For all of you gym goers

Options
Hi everybody!
I'm going to become a member of a gym tomorrow for the first time and I am not sure what to expect.
In the gym there's also a sauna and a smallish, but still usable swimming pool, thought I'm mostly gonna concentrate on the exercising part.
So, what can I expect from a gym? What has it done for you regarding weight loss? Do you think that it has more effects than workout videos like The 30 day shred for example?

Replies

• s_pekz
    s_pekz Posts: 340 Member
    Options
    A gym is just a tool. You only get out of it what you put in. So you could walk slowly on the treadmil for 5 minutes and call it a workout, and true its better than nothing but its not going to do too much. Push yourself slowly. Vary the workouts, find what you like and what you hate. Avoid the hate and do what you enjoy.

A gym is just a room of equipment. YOu only get something out of it if you put in the effort.
  • rmdaly
    rmdaly Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    I'm kind of an introvert, so I like going to classes at the gym. I've met some great people there. I stay in the back until I get the hang of the class and when I start seeing the same people, it makes it easier to go back. Being in classes with people makes me push myself more than a workout video. Also a good teacher will help correct your form. I tried 30-day-shred but wasn't consistent. I imagine that by the end of 30 days you are tired of the same 3 workouts. Classes will be a little different each time.

If you go at the same time every day/week, you will start seeing the same people it becomes more social.

For me, if a class is scheduled at the gym, I find it much easier to get to than doing stuff at home. At home, there is always something else that needs to be done. If I workout at the gym, then when I get home, I don't have to think about it. But it all depends on your situation.
  • rdavidson180
    rdavidson180 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    My first months in a gym where I did about 3 hours aerobic and 3 hours of resistance a week via a mix of free weights and machines were a bit disconcerting as my weight flat-lined; there was no movement for nearly 3-4 months, and then it crept down for another 3. I did fill in one or two 3 mile jogs a week if I wasn't day hiking in the local mountains. I was a male in his mid-50's who has fairly aerobically fit but had done little or no resistance training in years. I had roughnecked and mountaineered in my 20-30's and had built up long ropy muscles that had atrophied for years. I didn't lose weight asI lost fat and filled out the muscle. Two pant sizes fell away in six months before I started showing a loss at the scales. It was good news when I finally figured it out.

My YMCA that I use for a gym has a good spectrum of classes and I personally do best with class rigor with good leaders or instructors. Most men don't but that what works for me.
  • eswane
    Options
    Expect nothing. The gym can be fun, it is what you make it. Don't expect to be "ripped" overnight. Most of those people have been going for a long time. Advice don't step on the scale everyday, once a week was much better for my mental health.Find out what you like. I like to do mock tri-athalons. Start off on the treadmill then go to the stationary bike and finish swimming. I did this at first because I didn't know how to use the machines or weights and was too embarrassed to ask for help. You don't want to pull or build muscles wrong so learn the correct way to do things. The staff is there to help you. Just ask. Always clean and disinfect your machines sweat can be gross.

Regarding weight loss, it has helped overall especially in maintaining my weight after losing and health in general. Exercising does not cancel a bad diet. It did give me a little wiggle room when counting calories if I either went over or wanted a glass or two of wine. Try to find something that you will do long term.

I don't think it has more effects but different effects. Workout videos are done in solitude usually, but at the gym there are other people around to push you. At the gym you can tailor your workout to what you want to do. Some gyms offer classes that are included with the member ship ranging from step aerobics, kickboxing, to yoga ( i love yoga-great for stretching). Also some gyms have weight loss programs. For example they might give you a sheet of paper with ten things to do on it. You would jog down your times and reps, and track your fitness over a period of time.

If something hurts - stop doing it immediately.

Good Luck
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    As others have said its what you make of it. Use it, work it, get it!
  • onefortyone
    onefortyone Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    My apartment has a fitness centre and it is very very small. I mainly stick to the treadmill, and then work out my arms/back on the machines, then go home. It takes me 30-40 minutes a day, and I get all sweaty and exhausted, and I feel accomplished.

I much prefer the gym to at-home workouts - after all, before I had a gym I could still run outside, could still do the Jillian Michaels videos. But I didn't have the motivation - home is a relaxation space for me, not a jumping-around-in-a-sports-bra place. But that's just me.

