phentermine? Has anyone taken it?

razlendazle09
razlendazle09 Posts: 10
edited September 23 in Health and Weight Loss
Hey, my name is Kelsey, I have a under active thyroid and have tried everything in the book to loose weight. I work out 6 days a week for an hour to an hour in a half and haven't lost anything, I am seriously thinking about asking my doctor about this pill. Has anyone else taken it?

Replies

• o2blori
    o2blori Posts: 168 Member
    I did take it and lost a lot of weight, but it just came back. Now that I'm losing weight with eating right and working out, it's a lot better of a choice for me. I also was very jittery when I took that pill.
  • HolsDoinIt
    HolsDoinIt Posts: 327 Member
    i have taken it and it works pretty good...it helps supress your appeitie and boosts your metabolism...its very good if you're not having trouble w/ losing weight...
  • momogogo
    momogogo Posts: 159 Member
    I had a doctor perscribe a couple of years ago. I lost about 9lbs and gained 15 back. Ugh!
  • 33KIKI
    33KIKI Posts: 304
    I used it and lost on it. No funny effects but was also watching what I ate and stuff so that it would help me loose more. Good luck with it.
  • msmith101
    msmith101 Posts: 22 Member
    I have taken it and am still taking it every once in a while to help me curb my appetite. I have always had a big appetite and could eat a lot, even when I was thinner... That is part of my problem. My stomach growls for food even when I shouldn't really be hungry. I also have High Blood Pressure so when taking this pill that is one thing my doctor watches closely because it can elevate your blood pressure. But it does help me a great deal. Usually I only take it Monday thru Friday though and not on the weekends. Just talk to your doctor to decide if it is right for you... It is definately not something for long term though. But if it can help you get a jump start to get things going it might be worth it.
    Good Luck and stay positive... It is a long but worthwhile journey...
    :flowerforyou:
  • jdelisle
    jdelisle Posts: 1,050 Member
    Diet pills are very unhealthy, especially that one! Besides being full of body harming chemicals, they generally help people lose weight temporarily, but most people gain the weight back and then some as soon as they stop talking the pill.

Phentermine first received approval from the FDA as an appetite suppressing drug and became available as such in the early 70's... (you know, when they used to call amphetamines weight loss pills (aka today's 'speed' or 'meth') The company voluntarily pulled their product from the market in 1998 after numerous cases of heart valve disease were reported from their users. Now it's back on the market and no better than it was before. Also, there has been virtually no clinical research on phentermine! Kind of scary.

I'm not trying to sound preachy, but weight loss drugs are BAD.
  • Nailrep
    Nailrep Posts: 966 Member
    I took it. You can lose alot of weight. BUT most doctors only want you taking this to jumpstart a diet - say the first two weeks to a month. It is known to lose its efficency after about a month.

If you are just eating too much because you get really hungry between meals, then it might help you. BUT, if you are an emotional eater, you will eat even if you take it and it won't be effective.
  • I just started phentermine (30 mg) 1 week ago today. I lost 7.2 lbs this week. It really suppresses my appetite. Of course, I am thrilled with the weight loss. I am keeping track of weight watcher points and calories to see what I am using. I have been eating about 900 calories a day. My personal opinion is is that phentermine is not the right way to lose weight. You should change your eating habits, exercise and drink plenty of water. They do help you lose weight but if you don't change your lifestyle while you are on them, you definitley will gain the weight back. Those who choose to use it should use it as an aid while changing your lifestyle. Also, it should only be taken short term. I do think I am taking the easy way out. My hope is that I continue to change my lifestyle because if I don't, I guarantee I will gain it all back and QUICKLY too. Have you ever just felt so desperate and miserable you don't care? I am so sick of being fat.
  • By the way, I am petrified of failing.
  • Lisa1971
    Lisa1971 Posts: 3,069 Member
    Hi Kelsey!:flowerforyou: No, I haven't taken it but I LOVE LOVE LOVE your name! (It's also my daughter's name!:love: ) Have a great day!
  • chefkev
    chefkev Posts: 155 Member
    I'm taking Phentermine now. For the first time in my life (and I am an executive chef) I can walk away from food.
    I lost 24 pound in the first 24 days. I am finally in control of my eating. I LOVE this medication.
    I am on a Dr supervised plan. I eat very low carb, exercise daily, record everything, have blood tests, etc. I am already off half my diabetes medicine and may be free of them totally soon!
    This can be a great tool, but it is only a tool. My Dr only allows it's use for up to 6 months.
  • Hsanders3961
    Hsanders3961 Posts: 245 Member
    I took phentermine about two years ago and lost 20 lbs in about 3 months. My resting heart rate was around 120 and, quite honestly, that scared me, so I went off of them. Now, two years later, I have gained back those 20 lbs and added an ADDITIONAL 20 lbs on top of that.

I started using MFP about a month ago and after about a week, I decided to use the phentermine again to jump start the weight loss. After a week of taking it, I hadn't lost a single pound. I havent asked a doctor, but I think it was that since I was already only eating 1200 cals a day, the phentermine was burning too many cals and my body was latching onto all that it could. So I got back off of them after a week and have lost a pound or two since.

My opinion--yes, they work- TEMPORARILY. I do NOT think they are good on your body, heart, or metabolism but if you are desperate for a quick jump-start, they will work for that. I do think that is is very important for you to KNOW that you can maintain exercising and eating right after you get off of them, otherwise, I can almost guarantee that you will gain the weight back, and maybe even more.

For me personally, I know that it is healthier for the long run to lose weight with diet and exercise and I know that the hard work will be so worth it once I get there....that is what keeps me from grabbing those pills out of the cabinet when I am desperate! LOL.

Good luck!
This discussion has been closed.