First Time Dieting / Attempting Weight Loss...Suggestions?

Options
Hi all and first let me say good luck to all of you on your weight loss, welcome to better health adventure!

Here is my situation:
27 female, no children
180 current weight at a height of 5'4
My goal is to be back at 115 as I was around 20. At the time I was a toned and healthy weight for my build and I feel I have no reason or excuse why that should not be attainable again.

Granted I LOVE Mountain Dew I am able to cut if off. I also do not have a problem with eating healthy and natural foods, so I feel very fortunate in that area. I wonder though with a significant and correct change in my dieting habits and with adding at least 1 -2 hours of day of bicycling, with some possible other activities, what should I set in my mind to think I may be possible of loosing at a safe rate per week and month. I would like to set goals for myself to aim towards, but do not want to aim unrealistically and let myself down if it is not accomplished. I have also read that crash dieting and extreme goals from starving ones self could lead to serious health conditions such as gallbladder problems for those people. Are there health risks involved like those with healthy weight loss?

Thank you for all your help!

Replies

• JenaePavlak
    JenaePavlak Posts: 350 Member
    Options
    I'm kinda of the same situation as you. I'm 24, 5'5", no kids, used to be 125 lbs from 17-20 years old (ex-BMX Racer, and always loved lifting weights) but left the Air Force in Jan 09 (at 150 lbs) and went up to 175 in october. I'm also a huge Mountain Dew fan and a couple years ago I switched to diet dew just because I can't get rid of it, and it does help! This last november I started doing my regular workouts again and my goal is to lose 1 - 1.5 lbs a week. I've lost 13 lbs in a little less than 3 months. Make sure you set small goals along the way towards your big goal and reward your self when their achieved! It is do-able! Just find ways to add in more exercise with different activities.
  • xxangelxx555
    Options
    I dont go by the number on the scale because its kinda bullsh*t because 3 lbs of fat is = 1 lb of muscle, i go by the pinch test (pinch your bulgier parts) and the size test (what size you wear, in comparison to the old), but pretty much for the first few months ignore your weight just make good choices food wise, the results will blow you away =]
  • jessyjade22
    Options
    I read a report that said that losing more than 2-3 lbs a week isn't healthy so aim for around that I guess. As far as crashing dieting, don't change your diet to where you would hate still doing it 3 weeks down the road. If you can do something for that long then either you're very stubborn about an unhealthy diet or it's good for you and works well for you personally.
  • kaybeepickles
    Options
    Jenae we are similar in the numbers!

Thanks for the replies so far!

Have any of you considered doing like photos in say a bathing suit along the way? I thought about taking photos from a front view, side and back. And along the way taking photos in same views to see if I can see a difference also beyond just checking the mirror.
  • MindyC7609
    MindyC7609 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    My biggest recommendation would be NOT to consider this a diet or even something temporary. You need to make all the small changes that you can stick with (for the most part) for the rest of your life. 1-2 pounds per week is a safe, healthy weight loss that you SHOULD be able to keep off.

Six years ago, I weighed 250 pounds (I'm 5'4"). I got down to 160 before I had my son in 2007. I got up to 225 while pregnant, but slowly (oh so slowly!) took a good chunk of it back off. I was 172 when I started my current battle to take off at LEAST another 20 pounds. So, how did I do it? I started MOVING. I made working out a normal, every day part of my life. Two years ago, I took up running and found that I love it, so it's become really important to me. I'm back to strip off this extra weight so that I can be a faster runner!

So...first work on being consistent about exercising 5-6 days a week, then work on your eating habits. I focus on eating whole foods -- lean meats, fresh/frozen fruits and veggies. I think people make it more difficult than it has to be, eating all that processed "diet" food, supplements, etc. Whole food is a natural way to eat. And being here on MFP is most helpful, because it can help you track your calorie intake and make you more portion-aware.

Just don't stress out about it and work on everything gradually... Don't worry about when you have "bad" days -- you have the rest of your life to keep moving forward. If you stick with it and DON'T give up, it will happen. Good luck! :o)