The treadmill allows me to set goals and accomplish them (first I ran a mile straight, then I ran for 20 minutes straight - next up, 2 miles straight. Then, 2 miles in 20 minutes). Using the weight machines is also linear - doing more sets of 10, increasing the weights when possible. It feels more like measurable progress, and something I can maintain.
  • No_Finish_Line
    No_Finish_Line Posts: 3,662 Member
    Options
    your weight loss will hinge far more on your nutrition.

exercise will help you get there faster but without getting your nutrition right you'll never get to where you want to be.
  • MityMax96
    MityMax96 Posts: 5,778 Member
    Options
    Hi everybody!
    I'm going to become a member of a gym tomorrow for the first time and I am not sure what to expect.
    In the gym there's also a sauna and a smallish, but still usable swimming pool, thought I'm mostly gonna concentrate on the exercising part.
    So, what can I expect from a gym? What has it done for you regarding weight loss? Do you think that it has more effects than workout videos like The 30 day shred for example?

Caloric Deficit is what gets weigh loss.
    Working out (with weights or resistance) is what gets you sexy when you lose the weight.

I prefer the gym cause
    -- I am there to workout, and that is my world, my therapy
    -- I like other people's energy
    -- gets me out of the house
    -- plenty of equipment to work with
    -- no distractions (for the most part)
    -- can gain from other people's knowledge/insight
  • ana3067
    ana3067 Posts: 5,623 Member
    Options
    Exercise is not for weight loss, it's for fitness and helping you shape your body (if you weight train). Exercise can help with weight loss, but assuming you maintain a stable deficit % regardless of your activity levels, then it won't help you lose more weight. Meaning if you can maintain now on 2200 calories and eat 1800 cals to lose weight, and with exercise your new maintenance is 2500 cals, then you'd be eating at 2000 cals to lose weight because you are retaining a stable deficit. But if you keep eating 1800 then your deficit is now larger.

But exercise itself isn't causing you to lose more weight; having a larger caloric difference is. So keep that in mind.

Also, regardless of your exercise methods and goals, KNOW what you're there to do. Have a plan. I see SO many women in the weight area who basically look like they are just doing whatever exercises they saw someone else doing - hell, I was that woman a few years ago lol. KNow what your goals are and figure out what kind of exercise will help you achieve those goals. If your goal is to be able to run a marathon, then you train in a way conducive to this. If your goal is to be ripped, then you adjust your eating to minimize muscle loss and train hard in the weight area using an actual program (can be one you find or one you devise, but in either case you need to know WHY you are doing this program and why these exercises are being used, what they work, etc) until you are able to start your bulk.

I go to the gym because.. I'd not be able to meet my aesthetic goals easily without it. I've tried working out at home and it doesn't work for me.
  • SmartForAGirl
    SmartForAGirl Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I like the variety that the gym gives me. Some days I get on the bike and I'm just not feeling it so I'll move on to something else.

Don't be intimidated. You'll be new for a little while but then newer people will join and you'll be the one who knows where the towels are and which machines work best and when the gym is too crowded. And, hopefully, you'll see those new people and how nervous they are and you'll encourage them.

A gym is a great community to motivate you and share collective wisdom.
  • DeadliftAddict
    DeadliftAddict Posts: 746 Member
    Options
    Creepers. Nothing but creepers.
  • meridianova
    meridianova Posts: 438 Member
    Options
    Hi everybody!

the biggest thing i expect from any gym is time to myself to focus on me. i expect machines in good working order (and lots of them so you're not waiting around), i expect that both the clientele and the staff will leave me alone unless i need something. i expect that the locker rooms are spacious enough that you're not tripping over people while you change clothes.

as far as what it's done for me for weight loss... i honestly can't answer that because my rate of loss is ridiculously slow with OR without exercise. but it's strengthened my resolve, i have more endurance, and i'm physically stronger because of it.
  • Chain_Ring
    Chain_Ring Posts: 753 Member
    Options
    Working out outside is wayyyyyyyyy better.
  • DeadliftAddict
    DeadliftAddict Posts: 746 Member
    Options
    Working out outside is wayyyyyyyyy better.

There's nothing outside that will help me squat 405 pounds though.