Knee pain from running? advice please!

Options
When I had lost about 75 pounds I started running but only a little.. I ended up quitting because of knee pain.. I have now lost 110 and have seriously taken up running. I plan to run my first 5k in October.. Right now I can only run a mile without stopping but I am improving. .

But now my knees are KILLING me! Either they don't hurt as bad when I run or I don't notice it but the rest of the day they hurt so bad.. I have them ace bandaged now and put Epsom salt in my bath water tonight. .

What should I do? I sure hope I don't have to give up running because I LOVE it!

Replies

• VelveteenArabian
    VelveteenArabian Posts: 758 Member
    Options
    Go to a proper running store and get yourself fitted for shoes. A RUNNING store, not just anyplace that sells sneakers.
  • sistrsprkl
    sistrsprkl Posts: 1,013 Member
    Options
    First of all, do you have the option of going to physical therapy? That's probably what I'd do. It may even be just one visit but they could give you specific exercises to do.
    I also used to get very bad knee pain when I was newer to running. I guess I just took it slow and now my knees never hurt. I also think yoga has helped. I wouldn't give it up just yet but don't push through the pain too much or you could do some damage.
  • lmaking
    Options
    See if you can visit a physiotherapist first and foremost.

I used to suffer severe knee pain and never thought I could run but I worked with a physiotherapist and can now do 10km. Trick is keeping up the exercises so the pain never comes back.

For me, the issue was my iliotibial band (or IT band) and I do the following:
    - foam roller stretches https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RoHBDim_fzk ; hurts like the ****ens but it gets better and feels great after
    - squats with a small medicine ball between my knees to build up the inner thigh muscles
    - and of course, stretch, stretch, stretch (yoga is perfect!)

Hope you figure out what's going on!
  • bluntlysally
    bluntlysally Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    like other have said, good sneakers and go to a pt and learn the proper form for some strengthening exercises. i heart my foam roller, but i actually use it for my back/shoulders.

a lot of knee problems are actually problems with your glutes. butt strengthening exercises will help (like squats, etc) - and your backside will look better too. ;)
  • deoxy4
    deoxy4 Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    I'm 61. I ran in my 30's and 40's. I was not a high mileage runner, 7-10 miles a week. In my mid forties I got knee pain. I did some research and decided to give up running. I chose to bike, hike and walk. Within a few months the pain went away. I have not run since. I get all I need from lower impact exercise. I am thankful I made the change.

I also find that keeping a good BMI helps soften the impact on the knee. I read somewhere that 10 extra pounds of weight exerts 60 pounds of force on the knee when walking. You can imagine the extra force exerted when running.
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    What should I do? I sure hope I don't have to give up running because I LOVE it!

It could be one of a number of things, but I'd support the suggestions upthread about getting your footwear checked out at a proper running shop.

Other sources of the issue could be doing too much, too soon. How are you training to increase your distance? Don't worry too much about pace.

Equally your running form might be the issue. Overstriding can place stresses on the knee, similarly issues with the IT Band, that runs from hip to knee, can cause knee pain. That's a stretching issue.
  • bradsbaby1996
    bradsbaby1996 Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    I am using nike+ running and try to increase ny distance a little each day..
    I don't know if this plays a factor but I'm very "pigeon toed".. my feet turn in very badly..
  • kristanvdub
    kristanvdub Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    Being Pigeon Toed could affect you, since your alignment is off. Like others have said get fitted for proper running shoes and be sure to discuss all this with the sales person, they may recommend you also get inserts for your shoes. I have high arches so I have to use inserts with a lot of arch support and that has helped a lot with my knee pain.
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    I am using nike+ running and try to increase ny distance a little each day..

That's a reasonable approach, although you may benefit from a structured plan to help, there are plenty around.
    I don't know if this plays a factor but I'm very "pigeon toed".. my feet turn in very badly..'s

I'd suggest that's very likely to affect your gait, so it's almost certainly a contributor to the knee pain. There are a number of things you can do, shoes may help, equally a short pace at reasonably high cadence will help avoid the temptation to overstride.