Any 1000 calorie eaters out there???

Options
Just saying i..... new to this mfp and wondering if there are any 1000 cal intakers here :sad: ..going to be tough but was wondering if or what people eat on 1000 cal intake..

thanks!!

Replies

• AKosky585
    AKosky585 Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    Less than 1200 is strongly discouraged. If you are worried about 1000 not being enough, then you are right..its not enough.
  • nikijohnson8
    nikijohnson8 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Wow, that's really unhealthy. You should never go under 1500 calories, even if mfp is telling you so. You should change your settings so you're eating 1500. I've been at 1500 for awhile and I feel like I'm not getting to eat that much as it is. I can't imagine going down to 1000. I would consult your doctor before eating that little.

830183.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter
  • angryw
    angryw Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    i'm on 1200, i feel i should be eating around 1000 but the app tells you the body goes into starvation mode. i am though starting to find it hard to eat 1200 calories, though i have had 2 3000 calories days over this weekend :(
    i wouldnt recommend the 1000 calories
  • aanner
    aanner Posts: 26
    Options
    600 calorie eater here!! yes I know it's really bad but it works for me. anyways, I found that you can basically eat ANYTHING you want, just portion controlled obviously. if you want a slice of pizza and a donut, go for it, but just don't go over your calorie intake. it's all about calories in calories out, so yeah!!! :P
  • Aimee_PD
    Aimee_PD Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    i get no less than 1300. i'd be careful
  • NoAdditives
    NoAdditives Posts: 4,251 Member
    Options
    Yeah, it's definitely not recommended to eat that little. Your body needs a certain amount of calories every day in order to function properly. If you get less than you need you run the risk of slowing your metabolism and storing fat instead of burning it. And, if you get too little for long enough you also risk permanent organ damage.

Definitely talk to a doctor if you're seriously considering this and even get a diet plan from a nutritionist.
  • Dubois2
    Options
    lots of veggies and fish type foods. like shrip and veggie stirfrys. yogert fruit and fiber ceral for breakfest. also Crystal light hunger satisfaction drinks. lots of fiber helps. and at least 2.5 hrs of exersize. but i agree 1000 cals isnt a healthy way to lose weight. its too much
  • hahahollylol
    hahahollylol Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    I've been eating around that this week.....and some days I feel like I should have eaten a little bit more. but my journal is viewable. make sure you get your MUFA's.... monounsaturated fats...they are the good ones. google them...

MUFA's are almonds, sunflower seeds, olives, and some oils.....are some examples. oh and peanut butter. just make sure you have a serving for each meal.
  • Mindful_Trent
    Mindful_Trent Posts: 3,954 Member
    Options
    600 calorie eater here!! yes I know it's really bad but it works for me. anyways, I found that you can basically eat ANYTHING you want, just portion controlled obviously. if you want a slice of pizza and a donut, go for it, but just don't go over your calorie intake. it's all about calories in calories out, so yeah!!! :P

In the big picture - it's NOT all about calories in and calories out. In the big picture of overall health, quantity and quality both matter. Not getting enough calories damages your body in ways you may not be able to see right now, or even in a year, but it is hurting your body. The same with the quality of what you're eating. I can guarantee that in the long run, someone who eats a healthy calorie level consisting of lots of veggies, lean protein, healthy fats, whole grains, legumes, raw fruit, etc. is going to be much healthier than someone who eats primarily processed/fast/junk/etc. food. Granted, a slice of pizza or a donut or a whopper every once in awhile isn't going to be bad, but it shouldn't be something you build your food diary around.

If you really want to be HEALTHY (which I think is the main goal for most people) you should be eating neither too little nor too few calories, and you should be eating high quality, healthy calories.
  • WifeMomDVM
    WifeMomDVM Posts: 1,025 Member
    Options
    I agree with the other posters about being careful. My settings tell me to get 1200 calories. Sometimes I burn off what I eat through exercise and my "net" ends up being 1000, but I try to eat something else to get close to 0. As others said, too little calories can have detrimental long term effects to your health.

Also, I have to disagree with the poster about calories in, calories out. Yes, calories are units of energy but your body needs other things like nutrients and enzymes to help it function properly. Think of your body as a well oiled machine. It will only perform as well as the quality of materials (or in this case, food) that you put into it.

Try eating alot of colorful, fiber dense foods - fresh fruits and veggies. You get along bang for your buck (i.e., alot of food for the amount of calories), plus fiber will help you feel fuller longer and help keep your blood sugar stabilized making you feel more energetic through out the day.

Also, whole grains are healthy. Feel free to view my food diary this past week for examples of what a jam packed day of 1200 calories can look like! Disclaimer: I may not be the healthiest eater on MFP, but I still try to be a generally healthy eater.

