Vegetables! Help?

Options
kittykat1994
kittykat1994 Posts: 149 Member
I'm awful at eating fruit and vegetables and I would really like to work on eating more of these.

Does anyone have any recipes that are simple to make and are cheap to make?

Also if anyone has any recommendations for things to take to work that can be refrigerated/microwaved that would be awesome,
I have a fridge and microwave there.

Thanks in advance!

Replies

• kittykat1994
    kittykat1994 Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    bump :)
  • HeidiCooksSupper
    HeidiCooksSupper Posts: 3,831 Member
    Options
    First step is to buy lots of veggies at the supermarket. Seriously, the more you have in the fridge that need to be eaten, the more you'll eat.

I use google all the time to decide what to do with veggies. For example, today eggplants looked great at Trader Joe's so I bought one. I cook it so rarely I don't have a go to recipe. So, I googled "eggplant recipes" to see what showed up. I found lots of good ideas.

Most veggies can be steamed, or sauteed -- all methods that beat boiling for keeping the veggies yummy.

One of my favorite veggie tools is a mandoline. I have this one: mile.amazon.com/Kyocera-CSN-202-RD-Adjustable-Mandoline-Slicer/dp/B000HZBXOA/ref=sr_1_18?s=kitchen&ie=UTF8&qid=1409962423&sr=1-18&keywords=mandoline

It makes shredding cabbage or slicing veggies a breeze. Tonight, for example, I quickly shredded some red cabbage and some napa cabbage in a bowl, added chow-chow (a spicy pickly relish), mayonnaise & yogurt to have a yummy coleslaw.

Do you have an particular veggies you are thinking about?
  • sarajenivieve
    sarajenivieve Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    hey ! veggies are super important in fact they are the most important thing you eat! Im personally not a fan of microwaves but the merrits of that are debatable my favourite site for recipes is onegreenplanet.org great whole food clean veggie recipes !
  • sarajenivieve
    Options
    i also post a lot on my instagram sarajenivieve
  • itsbasschick
    itsbasschick Posts: 1,584 Member
    Options
    that's debatable. i'd say protein is the most important, and most veggies are low in protein, but overall it takes a variety of foods to make a good diet.
    hey ! veggies are super important in fact they are the most important thing you eat! Im personally not a fan of microwaves but the merrits of that are debatable my favourite site for recipes is onegreenplanet.org great whole food clean veggie recipes !
  • ricer8
    ricer8 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    I love to roast my veggies. Super easy put them on a baking tray, lightly drizzle some olive oil (you can use the spray kind too) and shake a few seasonings on.
  • kathyshellstrom
    Options
    I seldom use recipes. Mostly "what have I got? Let's throw it in!" One I love is zucchini pizza rounds:
    Slice a zucchini into 1/4" thick slices. Squeeze on some pizza quick, a little mozzarella & a slice of Turkey
    pepperoni. Bake at 400 for about 7 min. Even my kids inhaled them!

I also do a chicken salad with coleslaw, or coleslaw with chicken - depends
    on what you've got the most of.
    Handful of bagged slaw mix - or more
    Leftover chicken, shredded rotisserie chicken, canned - whatever
    A few shakes of dry ranch seasoning
    Grated Apple
    Whatever other veggies you've got - shredded. I've used yellow
    squash/zucchini/carrots/red cabbage/celery/bell peppers
    Jalapeno if you like it spicy, or just a dash of juice
    Just enough mayo to hold it all together.

Or -
    Throw about 1/2 cup leftover rice(I usually keep it frozen in Ziploc bags),
    1/2 cup veggies, 1/2 cup shredded cheese all in a zip n steam bag. Nuke
    1/2 power for 3 min. Put leftover/canned/rotisserie chicken on a plate.
    Squish the bag around before you open it to distribute the cheese & lay
    it on top of the chicken. By the time you get back to your desk, the
    chicken's heated. Open the bag & stir it all up!

Fish tacos:
    Tortilla
    Sprinkle on some shredded bagged slaw mix, or broccoli slaw
    Baked fish on that. (skip the breading)
    A little Chipotle mayo or chili-lime seasoning
    A little shredded cheese
    NOT great glorious globs of anything(except maybe the cabbage)
    Fold over - YUM

Get a Vitamix! -:)
  • cinds77
    Options
    I love to roast my veggies. Super easy put them on a baking tray, lightly drizzle some olive oil (you can use the spray kind too) and shake a few seasonings on.

Yes roast vegies are delish! You can do a few days worth at a time, and the sweetness roasting brings out in the veggies makes them alot more enjoyable to eat if they're not really your thing.
  • kayemme
    kayemme Posts: 1,782 Member
    Options
    check out THUG KITCHEN, if you can handle some swearing. ALL THE RECIPES ARE SO FREAKING GOOD.

I recently made the sriracha cauliflower bites with peanut freaking sauce ........... unbelievable. go. go now. :) thugkitchen.com/
  • myrtille87
    myrtille87 Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    If you're not a fan of most vegetables, there's no point trying to do loads of steamed plain veg as you won't like them and they'll go to waste. You need to make them into a dish of their own.

I love roast vegetables - I'll always use something sweet (butternut squash or sweet potato) with garlic or red onion, courgette and/or peppers and a splash of olive oil. Perhaps with the sweetness and caramelisation roasting gives they'll taste less vegetably to you. You can chuck leftover roast veg into a salad or wrap for lunch the following day too.

Also chop pretty much any veg up and add it to other dishes like curries, stir fries and pasta sauces. Your main flavour will be the sauce rather than the veg, but you're still getting all the nutritional value.

I do vegetable curry with sweet potato, canned chickpeas, frozen spinach and anything else I have around. Easy to microwave and heat up another day. I also love thai green curry with aubergine, baby sweetcorn, soya beans, red onion, red pepper, asparagus.

If you're making a bolognese/lasagne, start by frying chopped onion in olive oil, then add garlic, then one very finely chopped carrot and courgette and sauté until starting to soften and go translucent. Then add lean minced beef (you need less if you're padding your meal out with veg) and cook. Then add some finely diced mushrooms - they shrink down to nothing so add more than you think you need. Add tinned tomatoes, herbs, a good pinch of salt and a splash of red wine and simmer until reduced. It will taste of tomatoes, wine, meat and garlic, not of carrots, courgettes and mushrooms!

I also do a sausagemeat sauce for pasta (dry fry the sausagemeat and drain the fat off before adding onions and garlic, to lower the fat content) which has loads of grated carrot in it as well as tinned tomatoes.

I like this recipe and increase the carrots slightly and sometimes add other veg: http://www.deliciousmagazine.co.uk/recipes/veal-mince-ragu-with-tagliatelle
  • sarajenivieve
    Options
    that's debatable. i'd say protein is the most important, and most veggies are low in protein, but overall it takes a variety of foods to make a good diet.

sorry but thats wrong, its a very common misconception that veggies are low in protien and that you need a tone of it, but its not true that became common assumption because protien was one of the first nutrients discovered but more newer research shows that to much is actually bad for your health(like most things) and north americans in particular tend to eat to much of it. However you certainly can get enough, and more then enough if you prefer from vegatables.
  • sheepysaccount
    sheepysaccount Posts: 608 Member
    Options
    I have a microwave steamer I simply love. Steam up some potatoes and eat with herbal quark http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quark_(dairy_product)
    Or steam up carrots and have them with some butter.

There are endless possibilities on how to eat veggies. Just try all of them until you find the ones you like. :)