut part of a workout short because it was wearing me out quicker than he anticipated, or I was more fatigued than he originally thought. Sometimes it was due to something we did earlier in the session, but most times it was because I was coming in with too little sleep the night before, coming down with a cold, etc. Almost every single time it happened, I wanted to keep going, but he saw the signs that my form was beginning to break down and made the decision to stop me before I reached a point where I could potentially injure myself.) If you are feeling like you might pass out and/or become sick, he pushed you too far! The idea of personal training isn't to see how much you can do before any of that happens, or to make you so sore you can barely walk the next morning. Yes, you may be sore after doing new things or pushing yourself a little more than you may have done on your own, but you shouldn't be sore to the point that you are in pain. (I'm not saying you do feel this way, just that it shouldn't happen.) You are paying a trainer to educate and encourage you, not make you feel so miserable you never want to return to the gym.

Consider today's experience as a learning opportunity, and find someone else to work with!
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    your trainer had you doing HIIT on the first day?
    dangerous and stupid and definitely not worth your money...

plus they ook the easy way out and put you on cardio machines? no weight machines? i'd also be leery of any trainer immediately giving advice about nutrition and supplements, that's way to easy to dip into broscience

and they want you to sign up for 3 months of that? girl, RUN!