Healthy work based snacks for someone with multiple allergie

Options
Title says it all really - any suggestions for snacks that I can easily stash in my drawer at work?

At the moment pretty much the only thing I have is salt and vinegar snack a jacks (the big ones). I genuinely do like them, but I'd also like some variety.

I am allergic to nuts, pulses, avocado, tomato, strawberry, and pretty much all fruit and veg that's raw (cooked or processed is ok). I've always found that quite limiting in terms of my snacks - I can't just pick up an apple, for example - though I could have some raisins - but that's pretty high in sugar. Also, I'm not being fussy, all of the above listed are confirmed as allergies and intolerances in varying degrees of severity.

Any suggestions would be great x

Replies

• ♥_Ellybean_♥
    ♥_Ellybean_♥ Posts: 1,646 Member
    Options
    My drawer consists of :

5 bottles of water
    Sugar Free Jello Cups
    Brown Sugar Almonds
    Cocoa Dusted Almonds
    Cashews
    100 calorie packs
    Fiber One 90 Calorie Bars
    Orange
    Banana (obviously can't stay there long)
    Sugar Free Reese's
  • rosabella_bee
    Options
    Why dont you try something like ryvita or oat cakes with houmous or cottage cheese or perhaps some seeds? Can you eat stewed fruit? Maybe rice cakes with pumpkin seed butter or vegemite? Healthy snacks are hard - especially when you are so limited with choice because of your allergies. I'd be interested to see what others suggest!
  • jenhudgins
    Options
    greek yogurt and tuna are good snacks
  • Cbandelier
    Cbandelier Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    natural applesauce cups
    popcorn
    granola bars (without nuts)
    dry cereal
    sugar free or lowfat pudding cups
  • ♥_Ellybean_♥
    ♥_Ellybean_♥ Posts: 1,646 Member
    Options
    Also what about Laughing cow cheese? ... pretzels? ... popcorn? ...
  • MeliciousMelis
    MeliciousMelis Posts: 458 Member
    Options
    popcorn
    granola bars
    protein shakes- I like the EAS carb advnatage shakes- decent protein count on those!
    rice cakes w. apple butter
    tunapacks and wasa crackers

Hope this helps!!
  • Leannek74
    Leannek74 Posts: 374 Member
    Options
    Can you have apple sauce?
  • megwump
    Options
    The apple sauce thing has me confused - is this an american vs english thing? The apple sauce over here is normally for with savoury foods and is pretty high in sugar (like 30%).

Ryvita and oat cakes are pretty much the same 'breed' as the snack a jacks - dry biscuity things, lol. Would be great to have some texture variety as well as flavour. Cottage cheese / light spreads are all very well, but things generally go missing from the work fridge so it needs to be non-refridgerated stuff.

Most, if not all, cereal and granola bars have nut warnings on them, which I have to pay attention to.

It's very frustrating, grr! But I do appreciate the help and ideas, keep 'em coming :)
  • meadows654
    Options
    -Popcorn (you can microwave kernels in a brown "lunch" bag) then control what goes on top
    -Chex rice cereal (gluten-free)
    -Suar-free Jello pudding
    -Rice krispie treats (not the healthiest, but the calories won't kill your progress)
    -Oatmeal
  • Sara1978
    Sara1978 Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    If you are able to eat raisins, can you tolerate other dried fruits?

I love dried cranberries and prunes, and those can be kept in a drawer easily. If you look for the kinds that have no additional sugar added, the dried fruit isn't worse for you than its original counterpart-- you just have to keep the density in mind when deciding how much to eat.
  • nickscutie
    nickscutie Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    I keep cheese sticks in the fridge at my office - I think the 2% cracker barrel extra sharp cheddar are the best. You could also do plain yogurt, cottage cheese, pretzels, popcorn, dry cereal, granola.
  • Fiedems
    Fiedems Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    I love the special K cereal or Fiber Plus bars.
    Stacey's Pita Chips.

Also, yeah I guess applesauce is an American thing. BUT you can make it easy. Just cut up, peel apples and cook until really soft. Then just mash them. IF you get the sweet kinds already you don't have to add any sugar. You can do almost the same thing with a microwave and cinnamon. Just cut, peel the apple, sprinkle cinnamon and "bake" in the microwave until cooked.