What do you do with a pedometer?

Options
ajbeans
ajbeans Posts: 2,857 Member
Like, I know it counts steps, but how do you use that information?

Replies

• fuzzymel
    fuzzymel Posts: 400 Member
    Options
    I use it to make sure I walk my 10,000 steps a day (approx 5k) and it estimates calories burnt too. I find its fairly accurate at the estimate.

I walk for exercise as well as using the gym so I want to be able to count it in my exercise diary.
  • RodSurly
    RodSurly Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    If you enter the length of your step/stride accurately pedometers can be amazingly accurate. I checked a Sportline pedometer against the CardioTrainer/GPS app on my Android phone. The pedometer registered 11,278 steps and 5.87 miles while the GPS app registered 11,260 steps and 5.86 miles.
  • ajbeans
    Options
    I don't know if mine does calories. I haven't tried it yet. :laugh: So lame, but it came with a video game that my husband bought and I told him I wanted it. So it's probably not going to do much. :tongue:
  • ajbeans
    Options
    If you enter the length of your step/stride accurately pedometers can be amazingly accurate. I checked a Sportline pedometer against the CardioTrainer/GPS app on my Android phone. The pedometer registered 11,278 steps and 5.87 miles while the GPS app registered 11,260 steps and 5.86 miles.

Oh, that's a good way to use it. Um... how would one go about measuring the length of your step?
  • songofserenity81
    songofserenity81 Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    My brother brought Pokemon heart gold for the DS which comes with a pedometer that looks like a poke-ball, the game and pedometer are on loan to me at the moment so I have something that will count my steps roughly and it is only roughly because there is no ability to input stride length and such. I am looking at getting a proper pedometer ,even tried one or two on the iphone but not overly happy with them yet....thinking a dedicated pedometer would be more beneficial in the long run.
  • ajbeans
    Options
    My brother brought Pokemon heart gold for the DS which comes with a pedometer that looks like a poke-ball, the game and pedometer are on loan to me at the moment so I have something that will count my steps roughly and it is only roughly because there is no ability to input stride length and such. I am looking at getting a proper pedometer ,even tried one or two on the iphone but not overly happy with them yet....thinking a dedicated pedometer would be more beneficial in the long run.

Yeah, that's the one. My hubby got Heart Silver. I figure it's crappy, but I just wondered what I can do with the information it does provide. Use what you have, you know?
  • dandynick
    Options
    To enter your stride length you can use two different methods. Either measure a set distance and then count the strides it takes to walk/run it. Divide the distance by the number of strides to get the stride distance. You can use either metric or imperial, just remember that you have to come up with either inches or centimetres to put into the pedometer.
    The other method is to walk across snow or dirt at your regular walking/running pace. Make sure it's not too deep or it will throw off your step routine. Then measure from the front of a rear step to the rear of the next step.

I tried a sportline peometer that fit into my pocket but I found it really came up with inaccurate readings. The pocket must be tight and I think the pedo had to be upright all the time. I switched to a Sportline that just fit onto my waistline and it comes with a security strap in case it pops off. It uses a mechanical pendulum that is way more accurate than the motion sensor style the other one had. Plus it has buttons that are way easier to use than the bubble buttons on the other one. 12.99 CAN at Wal-Mart. Measures calories, steps, distance and you can set distance/step/calorie goals. Also has a clock for those who don't like wearing watches.
  • ajbeans
    Options
    Thanks for the tip on the pedometer and stride length! I might look into one like that -- I thought they were much more expensive than that. And goodness knows that right now we certainly have enough snow to make footprints to measure. :laugh:
  • dandynick
    Options
    Actually, I was a little off in my description. You measure from the back of the last step to the back of the next step. Here's a good site to describe how.

http://walking.about.com/cs/pedometers/a/pedometerset.htm