You will still lose weight if your daily caloric intake is 1200 calories, so dont' fret. If you're not losing weight with that number of calories, that just means you don't have any to lose and you should just maintain! :bigsmile:
  • Cytherea
    Cytherea Posts: 515 Member
    Options
    Who told you to eat 1000 calories a day? It certainly wasn't MFP! The minimum you should eat per day is 1200.

1200 is hard enough, but there are ways to make it last. You can eat a LOT of veggies and barely take up any calories. Use oil (like in cooking) sparingly- you can get by with a lot less than you are probably used to. Don't drink your calories- only drink water. Things like soda and juice don't fill you up as much as food does, but it does take up those cals. I've subsisted things like lettuce for bread- I make lettuce wraps instead of a sandwich or just eat the meat and cheese on their own. Make your own salad dressing, with mostly vinegar and spices and only a tiny bit of olive oil (sometimes, I don't even use any!).

You can also exercise and that will earn you more calories. Exercising anyways is a good idea, but it will also help you so that you can eat a little bit more too.

If 1200 per day is hard for you, start a bit higher. Put in only a half a pound or a pound loss per week so you can get used to eating less, and then you can go down to a pound and a half or two pounds per week. But seriously, don't eat less than 1200 calories a day. It might seem to work at first, but in the long run, your body will hang on to everything you eat and you'll actually gain weight instead of losing. It doesn't happen overnight, so plenty of people will say that eating less than 1200 calories works for them, but in the long run, it really won't, and will only hurt them.
  • punkinbeanie
    Options
    I do 1200 but i usually get a few hundred more with my exercise calories. most days i do great
  • jdelisle
    jdelisle Posts: 1,050 Member
    Options
    I lost almost 40 pounds in only 4 months (in 2009) with MFP using a 1,200 calorie diet and wow did I not feel good! Even my Dr. strongly urged me to eat more, saying that 1500 was the minimum I needed. My body crashed and I ended up gaining all that weight back and then some when I finally starting eating over 1200 calories. I'm trying again and have since adjusted my calories to 1,500, which I think is a much more realistic daily goal.
  • Allofit
    Options
    If the site recommends only 1LB a week and when I adjust to my desired 2 lbs lost per week why does the recommended caloric drop by more than 50 percent. On WW they say that is ok to lose 3 lbs a week and if I did on thissite my caloric intake would be less than 1000 calories. Lots of question but I am brand new and just learning about this site with lots of weight to lose.
  • MFike
    MFike Posts: 1
    Options
    I am also a 1000 calorie eater and have a horrible time with my weight. I am very short and weigh in at 125 lbs. I need to be at least 10 lbs lighter and 1 size smaller. Why do you ask about the calorie count?
  • sweebum
    sweebum Posts: 1,060 Member
    Options
    You'll notice the people who have lost a lot of weight on this site- and have kept it off, eat more than 1000 calories per day.

1200 or less, you'll lose weight, along with muscle. Muscle burns calories so you will need to continue to eat like a bird once the weight is off- and if you don't, it will immediately come back on.

Follow the guidelines for healthy weight loss. :smile:
  • nastasiaelise
    nastasiaelise Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I am on a 1000 calorie intake at the moment. They say for women who exercise as well that if you are trying to lose weight and diet you should consume 1200-1400 calories a day. however this all depends on height and age too. but on average thats what it is. For me because I work out lightly and sometimes moderately I have adjusted to only a 1000 calorie intake daily. I try to keep each "meal" 300 calories and snacks under 100 calories. Breakfast I eat 3 egg whites with fruit. snacks i will have a lettuce wrap or more fruit. lunch i make a salad or eat fish. dinner i do chicken and veggies or fish. They have a pretty good cook book by the guy who made Eat This Not That. but its called Cook This Not That. and everything he shows in there is 350 or less. full meals. so it is possible to not feel like your starving and still get enough protein, vitamins and fiber etc. the easiest way to stick with this is by giving yourself a cheat day on the weekend (one day) of eating however you like. I choose saturdays because it gives your body on sunday a day to kinda bounce back (i weigh myself every monday)

So yes even though alot of people are going to comment about how unsafe it is to do 1000 calories a day it all depends on how active you are. if you are way more active you can eat more. But if your only exercise is from the couch to the car then 1000 will help you. In a new article Kim Kardashian says shes on this nurtrisystem diet where meals are delivered and she consumes 1100 calories a day. but she also does intense 60 minute work outs a day too.. so i am sure shes burning off between 600-1000 calories a day with that kind of workout. (kickboxing, cardio, intense strength training) so its possible.

you have to burn 3500 more calories than your food intake for the day to burn 1 pound. on average people burn like 3300 calories a day during awake time (with low exercise activity if any) so depending on how fast you want to lose weight you adjust your calorie intake and exercise burn accordingly.

hope this helps!