Looking 4 Online Fitness BFF - Apply Now

Options
Online Fitness BFF?
I am looking for someone to be accountable to. I have friends/family, but we have all gotten on and off the fitness train so many times together that I really don't feel a strong sense of commitment to the new goals/programs we are continually thinking up. I need someone new. Preferably, I would like to find someone that I can email/text/FB/etc. and truly kinda become a fitness BFF's with. I find that on the message boards it is easy to drop in and out of obscurity and that they are pretty impersonal - once again, not motivating any sort of accountability in my lazy-soul.

About me -
I am a single gal just trying to make my way in the world today (it takes everything you got). The Stats: I am 33 and a secretary at a University. I have felt like I have had weight problems all my life, but always was able to keep my size about a 10-12. However, in the last 3 years I have gained 50+ LBS! 50! I am now an 18-20. Currently I am 5'6" at 235. I would at very least like to get back to my usual 175-185 lb. range. However, deep in my soul - I believe I can do better then that. I am one of 5 sisters in my family and all of my other sisters are a size 4-8. I believe in my genes I am not meant to be a size 18. I do LOVE food (making and eating). Once upon a time, I was a runner and ran several 1/2 marathons, but it started to cause me a lot of pain in my back, neck, shoulders and I have stopped running and am having a hard time finding a good exercise replacement or the will to stick with and truly add it to my daily schedule. I have a super cool dog and walk her most mornings for 20-30 minutes, but once I get home from work I am so tired I find myself just eating large amounts of food and watching lots of TV and then collapsing into my bed. I love to travel and am constantly day-dreaming that I was on a cruise ship. (I love to dress up and eat the fancy food and feel the sea breeze on my face). My name is "wishiwaskate" because I am obsessed with Kate Middleton - love her in every way! My photo just happens to be a picture of Anna Paquin running (not because I particularly love her, but because when I was younger I had the same general build and she has the almost exact measurements as my sisters - I picture that if I got my weight down to my goal that my bod would look some-what like hers).

What I'm looking for:
Someone who is also looking for a truly committed online fitness BFF and is willing to be in return the BFF they wish they had. Someone who wants to check-in daily regarding food and exercise. I am not looking for a friend who says "oh, you are trying to decide between eating 4 candy bars and eating real lunch - well, we all know that chocolate is the best choice". I already have friends like that. I don't particularly want a drill sergeant either - I could hire and ignore a trainer if I wanted that sort of thing... (drill sergeant does not seem all that BFF-y). I want to be genuine friends with someone and feel that they would be truly disappointed in my lack of follow-through. As mentioned before - it would be ideal if we could follow each other on social media or become comfortable with the idea of texting and emailing. (I swear I am not a psycho).

Interested? How to "apply".
Respond with something about you and what you are looking for in an Online Fitness BFF.

Replies

• _Waffle_
    _Waffle_ Posts: 13,049 Member
    Options
    I need someone new.
    What happened to the last person(s)?
    My name is "wishiwaskate" because I am obsessed with Kate Middleton

it would be ideal if we could follow each other on social media or become comfortable with the idea of texting and emailing. (I swear I am not a psycho).

perkinssmile.gif

Good luck. I hope you find that person.
  • wishiwaskate
    wishiwaskate Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    hahaha - nothing "happened" to the old person. The current people in my life love me so much they don't care to help me change. That's all.
  • vamaena
    vamaena Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    hahaha - nothing "happened" to the old person. The current people in my life love me so much they don't care to help me change. That's all.

I completely understand that! Most of the people in my life are doing the same thing to me! It's always "you can cheat on your diet when you're with us". They don't understand that I'm not on a diet, I'm changing my lifestyle!
  • TurboLindsay
    Options
    Fitness buddies are awesome! I struggle because I find that none of my friends care about it quite as much as I do, so I'm in it alone. When I turn down making plans with them because I tell them I need to get my workout in - I don't think they truly get.

Last night my BFF wanted to hang out. She's going through a breakup but I also haven't been able to stick to my fitness routine this week so I was determined to get it done last night. I literally told her, you can come over but I am doing my workout so you'll have to watch or go watch TV or something. It was kind of weird to workout in front of someone but I did it anyway. I hoped she might be curious and want to try, but of course that didn't happen. :)

Anyway, I'm 34 and while I'm not really struggling with my weight, I am committed to leading a healthy and fit lifestyle...a realistic one though that does involve treats from time to time, and I don't obsess over everything. Lately I've been learning about eating really clean, whole foods and trying to work on portion control because I LOVE FOOD! :)

I was really intrigued by your story because we are similar in age and you sound like you really want to work on this. I am not a pushy person but I do love to coach people and motivate. I am currently in a challenge group, but I can't say it's an effective one...so I totally get what you're saying about people who come and go but don't always stick to things. Luckily I'm very self motivated so I can stick to these things pretty well. Although being part of this group has kept me more accountable...plus I just really want to succeed this time around.

Like you, I work in an office and find myself sitting most of the day. This is soooo bad! I've recently been taking steps to move around more. I've been suffering from some back and shoulder problems which I believe are largely related to sitting at a desk all day. I'm 34 years old and should not be feeling this way! As part of making change, I've started going for walks on my hour lunch break. I've even turned it into a bit of jogging and trust me, I'm not a jogger nor have I ever enjoyed it...though I'm starting to now. This has been a great change for me physically and helps me mentally through the day as well. I started referring to it on social media as my #WalkAtWorkChallenge even though I'm the only one doing the challenge! haha

I've basically turned health and fitness into a hobby and am working to build on it and encourage others. I'm definitely not a drill sargent. I like to motivate people but think if you force people, they won't be successful. They have to want it bad enough for themselves. Plus it's just fun to do these things with people who are committed and just as interested as you are - not boss them around and make them feel bad when things get tough.

