Heavy workout or dieting which one is best for weight loss.

Hey friends, I have planned to lose my extra 25kg weight in next 6 months I want your precious advice that Should I go with Heavy workout or heavy dieting for faster results.
Any adive will be appreciated,
Thanks

Replies

• roanokejoe49
    roanokejoe49 Posts: 820 Member
    Heavy "dieting" won't do it. Work out sensibly, consistently, and eat at a calorie deficit. You'll lose weight.
  • jimmmer
    jimmmer Posts: 3,515 Member
    Hey friends, I have planned to lose my extra 25kg weight in next 6 months I want your precious advice that Should I go with Heavy workout or heavy dieting for faster results.
    Any adive will be appreciated,
    Thanks

rate of weightloss is down to a calorie deficit.

You can create that deficit through dietary control or via calorie burns (or a combination).

Exercise has fitness benefits (cv health, stamina, strength, flexibility, etc) and should be done for those reasons.

Get your diet in order to lose weight - that way you'll learn the skills necessary to keep it off in the long run.
  • GiveMeCoffee
    GiveMeCoffee Posts: 3,556 Member
    Stop thinking of this as a fast process, start thinking about how to do this in a safe, sane, way that you can do for the rest of your life.

Reasonable calorie deficit, log your food accurately and honestly. Find an activity you enjoy doing. And have patience.

Read these they will help:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1234699-logging-accurately-step-by-step-guide?hl=logging+step+guide

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1235566-so-you-re-new-here?hl=so+you're+new+here

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1080242-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants
  • gingerpeachy6
    gingerpeachy6 Posts: 74 Member
    What is your meaning of a heavy program or extreme diet?
  • martinel2099
    martinel2099 Posts: 899 Member
    So 25kg equals roughly 55 lbs (sorry I'm a silly American), which is roughly 9 lbs per month or little over 2 lbs per week you want to lose in the time frame you stated.

In my opinion, your goal is too aggressive and will leave you wanting. I'd shoot for a goal of 10-15kg in 6 months instead, it'll be easier and you'll actually be able to eat food.

Now to answer your actual question, losing weight is achieved through your diet alone, exercise can help but at the end of the day it's all about calories in vs calories out. Your diet needs to be your #1 concern right now.

Now, exercise is very important and I'd highly recommend it, specifically heavy lifting. You should start a beginners heavy lifting program like strong lifts 5x5. The reason you want to start heavy lifting is to mitigate muscle loss while your losing weight. When you lose weight you will lose fat and muscle, it's unavoidable, but you can mitigate muscle loss by working out with heavy weights.

Nutrition wise, I would also recommend that you track your macros (you can learn more about it here on this site) but the part I want you to pay particular attention to is your daily recommended amount of protein. Generally speaking, you should aim to eat 1 to .8 grams of protein for every pound of body weight.

Heavy lifting and consuming adequate amount of protein will help you mitigate muscle loss while eating at a calorie deficit. A common trend I see on the boards from people who went from fat to their ideal weight is that they wish they started heavy lifting from the very beginning.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,575 Member
    I would think the correct answer would be, whichever you are likely to stick with.

I'm not exactly sure what "heavy dieting" would be, but it doesn't sound like something I could stick with for 6 months, and certainly not forever.

Moderate dieting (balanced diet, deficit, but not so large that you are always hungry) and a workout that is challenging but you enjoy might be a better approach.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Both heavy workout and heavy dieting sound like temporary things. The problem with doing something (extreme) and temporary is it doesn't really help you maintain the weight you lost. Some 90-95% of people re-gain the weight they lost (I'm one of them).

Figure out a strategy that you can live with now & the transition into the future. This is why moderate calorie reduction and moderate exercise are helpful. These can become lifestyle changes.

The threads that jwhited posted are really helpful.
  • liftingbro
    liftingbro Posts: 2,029 Member
    Well, the idea is to eat more healthy and at a calorie level that you can maintain for the long term. Same goes for exercise, you have to find a level and duration of effort that you think you can continue doing for the long term. It is easy to be a psycho in the gym and in the kitchen for a few months and lose a lot of weight but it's very difficult to live that way the rest of your life.
  • martinel2099
    martinel2099 Posts: 899 Member
    Both heavy workout and heavy dieting sound like temporary things. The problem with doing something (extreme) and temporary is it doesn't really help you maintain the weight you lost. Some 90-95% of people re-gain the weight they lost (I'm one of them).

