Against my better judgement, greetings MFP'ers!

Options
My name is Chris, I'm 42 from Kansas, working to get down to my ideal weight, and more importantly, get myself in good physical shape.

I've been a member of MFP here since some time in June, and think the MFP program is a really great tool. It has helped me to get past a point where I stopped losing weight, and am right back on track now.

I've been perusing the message boards since I joined, not sure what to make of some of you, because some of you might just be even more crazy than I am. I avoided chiming in because I was doing well on my own and didn't want to change anything, or start getting other "expert opinions" that would change the track I was on. That and how ridiculous some threads seemed to be (I actually enjoy ridiculous because I'm a total nutbag at heart, but yes, I scoff at some of you, in a friendly way of course).

I actually started the year 2014 at 316 pounds and this morning weigh in at 236 pounds. I am 6' 2" tall meaning I have 3 more pounds to lose until I am no longer obese and simply "overweight" (yay). I'm really looking forward to being overweight. Seriously.

My target weight, according to BMI anyway, is 180 pounds, and I have NEVER been anywhere near that...but then again I have always been either fat and out of shape, or less fat and in some measure of relatively decent shape (but never actually "fit"). So maybe I can hit 180, who knows? I'm going to find out though.

I have to give all credit for the start of my weight loss journey and the successes this year to my doctor, actually. He prescribed Metformin sue to elevated blood sugars, and advised not to exceed 120g of total carbs per day. For once in my life I actually did EXACTLY what the doctor told me, and not doing my own "research" and second guessing his "trained medical opinion". I figured, what the heck, going my own way based on research from many various "expert opinions" never actually worked all that well for me before, why not just do what the freaking doctor says for once?

It worked. What can I say other than, it worked for me, and I am thrilled.

Just getting the blood sugars straightened out and reducing my carb intake caused me to start shedding 11 pounds per month average, from January onwards. It was fantastic.

In April I started walking, figuring at some point I would plateau going just "diet alone". At this point I am running. OK, running for bursts and then walking, but going a distance of 4.2 miles currently in 50 minutes, and the bursts of running are now up to a half mile each. May not sound like much to some, but trust me, for this guy, that is AMAZING!

Each time I get to where I increase my time, distance, speed, resistance, whatever, I find I push a bit too hard and have a small injury setback and have to rest a few days. I did that again earlier this week but am back now and ready to run again today after two full days rest (luckily it was that minor this time, longest wait was two weeks). I am getting better at listening to my body and not pushing myself into injuries, and I am glad I stopped my run on Wednesday when my legs simply didn't "have it", and the next day felt my left quad feeling tender like it was pulled slightly.

Wow, I getting all chatty. Sorry about that.

I hope to do some distance running, like 10k's on a regular basis. Actually, what I want to do is a marathon, but my intermediate step is to start with 10k's, maybe even doing regular 6 mile runs. I'm in no rush, but considering where I have been, and when I am now, this regular 6 mile run seems perfectly reasonable and in reach.

My wife wanted to join a local gym, which I felt could also benefit me. I took a Les Mills BodyFlex class, and that is what I think overworked me earlier this week. I plan to do more classes, hoping to do BodyPump, BodyFlex, some Yoga for stretching, and of course still running. I need these extra "strength" workouts because at this point my runs are not limited by my breath or heart rate, but by my legs. They crap out and run out of strength to continue. So I need to build up some strength to go the extra distance.

OK, I'll stop yabbering now.

I don't know how much I'll contribute here, but I can be chatty.

I have a warped sense of humor, and love making people laugh. But I also have an intense focus on things, almost OCD, which is why I had not participated on the boards yet. I don't want to lose focus on simply exercising, and tracking my nutrients.

OK, let me have it. Haze away!

Replies

• bazarn
    bazarn Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    No hazing here. It's nice to meet you, congrats on the awesome weight loss!
  • ForestLove
    ForestLove Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    That was a good read! Great job on your weight loss (and for listening to your doctor too!)! Feels wonderful to get out of the obese category, doesn't it! Best of luck to you and enjoy reading all the wacky stuff posted on here. I read sometimes, but like you I just chuckle and wonder and shake my head.
  • loulamb7
    loulamb7 Posts: 801 Member
    Options
    Hello Grim,

Welcome to the board. I'm also 6' 2". I actually did weigh 180-190 from 18 to about 30 something. When I look back at those pictures I think I was to thin, definitely skinny-fat, no real muscle definition. When I started on MFPs I thought it would be nice to just get back down to 230 lbs but the weight came off so easily that I just kept on going. I'm at 198-200 now and started a weight lifting routine for beginners in January, which I slack off in March and picked back up in June. I've been eating at "maintenance" since mid-January. I'd be content to stay at this weight, +/- 5 lbs, if I could reduce my bodyfat% to 18%.

Again welcome and congrats on your success!
  • teambell1
    teambell1 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Welcome and Congratulations. I agree that there can be some outlandish people on this board, I just ignore them!

Keep up the life improving work!
  • Congratulations on your accomplishments and for taking the leap into the forums! You are smart to know when you've reached your limit as far as running goes. I found this article really helpful.
    http://www.runnersworld.com/getting-started/why-should-long-runs-be-slower?cid=socTP_20140905_31016126

Physiological adaptations. It helps to know the 'why' as well as the 'what.' I have no doubt that someday you'll run your marathon!

