Should I stop trying to lose weight?

Options
I've lost 10 lbs so far, and weigh 139 lbs. I'm also 5'6'' tall. I wasn't fat or overweight to begin with, I just wanted to be smaller. Well...10 lbs down and I can't tell a whole lot of a difference. I'm in the process of trying to lose 10 more, but it has been a lot harder than the first 10. The only problem area I have is my stomach. I am completely content with the rest of my body. Should I stop trying to lose weight and just focus on building muscle or something?
Tomorrow I'm starting the C25K and want to become a regular jogger/runner. Should I just do that and crunches and stop trying to actually lose weight?
Insight please...because last night my boyfriend and I were talking about it and he said I look absolutely fine and that it's normal for a girl to have a little bit of a pudge on my stomach. It's not meant to be completely flat because women need a little bit of lower belly fat for child bearing (which I understand as true). He makes me feel a lot better about the way I look, but almost in a bad way because he says I don't care about his opinion, and that I look beautiful the way I am and need to just be happy with myself).

Replies

• runner359
    runner359 Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    Its your opinion that matters. If you think you would feel better down another 10 pounds go for it. Does he think "caring about his opinion" means you should aim for what he thinks you should do instead of what you think you should do?

That said focusing on strength and fitness instead of the scale can feel very empowering. Nothing like being able to run and feeling strong.
  • higgins8283801
    higgins8283801 Posts: 844 Member
    Options
    Your boyfriend obviously loves you very much.

A woman can have a tight stomach. The skin is stretchy so the whole you need flabby skin there is a myth.

With that said, do you. Make you happy. If you want a toned belly, then strength train to get it. Research how to strength train at maintenance, there is a group here that could give you insight.

Good luck!
  • skruttan44
    skruttan44 Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    I've lost 10 lbs so far, and weigh 139 lbs. I'm also 5'6'' tall. I wasn't fat or overweight to begin with, I just wanted to be smaller. Well...10 lbs down and I can't tell a whole lot of a difference. I'm in the process of trying to lose 10 more, but it has been a lot harder than the first 10. The only problem area I have is my stomach. I am completely content with the rest of my body. Should I stop trying to lose weight and just focus on building muscle or something?
    Tomorrow I'm starting the C25K and want to become a regular jogger/runner. Should I just do that and crunches and stop trying to actually lose weight?
    Insight please...because last night my boyfriend and I were talking about it and he said I look absolutely fine and that it's normal for a girl to have a little bit of a pudge on my stomach. It's not meant to be completely flat because women need a little bit of lower belly fat for child bearing (which I understand as true). He makes me feel a lot better about the way I look, but almost in a bad way because he says I don't care about his opinion, and that I look beautiful the way I am and need to just be happy with myself).

Your BMI is 22.4, absolutely perfect.
    Focus on healthy life style instead is my advice :flowerforyou:
  • Galatea_Stone
    Galatea_Stone Posts: 2,037 Member
    Options
    Why don't you give strength training a try? I lost a lot of weight and got down to 120 pounds, still had a pooch and too much cellulite. I started strength training, ended up gaining back up to 137, and have now dropped back to 132. I look better now and am the exact same size as I was at 120 pounds. I still have a couple pounds to lose of fat and water weight, but I'm so very happy I picked up weights and changed the way I look. Besides, it's awesome being strong and not getting tired climbing stairs or chasing my kids.
  • dlionsmane
    dlionsmane Posts: 672 Member
    Options
    Just remember two things. 1 you cannot spot reduce and 2 jogging/running though a great exercise is mostly for burning calories so if you really don't need to lose much (if any) you should look at strength training. If you eat at maintenance and lift you will get the body you want. Just as @Galatea said I have a similar experience. I am 5'7" and I am two dress sizes smaller now at 169 than I was at 170 before I gained a bunch of weight and then took it off again. The only difference is that this time while losing I am also lifting.

Look into Starting Strength or New Rules of Lifting for Women. Don't be scared you won't get bulky. You will however get that all over lean look.
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    A normal, healthy woman will naturally have more fat than a man. Women are designed by God (or Mother Nature) to have more fat. That's hard to remember when you compare yourself to a normal, healthy man or a woman who works out a lot and lifts lots of weights.

I hate to side with the other sex, but he's right, it's normal and natural. If you WANT to have rock hard abs, that's great. Lift the weights and go for it. Don't do it because you think that's how you should look. Don't do it because you think you're fat if you have a healthy, normal amount of fat.

It's okay for women to have a little fat. Normal. Natural.

Whatever you do, do not start starving off normal, natural amounts of fat because you think you should be buff. Hogwash.

:)
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    You are at a fantastic place. Incorporate a little strength training, and you will re-comp you body. Congratulations!
  • summer92008
    Options
    What exactly do you guys mean by strength training exactly? Just lifting weights or what?
    As far as my stomach goes, I don't want abs. I don't want to be "hard". I just want it to be flat. That's all. Soft, but flat.
  • summer92008
    Options
    I uploaded a pic of what I look like just in case anyone is interested on how my tummy looks
  • 7elizamae
    7elizamae Posts: 758 Member
    Options
    You may never have a flat stomach. Some women just aren't built that way. I, for example, regardless of my weight, will always have wide hips. I just have them.

That being said, you can have a very fit and slim but not-quite-flat stomach. I suggest trying some Jillian Michaels workouts. Those build strength very quickly. They are only about 30 minutes each. Take a look at Ripped in 30 or Body Revolution. I think you'll like the results.
  • carolineat111
    carolineat111 Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    Like you I'm at a healthy weight but want to get a bit smaller (I'm high 150s, 5'10"). I've been focusing on strength training and weight lifting. I'm getting WAY stronger and my body is slowly coming closer to what I want, despite little to no movement on the scale (I don't care what the scale says if I LOOK how I want, which sounds like you're in the same boat). Anyways, I'd focus on strength and weight training (make sure you get plenty of protein). Bonus is I actually eat 1800-2000 calories and am getting slimmer and feel great, so it's way better than super low calorie dieting IMO. Good luck!
  • runner359
    runner359 Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    I uploaded a pic of what I look like just in case anyone is interested on how my tummy looks
    You look fantastic! Healthy, slim just really good.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    Hey, I had this problem and tried so many things. Different things work for different people and I was lucky enough to find one that worked for me. I lost 18 pounds in one month without much exercise and it's been a life changer. I'm a little embarrased to post my before and after photos here but if anyone actually cares to hear what I've been doing then I'd be happy to help in any way. Just shoot me an email at kaifuzis@gmail.com and I'll show you my before and after photos, and tell you about how things are going for me with the stuff I've tried. I wish someone would have helped me out when I was struggling to find a solution so if I can help you then it would make my day.
    SPAM