Figure out a strategy that you can live with now & the transition into the future. This is why moderate calorie reduction and moderate exercise are helpful. These can become lifestyle changes.

The threads that jwhited posted are really helpful.

Very well said+++
  • Jbarbo01
    Jbarbo01 Posts: 240 Member
    Diet, but youll end up flabby at the end. Your body will eat your fat and muscle without any working out. I found this out the hard way. I lose pounds at a consistent and fast pace eating a very strict low cal diet and not exercising but Im pretty flabby even if Im thinner.
  • I believe the saying is "you can't out-exercise a bad diet".

IMHO you need to start out by reviewing and making adjustments to your diet by logging everything and eating at a deficit.

Exercising is great for overall health, but if you work out like a maniac and still eat more than your body needs, you will not lose weight. You need not overcomplicate this.

Good luck!
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,151 Member
    Deficit = weight loss. Exercise is for health, keeping you tone, and most important helping retain muscle while you're losing fat.
  • RET68
    RET68 Posts: 88
    My first calorie restriction diet I lost 18lbs, I gained back 38 pounds over the next few years not eating all that badly. Next diet with intense exercise (45 min running a day, and weight lifting) I got ripped and lost 30 pounds. Over the next few years gained 45 pounds and stopped exercising. You would think I would see the pattern here, but no. I had a kid, was going to graduate school, couldn't be bothered to think!! ; ) Stayed stable with basic nutrition for my kids sake, and hiking for a few more years then gained 50 pounds with my second kid. That leaves me 225, fat, miserable. and seemingly no amount of weight lifting, hiking (I can no longer really run as I'm too fat) will help and I tear a shoulder cuff, then tear a tendon in my ankle as my body just cannot handle the weight. Third kid, and I almost die repeatedly, spend months in the hospital on CRAP food. And, I realize, I'm 250. This time, I've been working out slowly in the pool. Occasionally lifting with a trainer, Carefully, adding nutrition and not going hungry at all. I found this site a few weeks ago, and the software has really helped me patch some wholes in my eating plan, But, and boy is it a big Butt, if I could tell you anything. You can pull weight off with extreme diet or exercise, but you will only ruin your muscle tone, destroy your metabolism, weaken your musculature and connective tissue to the point where it will snap, And then you will only gain it back with extra.
  • gingerpeachy6
    gingerpeachy6 Posts: 74 Member
    My first calorie restriction diet I lost 18lbs, I gained back 38 pounds over the next few years not eating all that badly. Next diet with intense exercise (45 min running a day, and weight lifting) I got ripped and lost 30 pounds. Over the next few years gained 45 pounds and stopped exercising. You would think I would see the pattern here, but no. I had a kid, was going to graduate school, couldn't be bothered to think!! ; ) Stayed stable with basic nutrition for my kids sake, and hiking for a few more years then gained 50 pounds with my second kid. That leaves me 225, fat, miserable. and seemingly no amount of weight lifting, hiking (I can no longer really run as I'm too fat) will help and I tear a shoulder cuff, then tear a tendon in my ankle as my body just cannot handle the weight. Third kid, and I almost die repeatedly, spend months in the hospital on CRAP food. And, I realize, I'm 250. This time, I've been working out slowly in the pool. Occasionally lifting with a trainer, Carefully, adding nutrition and not going hungry at all. I found this site a few weeks ago, and the software has really helped me patch some wholes in my eating plan, But, and boy is it a big Butt, if I could tell you anything. You can pull weight off with extreme diet or exercise, but you will only ruin your muscle tone, destroy your metabolism, weaken your musculature and connective tissue to the point where it will snap, And then you will only gain it back with extra.

so very well said :smile:
  • Moriarty_697
    Moriarty_697 Posts: 226 Member
    It should never be an either/or thing or else you wind up fighting yourself. I tried going the exercise only route once. It was fun but pointless. I didn't really see the sort of progress I wanted until I accepted that diet and exercise are intertwined.
  • 59gi
    59gi Posts: 307 Member
    I believe that the best approach is 80% diet and 20% exercise. Your diet should include enough protein to avoid muscle loss. Restrict junk, since they give you no nutritional value and they also raise your blood sugar in an unhealthy levels.
  • For the best results you need both

Diet - shoot for a low carb plan , like atkins or the ethosien diet ( im rocking it at the moment)

Workout - dont go crazy pick a plan you can ramp up over time as you get stronger and fitter