I
  • Katiegirl1970
    Katiegirl1970 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I liked reading your post, you kelp it real and many of us can relate.

CONGRATS on the major weight loss and on being able to run some!

***and like with any public site, there IS idiots who enjoy being rude and unhelpful-if you run across them just ignore them. They are pointless anyway.***
  • radimage
    Options
    Crazy is, as crazy does.

I'm on here every day for support and motivation. You can add me if you wish.
  • zephyre7
    zephyre7 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Great job on your progress and pleased to meet you!

Looking forward to your future posts and feel free to add me as friend if it moves you!

Cheers and keep up the good work! ????
  • lindainprogress
    lindainprogress Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    my better jugement is yelling at me to ADD THIS GUY AS A FIEND! NOW! :laugh:
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    I really don't understand why EVERYONE doesn't just go see the doctor when beginning a weight loss journey. They've heard they should, but they don't. Then they wonder, worry, do math and obsess. They try reading things and listening to fitness gurus. They want to find the best way.

Going to the doctor and doing what he says? Thats the thing they consider odd. BUT it works for them, so it's the best way for them. Everyone has to do what works for them.

Congrats on your spectacular loss. It's very impressive. Good for you!!
  • mctreestar
    Options
    I am new here as well, very nice to meet all of you!
  • 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    Options
    Gratz on the weight loss, vut tbh I havent seen all the crazy people you talk about. There are some who are worried and have the wrong ideas about certain aspects of dieting, but when you come from knowing very little or learning things for the first time then its hardly surprising. There is a very strong sense of community and experienced dieters who ive out good advice and repeat the approproate mantras of the common sense approach to dieting. Many of them are insporational becayse they have talked the talk and walked the walk.

I suppose there are some who have a difficult relationship with food, but that doesnt make them crazy.
  • sutschek111
    Options
    Awesome job!! You are doing wonderful and I can't wait for the day that I hear you ran your first marathon!!

Have a great day,

Robin
  • WhatMeRunning
    WhatMeRunning Posts: 3,538 Member
    Options
    Thanks all for the gratz and FR's everyone!

I guess I should explain what I meant by "crazy", maybe it was taken the wrong way.

I meant irreverent, fun loving, that sorta thing. Or on the opposite end of the spectrum, focused, strong-willed, uncompromising even. Mix people of varying degrees along these sorts of spectra together and things can get, well, a little crazy. and I still, as before, mean it in a "good way".

I wasn't talking about anyone's beliefs towards nutrition, health or that sorta thing. Not that we all probably haven't considered some people as "crazy" for something they may believe or do in those areas, and that is a two-way street many times with the other person thinking you are equally crazy (or worse). But that was not at all the sort of message I was trying to convey with that word.

Just to clarify,
  • kjurassic
    kjurassic Posts: 571 Member
    Options
    Hey, grimmeanor!....
    I am 5 pounds away from "overweight" and I am looking forward to getting there, too! (Although at my age (60) I am losing way slower than you.....
    Sounds like you have a knowledgeable doctor - a lot of them aren't interested in focusing on nutrition - just pill pushers. Sounds like you've got a good one - bet you will be able to get off the metformin eventually.....
    I am doing the run/walking thing, too. Ran/walked my 1st 5K July 4, 2014. I survived! Signed up for the 5K Color Run Sept 27. Have you done any of the 5K's? They're fun and a good place to start.
    I agree - some of the posters are a mess, aren't they? (Gotta take the good with the bad...lol!)
    I wish you well on your journey to fitness!
  • mockchoc
    mockchoc Posts: 6,573 Member
    Options
    You sound a lot of fun so you can add me plus I'm about to go back to try some Les Mills classes I didn't before.
  • PinkNinjaLaura
    PinkNinjaLaura Posts: 3,202 Member
    Options
    Congrats on your journey! I'm roughly 5 pounds away from a "normal" BMI. Was pretty stinking excited to move into overweight so I can't even fathom normal. Keep up the great work. I started running May 2013 (with Couch to 5K) and ran my first half marathon in June 2014. It was extremely rewarding.
  • cindytw
    cindytw Posts: 1,027 Member
    Options
    Welcome to the crazy world of online message boards! Wherever you go, you will find some things that you want to shake the person and yell WTF!!??. But for the most part things seem to me more positive than negative for me so far here. I have been on other sites and am just getting into the community here as well. Feel free to add me if you like!
  • stevenlcopeland
    stevenlcopeland Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    Congratulations on the weight loss. From Kansas here also. I'm very honest in the comments I post and I love that you made no excuses like "food addiction" or "just so depressed" I'm no expert but I have been around a few days and have found that if you can get to the weight machines and work the basics (squats, dead lifts, bench press, seated rows, and shoulder press) you will build muscles that will not only help your legs but create an inferno inside your body that will burn fat big time. Myself, I do weights and Spin Cycling. Think you are nuts, hell I write the book. Lol. I'm part of a group who on Saturdays do 1 hour Spin, 1.5 hours cardio (your choice of machine) at 80% MHR then 1 more hour of Spin Class. Can you guess which day of the week is my cheat day ? : ) I shy from high impact cardio. Never had an injury but at 53 don't want to push my luck. LOL. Good luck and no hazing here, just big time congrats.
  • bjshields
    bjshields Posts: 677 Member
    Options
    I think you and I are the same type of "crazy," meaning goofy & love to have fun! You can add me if you need another friend. Congrats on the progress so far! :drinker: