Anyone here cutting?

Options
If so how many calories are you losing fat on?

Replies

• MariahRea
    MariahRea Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I am losing weight on 1,200 calories a day at 55% protein, 25% carbs, and 20% good fats, but cycling carbs. I am losing approximately 6 to 13 inches a week. I don't like to weigh myself because a lot of times my weight will stay the same because i lift hard. But i am 5'11 and i weigh 213 lbs right now. i eat 5 to 6 times a day small meals.
  • welshjohn
    Options
    You might get a better response in any other thread other than this one: Goal: Gaining Weight ha. :)
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    You might get a better response in any other thread other than this one: Goal: Gaining Weight ha. :)

well- not necessarily true.

Most of the people in here who are regular gainers or know stuff about stuff- they do cut bulk cycles- so they can be extremely helpful.

It's the same as gaining- you eat at 2-400 calories under your maintenance- which you need to trial and error to figure out yourself- my numbers will not be your numbers, and on line calculators are guesses- it takes trial and error to get you what you need to know.

For me I'm aiming for 1500-1600 and I do eat back a portion of my calories- and I"m losing- SLOWLY. But- I'm not exceptionally over weight- and I'm just cutting about 10-15 pure vanity pounds- I'm healthy as a horse currently where I am.

I'm 5'8" 160 pounds and a woman- so again- my numbers will be different than yours.
  • NRBreit
    NRBreit Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    I recently completed a cut from 186 lbs. to 165 lbs. I started at 2,200 cals until I stalled in the low 170's, then went down to 1,900 cals. Macros where approx. 165g Protein, 150g Carbs, 80g Fat.
  • Ow3593
    Ow3593 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Yeah, I asked this question here because I saw that a lot of people lift and are trying to gain muscle, so I didn't want to bother people who don't. If that makes any sense.
  • 3laine75
    3laine75 Posts: 3,070 Member
    Options
    I'm cutting on 1680 (35/35/30 macros) MFP says that should be 1 lb a week but it works out at about 0.5 a week for me - I tried cutting on more but it wasn't happening for me.

I'm female too though so that'd be way off for you.

It's definitely not not an exact science - you can use calculators to get a rough idea but then you have to fiddle about with it to find what works for you.
  • Ow3593
    Ow3593 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I'm currently cutting on 2200 calories, should I lower that a little more because weight loss is really slow. My maintenance prior was around 2500-2800 calories a day. The only reason why I'm afraid of lowering the calories too much is because of the potential for a lot of muscle loss.
  • 3laine75
    3laine75 Posts: 3,070 Member
    Options
    As long as the losses are still coming, I'd stick with it. Think about lowering if the losses start to stall. Lowering it now might mean you'd have to do it again, if you know what I mean?! :/
  • maizerage66
    maizerage66 Posts: 367 Member
    Options
    I'm 6'0" 205lb male and I'm doing a very slow cut at 2500 calories. I'm not in any hurry so I won't be decreasing it unless I know for sure that I'm not losing. I cycle my calories and carbs depending on the day. More carbs for more calories on lifting days, less carbs and less calories on off/cardio days.
  • civilizedworm
    civilizedworm Posts: 796 Member
    Options
    Last six months I've just been trying to get back in shape after a 4.5 year break, so I did a minor cut and ate around 2K a day and now I feed about 3K to 3.5K a day (at maintenance) and I'll continue to eat this way for pretty much the winter. Near the end of February I'll begin a cut because beach body.... but how in the heck am I going to live without all those glorious extra calories?
  • yass4fitness
    yass4fitness Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I am on week 2 of Shortcut to Shred. So far I am doing noticeable progress.

I'm not eating based on calories, but instead the program focus is on macros. In this second week I'm eating 1.5 grams of protein per body weight lb, 1 g of carbs pero body weight lb, and 0.5 g of fat per body weight lb (having a little trouble reaching the fats goal though. So in terms of calories that is about 2644 calories a day.
  • butterbear1980
    butterbear1980 Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    Currently cutting at 2030/day ~10% cut from TDEE. Loosing.25-.5#/week. 5'3" 140, large frame. Cutting to 130. Then maintnence at 133-135 for 12 weeks then ssssssllllloooow bulk to 135-138.
  • kathleenjoyful
    kathleenjoyful Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    I bulked up 5kgs. My maintenance calories are about 3000-3400 a day (I have a BodyMedia), so my cut at the moment is about 400 less. I find any more and I get too hungry. I guess it's about a 10% deficit. I'm definitely losing fat but I don't weigh myself that often. I can feel and see physique changes, and much more solid muscle, all over.
  • steveocy1
    steveocy1 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I am on a 17 day hard cut. So far I am averaging 2004 cals a day which is a 1237 average daily deficit. My deficit is higher M-F and a little more reasonable on the weekends. My daughter has been sick all week so I have only managed two workouts. If I hit my belly measurement early I will quit the cut early and go into maintenance until I adjust to my next workout endeavor.
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    Cut on about 2800-3000 cals.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    As long as the losses are still coming, I'd stick with it. Think about lowering if the losses start to stall. Lowering it now might mean you'd have to do it again, if you know what I mean?! :/

this.

no reason to make yourself crazy.

if you're still losing 1/2 pound a week on average- you're fine.
  • Springfield1970
    Springfield1970 Posts: 1,945 Member
    Options
    Cut from February to September 100 cals under maintenance or at maintenance. Went from 132lb to 127lb. That's a massive 5lb loss. It came after a bulk, and I think I've managed to keep most of my muscle I slaved to build last winter. I ate adequate protein and kept heavy lifting.

As they say in England, RESULT.
  • Springfield1970
    Springfield1970 Posts: 1,945 Member
    Options
    I'm 6'0" 205lb male and I'm doing a very slow cut at 2500 calories. I'm not in any hurry so I won't be decreasing it unless I know for sure that I'm not losing. I cycle my calories and carbs depending on the day. More carbs for more calories on lifting days, less carbs and less calories on off/cardio days.

What's your daily maintenance figure? 2500 seems low for a guy your size, sorry! Just being nosy!
  • mastrain222
    Options
    Can someone please define "cutting?" Thanks!
  • Squatch3099
    Squatch3099 Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    1,400 to 1,500. Keeps me satisfied so far.:flowerforyou: