hellllllp!

Options
wjewell
wjewell Posts: 282 Member
Hi there :)

I've been on my weight loss journey for quite sometime (about a year) and I have one part of my body that has not changed.. my lower legs/calves. The muscles have gotten bigger/stronger but the way my legs look, have not changed. It is highly discouraging. I run, I lift, I work my legs often. I see people who are SUPER out of shape who have phenomenal legs, and so i'm just wondering- do some people just naturally have bulky legs? Is there anything I can do to make them just slim up? Is a year not enough time? Sorry for all the questions. It's just the one part of my body that I desperately want to change, but I don't see them changing. Thanks for the advice guys!

Replies

• meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    why not just learn to appreciate them?

much of how we look is determined by genes. the only thing we can do is to make ourselves look the best we can for our body type
  • wjewell
    Options
    I would LOVE to just appreciate them. lol Mentally, I appreciate what they do for me...but I would also like to wear a dress and look nice in it. lol Right now I wear a dress and I just look like I need to lay off the cheeseburgers and go for a run...BUT I'VE BEEN DOING THAT FOR A YEAR! lol
  • Lelah77
    Lelah77 Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    Genetics definitely plays a role, and everyone loses weight in different places first. You might be able to do some serious toning in your legs to get more curves (or fewer). I know you said you run and lift, which builds strength. You might try researching some specific calf toning exercises - heel lifts, stair climbing, and jumping rope I know all tone calves. Maybe if you are able to build muscular definition you will like the look better, even if they don't slim any more.

Also, if you haven't been already, take thigh & calf measurements. Do them again periodically. Maybe you'll measure a slight change that isn't visible to you, which will help you realize you ARE toning your legs.

Keep up the good work!
  • JenniDaisy
    JenniDaisy Posts: 526 Member
    Options
    I really think genetics makes such a difference. I've always had pretty defined legs even at 50lb overweight.
  • Tiredtummum
    Tiredtummum Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    What about Pilates?
  • wjewell
    Options
    Thanks for the responses guys! I am definitely going to keep working, but upon talking to some family--- it seems that it may be genetic. lol. Thats okay, eventually, they have to shape up.....right?! :)
  • terra32907
    terra32907 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    You are beautiful! I doubt people look at you and think about cheeseburgers lol
  • wjewell
    Options
    Lol! Thank you. I definitely still like a good cheeseburger though. ha
  • hearthwood
    hearthwood Posts: 794 Member
    Options
    We all have different body shapes, and it sounds like you're fir. I imagine others are looking at you want to know how to get your legs.

Take care
  • nessa3983
    Options
    You may be overtraining your legs. You should only do leg strength training once a week. At least try and if it doesn't work then I dunno:)
  • Patttience
    Patttience Posts: 975 Member
    Options
    The only thing you can do is to avoid strengthening exercises of your legs. The less exercise you do, the smaller the muscles will be and vice versa.

Try swimming freestyle to work your upper body, dancing for basic cardio. Avoid any weight work.

Then take a look at athletes bodies and notice how they all have different shapes.

Most people, including guys, are not as critical of you as you are. Don't waste too much time on disliking this part of your body. Dress to accentuate your upper body. And choose slimming shoes.
  • kaylafrick
    kaylafrick Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I rode a bike a lot growing up, seriously--A LOT. I also got into weight lifting at around 16 because it was fun to impress my friends by being able to do over 400 lbs on the leg press..... The outcome? I have pretty GINORMOUS legs, that will never go away. Sometimes it's discouraging because I think they look manly, but I've learned to appreciate them because others ask me how I got legs like that. Embrace it, we all have areas we think aren't flattering, when in reality they are to someone else!
    I look at it like the boob dilemma for women: if you have small ones, you want big ones. If you have big ones, you want small ones.
  • wjewell
    Options
    My legs are in no way something that people would be jealous of lol. the muscle is a nice size, but theres absolutely no definition. They just look "fat" lol but yes, you guys are right. Just appreciate them, love them for what they do, and i bet eventually they'll slim up. I guess if I am honest, they do have a little fat that could come off! I'll just stick to my jeans and by next summer, wear the shorts anyway! ;)
  • Elizabethgulick93
    Options
    I don't know if you already do this, but the elliptical machine works wonders. It's the only exercise machine I can stand for more than about 2 seconds lol. I lost a bunch of weight back in 2008, and was solely using the elliptical. I got asked many times if I ran track or played some sort of sport, because of how it toned my legs. Also, I would do squats, leg lifts, and other leg weight exercises. It'll make your legs look more muscular if nothing else.
  • yc4king
    yc4king Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't worry too much about your calves, by the looks of your profile pic nobody will be looking down there, you're beautiful. :love:
  • georgiagreeneyes
    georgiagreeneyes Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    I would LOVE to just appreciate them. lol Mentally, I appreciate what they do for me...but I would also like to wear a dress and look nice in it. lol Right now I wear a dress and I just look like I need to lay off the cheeseburgers and go for a run...BUT I'VE BEEN DOING THAT FOR A YEAR! lol

Haha totally agree with you about the wanting to look stellar in a dress!!!... What types of exercises and cardio are you doing right now to target your legs? When you're weight lifting how many reps are you aiming for?

Perhaps it's time to mix up your routine and see if something starts working for you! I had a similar desire to tone my legs and I really changed up my routine dropped my reps from 10-12 to 8 and upped the weight. That paired with longer endurance cardio (especially the stair steppers) really helped drop inches and tone my legs!
  • wjewell
    Options
    Thank you! I usually do 4 sets of 12 on weights, but I'll try upping the weight and doing maybe 5x8 instead of 4x12. For my cardio I either jog or do the elliptical. Since I injured my ankle, Ive been doing the elliptical more just to take the pressure off. But I will get back to running more soon I think. :)
  • wjewell
    Options
    I wouldn't worry too much about your calves, by the looks of your profile pic nobody will be looking down there, you're beautiful. :love:

Lol thats sweet. Thank you :) But I would really like to show off my runner legs ;) lol You know-show off my hard work a little :)
  • wjewell
    Options
    I don't know if you already do this, but the elliptical machine works wonders. It's the only exercise machine I can stand for more than about 2 seconds lol. I lost a bunch of weight back in 2008, and was solely using the elliptical. I got asked many times if I ran track or played some sort of sport, because of how it toned my legs. Also, I would do squats, leg lifts, and other leg weight exercises. It'll make your legs look more muscular if nothing else.

Thanks ma'am! I do the elliptical 4 days a week for 40 minutes and 2 days a week for 65 minutes :) I also do all of the leg workouts you mentioned, plus some. I do a lot of weights. I love it. I think it's just going to take time to see definition. :)
  • yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,517 Member
    Options
    Oops, posted in wrong thread.