confused with figuring out asjustments to my diet

Options
I have been weight training roughly for a year now and have seen some great gains in muscle definition. I am 5"4 118lbs roughly 12-14 percent body fat. I have areas especially on my lower body where I see fat and I know you cannot spot reduce. I have lowered my calories to 1240 over the past 3 weeks and no signs of fat loss. Should I stick with it a few more weeks, Should I adjust macros or do I need to up my calories a bit...maybe to 1400? Any advice is appreciated!

Replies

• BombshellPhoenix
    BombshellPhoenix Posts: 1,693 Member
    Options
    Have you tried bulking? I know it seems counter productive but at your weight and BF% , I don't think losing weight is a good idea. Gaining weight slowly while weight training is ideal for muscle growth. Having more muscle means having more leanness at a higher weight. However, please understand that we need fat to survive. There is a hormonal component to having body fat and dipping too low is very hard on the body.

I recommend checking out the gaining weight forums and the Eat, Train, Progress group and read up. Good luck!
  • georgiagreeneyes
    georgiagreeneyes Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    When you quoted the calories are those net calories or is that all you are consuming each day? I'd be worried if you were only eating 1240 but were exercising regularly each day. You may not be noticing the results you're looking for because you're putting your body into starvation storage mode. Your basal metabolic rate is likely at least 1350 calories so if you're only eating 1240 but also working out (let's say burning 300-500 calories per workout) you're really not leaving your body much to run on... especially as Bombshell mentioned you need to feed those muscles if you're looking to reduce overall fat loss long term! Keep up the hard work though!!
  • jennjenn760
    jennjenn760 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Bulking scares me a little because I have a hard time losing fat. And I was consuming 1240-1250 regardless of exercise...I eat the calories back. I am going to raise my calories up to 1400 and see what happens over the next 3-4 weeks. I was also doing moderate weights with 15-20 reps...and I do two days of circuit or interval traibing 30 minutes and 3 days of elliptical or jogging 45 minutes. According to MFP and the calories burned...seems off to me. Any suggestions on heart rate monitors?