When will I start seeing results on the scale?

Options
Hi all,
I have been very dedicated to my new found love of exercise and healthy life style. I am aiming to drop 50lbs, and have been working towards this for almost 3 weeks. Though I can already see results in my body shape, I still haven't seen any difference on the scale. I am not concerned, because I know that it will come eventually, but was wondering when others began to see actual weight loss, and not just change in measurement? I know that measurement is the most important factor, but would like to see that scale change as well :)

Replies

• 4legsRbetterthan2
    4legsRbetterthan2 Posts: 19,590 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Unfortunately there is no real answer to that question, it just depends for different people. You will see some people who get huge drops the first few weeks, other people don't see anything for a few weeks. The best advice I can give you is to just keep at it and keep weighing yourself, over time you will learn your bodies trends.

Since you are new here I would highly reccommend reading these two posts:
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1234699-logging-accurately-step-by-step-guide
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1080242-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants

Log everything, every single day, even if it is a "cheat" meal or whatever. If you go to the nutrition tab on the app you can see a bar graph of your entire week. Make sure you keep an eye on that and make sure you are meeting your weekly goals as well as creating a deficit daily. The most common reason beginners do not see the results they want is because they are either not logging accurately (eating more than they think) or think if they diet 6 days a week they can eat whatever they want on the 7th. Thats not to say you can never indulge, but if you don't track it then you don't know how you are effecting your overall deficit. Its common for people to erase all the hard work they did the rest of the week with one day.
  • terbusha
    terbusha Posts: 1,483 Member
    Options
    Everyone is going to be different for this. Some start losing right away, some it takes time. If you're seeing changes in body composition, you are on the right path and reducing your body fat, which as you said is the most important thing. Keep at it, the weight loss will come.

How is your nutrition? What is your calorie and macro goals for the day? Are you hitting them consistently? Are you having "cheat days"?

Allan
  • juliahassell
    Options
    Thanks so much for the responses. Your information has been very helpful. I have been under my calorie goal everyday, and its currently at 1650 cals a day without exercise included. I have been working out 5-6 days a week, with active rest days. I have actually been able to mainly stay away from cheat meals, but have indulged on small scales.
  • lemonsurprise
    lemonsurprise Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    For me it was literally instantly. I decided to calorie count and the scales went down the next morning!