RAVE on pasta/noodle substitution

patjad
patjad Posts: 55 Member
edited September 23 in Food and Nutrition
I just learned of this new product called Tofu Shirataki. It's a pasta alternative that is ridiculously low in calories, carbs, and fat!!
An entire 8 oz package has only 40 calories! :smile:
I promise everyone I do not work for the company and I am not paid to talk about it.
I definitely think everyone should try this though. The texture is a little different and definitely more like a noodle than a pasta but it's so healthy.
Honestly, I didn't believe that this stuff could be so low calorie so i even googled it and have found nothing but reassurance.
Anyway, I just wanted to introduce this product to everyone because I know how hard it is to give up on noodles and pasta when dieting and I think this is a fantastic alternative.
Hope SOMEONE tries it! :bigsmile:

Replies

• jamie1888
    jamie1888 Posts: 1,704 Member
    Yup! I love the stuff! Key is to rinsing the noodles well. They are rubbery.. but, if you can get over the texture, great way to fill up for very few calories!
  • jillcaudill
    jillcaudill Posts: 54 Member
    where do you get this?
  • o2blori
    o2blori Posts: 168 Member
    where do you get this?

I can't find it either
  • johaleesi
    johaleesi Posts: 55 Member
    I actually read about those noodles this weekend and bought a packet yesterday when I went grocery shopping. Thinking about having them for dinner tonight. I'll let you know how they come out.
  • http://www.house-foods.com/Tofu/tofu_shirataki_store.aspx#WA

Just click on your state and it will tell you the stores that carry it.

Thanks for this idea for a pasta substitute! --I am always looking for gluten-free pasta alternatives. Is the texture similar to Quinoa noodles? (if you have had them before)
  • cdino
    cdino Posts: 29 Member
    I would also like to know where you buy those? I have looked in my local supermarket but maybe I am not looking in the right section?
    I would really like to try them....
    Thanks!
  • patjad
    patjad Posts: 55 Member
    I bought them at an asian food market. I just googled where to buy them for you guys.
    The best i can tell is most asian markets will have them and sometimes a plain old regular grocery store might, too.
    I would also check organic stores.
    If you're really interested, you can get them for cheap online...but that involves waiting for them.
    Sorry, I hope you guys can find them!
  • johaleesi
    johaleesi Posts: 55 Member
    where do you get this?

I got lucky. I found them at my local supermarket in the produce section where they have the bean sprouts.
  • jamie1888
    jamie1888 Posts: 1,704 Member
    Usually by the tofu! I find them at Whole Foods and Safeway.
  • bluespring
    bluespring Posts: 201 Member
    Yep. I love them too.
    Can't wait to try them with ...Fettuccine Hungry Girlfredo!
    Only 80 calories for the entire 8 oz package with sauce.
    Blue
  • myukniewicz
    myukniewicz Posts: 906 Member
    i love them too!
    i have some in my fridge now actually :)
    i enjoy them in stir fry, or with clam sauce...
    pretty much any way! ha ha
  • wolfchild59
    wolfchild59 Posts: 2,608 Member
    I love 'em, but only the angel hair style. The other ones are too thick and no matter what I do I can't get the texture better.

For the angel hair ones after the draining and rinsing, I nuke 'em for a minute then squeeze 'em super tight in a paper towel to get as much moisture as possible out. Then I use my kitchen shears and cut 'em into super small, bite size pieces. And with whatever recipe I'm doing (I have a very highly modified version of the flavorless [to me and the hubby] Hungry cheese sauce, a more typical pasta style mix and a spicy Asian style stir fry type dish that are my go tos with them) I put them in the own to cook with the rest of the ingredients. The more moisture you can get out of them the less chewy and rubbery they'll be. And cutting them into the smaller pieces also means less need to bite through them since they're already tiny. Because I find that the weird "snap" of the texture can kill the dish if they happen to still be a bit rubbery.
  • stargzrlily
    stargzrlily Posts: 83 Member
    My best friend told me about these. They can be found in Asian markets.I don't have one in my town but now Ingles carries them in the produce aisle. So if you live in the Southern U.S you can get them there.
This discussion has been closed.