So feel free to add me as a friend if you feel like this is something we can do together! It would be awesome to see you achieve your goal! I feel like you have the drive to do it and if all you need is a buddy to join you along the way, I'd totally be up for that!

Either way, good luck and stick to it. Your attitude is motivating and I feel that you can reach your goals and be inspirational to others! :)
  • LVLFgirl13
    LVLFgirl13 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I'm always looking for New and encouraging friends...Here is what i have in my bio.

I’m a 33 year old Mommy to a wonderful 6 year old boy. He is my everything.

Which is a majority of the reason I am here on MFP now.

I was always very thin and athletic growing up. I graduated high school and decided to become a little rebel for a few years and gained a lot of weight and just let myself go. I stopped that nonsense around 24 years old and got myself back to almost a healthy weight. Then I got married, had my son, and got divorced. Just like most of us I have gone through my struggles in life, while that is no excuse, I can tell you I just gave up on me. I was in a very bad (abusive) relationship after my divorce and that lasted 3 years until I had enough courage to walk away. Many therapy sessions and medication changes later I found myself at my absolute heaviest in April 2012 – 266lbs. At that point I just figure that the best I could do was hide myself from the world. I hated going anywhere outside of my house which was completely selfish of me.

In October 2012 I decided to get off all anti-depressants and related medications. FYI – coming off of those medications cold turkey as I did was one of the most painful things my body has ever went through. But I don’t regret that choice for a second.

In January 2013 I decided to give Weight Watchers a try. Through that program I was able to get myself down to 230lbs by November 2013. The weight loss was great but I didn’t feel like I was full with just eating within my points range. Being a single parent you have to be wise about where your money goes. My son was growing up and becoming more active in sports and school had begun. I just didn’t have the time to go to the meetings and my funds were being stretched elsewhere. I stopped attending Weight Watchers I believe in September of 2013. One thing I can honestly thank that program for is that it inspired me to start living my life again. It gave me the courage to step out of my house and start doing things with my son again. Unfortunately, some of my weight snuck back on and by April of 2014 I was back up to 250lbs.

I have been way more active in 2014 – Hiking with my son, going to parks with him, practicing soccer with him. It has been great! My son and I also completed our first 5K together in May 2014 and we have our second one coming in October 2014. I want to be more active and I need to learn to eat better. I am an EMOTIONAL & STRESS eater!!!! I need to stop this ASAP! I want to be healthy for my son. I want to be healthy for me. I want my son to also follow good eating habits and be healthy. I also want to be able to get on a ride in an amusement park without being turned away because of my weight (I had this huge wake-up call 2 weeks ago).

Feel free to add me if you like. Best of luck to you on your journey! You can do it! :flowerforyou:
  • TurboLindsay
    Options
    It's funny how some people don't understand that sometimes you don't want to cheat! :) I find that happens most often with alcohol. I know it's not great for me and often I don't "need" it. So when everyone was is having a few drinks and I don't want any, they look at me like I'm crazy, or a party pooper...which is so not true because I can have lots of fun with or without drinking.

Living a healthy lifestyle seems really hard for people who don't focus on it to understand. It's frustrating because of course I want the best (healthiest) for all of my loved ones and sometimes I wish they could understand how much better they'd feel if they'd just change a few things.
  • katdabomb85
    katdabomb85 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Hey! I'm 28, and currently 183lb, I have a pretty sedentary job, I'm sat on my *kitten* a good portion of the day at work with occasional bursts of epic movement, I go to the gym 3 times a week, and try to go hiking at the weekend. I'm totally obsessive about logging, possibly to the point where it's become a slightly unhealthy. I don't eat any rubbish in my diet, and I take it really really seriously, it would be awesome to have an online fitness buddy. :0)
  • meaghanmcb
    meaghanmcb Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I'd love to develop some deeper relationships here. I like you, feel that my family and close friends are not as dedicated/motivated as me. And I'm not super-dedicated, but I am trying.
    I was an active youth/teen, and gained 50+ pounds in college due to an endocrine disorder/hormone imbalance. I lost weight after getting married by going low-carb and because I worked a VERY active job. Then I moved into an office job, got pregnant, and breastfed my way back down to still an okay weight. Since 2008, I've gone from 165 to 230. I've moved twice, switched jobs 3 times, and am almost done with my Master's degree. Ironically, my degrees are in health education so I know exactly what I'm doing wrong... but it's still difficult to be the optimal me.
    I am a heavy iPad user, and the MFP website is not as optimized for mobile users as I'd like it to be. I would love to have friends on MFP and in a private group on social media which I use frequently.
    I'm married to a pretty fit guy. He's ALWAYS been slender with a smallish build despite being over 6 feet tall. He has started running and lifting to build muscle and it irritates me to see him so successful and dedicated when I can barely hold it together most days. I sweat just thinking about exercise, including the 700 steps I take to get to my desk from the car in the morning (the same steps I've been taking for over 5 years now!!!) so working out at work is daunting. I try to get in more steps, and a FitBit keeps me accountable to myself. I will never run - it just does not appeal to me, and my knees are already achy just picking up walking 2 miles 3-4 days per week. Maybe it's my size and this will ease as I shed weight... but I also live in chilly WI and would rather find a variety of activities I can do indoors and with others -- I'm a VERY social person, but I also don't want to sacrifice my family time 6-8pm to go to a class. I'm not a morning person. YIKES!
    Before I blabber too much farther - feel free to add me :) I'd love to connect with anyone motivated, challenged, and happy to join a network!!