What should be my goal weight?

Options
Hi everyone,

I'm a 6'1'' male with a large frame. I started at 18'12'' (264lbs) in April and I am current at 14'6.4'' (202.4lbs) today.

I am curious as to what people think my goal weight should be? Initially I set myself to lose 5st (70lbs), but I am almost at that stage and still have a decent amount of weight still to go, notably my stomach and the sides of my chest area.

I attach a picture of myself from last week just for reference, though I generally have my stomach sucked in these photos. Just for reference, at my navel (let go) I am 40" around. I would post up a shirtless picture with my stomach relaxed but I have work people on my friends list so I cannot risk that getting around.

Obviously I don't want to go gaunt or anything, but my main goal is being able to walk around without having to suck my stomach in every minute of the day, so any advice on my final goal weight would be appreciated.

The picture:

7Hozitz.jpg

Thanks for your help in advance.

Replies

• _runnerbean_
    _runnerbean_ Posts: 640 Member
    Options
    I know BMI isn't the best measure if you have lots of muscle but it is a starting point for choosing a goal weight. What is your BMI at the moment? If it's in the healthy range then you are at or close to goal. At the risk of sounding creepy, you look good in your photo so you must be close to goal.
  • lewispwest
    lewispwest Posts: 498 Member
    Options
    I know BMI isn't the best measure if you have lots of muscle but it is a starting point for choosing a goal weight. What is your BMI at the moment? If it's in the healthy range then you are at or close to goal. At the risk of sounding creepy, you look good in your photo so you must be close to goal.

Not creepy at all, thank you :)

I wouldn't say I'm overly muscular (haven't been able to do very much weights training due to a back injury so mostly cardio) but here's my BMI chart at the moment:

h9UbO0g.png

I updated my goal by an additional half a stone to take it in to the healthy BMI range, hopefully that's enough...
  • janehall89
    Options
    Your not over weight
  • fredgiblet
    fredgiblet Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    Why choose a goal weight? Choose a goal appearance. My goal is pretty much the same as yours and I'm going to keep going until I get it, regardless of what my weight is.
  • 20Grit
    20Grit Posts: 752 Member
    Options
    I threw my goal weight out the window, and I hate those damn charts, about as much as I hate the scale.
    You look great by the way!
  • z_bra
    z_bra Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    40 incha waist is overweight and I'm exactly the same size... Go for 165 to 175 pounds
  • scorpiophoenix
    scorpiophoenix Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    Your not over weight

I agree. You look great to me, as well. 190 seems a bit low for your height (to me anyway) and it looks like you do have some muscle definition. If you're concerned, though, just take it a bit at a time and see how you feel along the way. :flowerforyou:
  • lewispwest
    Options
    At the risk of people at work seeing it, here is the shirtless picture with my stomach hanging out:

ztPWVkZ.jpg
  • lewispwest
    Options
    But thank you for the nice comments anyways :)
  • lewispwest
    Options
    Your not over weight

I agree. You look great to me, as well. 190 seems a bit low for your height (to me anyway) and it looks like you do have some muscle definition. If you're concerned, though, just take it a bit at a time and see how you feel along the way. :flowerforyou:

Thank you :) Yeah, taking it a bit at a time seems to be the plan, was just curious if there was a general range I should be aiming for!
  • UnicornAmanda
    UnicornAmanda Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    Just for the record, you look GREAT. Maybe just continue working out and eating well until you are toned the way that you want to be... But don't focus so much on a number, instead focus on how you look and feel. :)
  • z_bra
    z_bra Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    I'm the same the weight is all on your stomach you still have another 25 pounds to go
  • lewispwest
    Options
    Why choose a goal weight? Choose a goal appearance. My goal is pretty much the same as yours and I'm going to keep going until I get it, regardless of what my weight is.

Yeah that's the plan, was just seeing if there was a general range to go for, worried about going too far!
  • lewispwest
    Options
    I'm the same the weight is all on your stomach you still have another 25 pounds to go

Thanks, I'll take that on board :)
  • scorpiophoenix
    Options
    *pfft* You still look fine from the side. Ya know... to me... Anyway, one tip my friend gave me (cuz I HATE doing ab work) is to just keep sucking it in. It works the muscles and is easier on your back and eventually the muscles will get with the program. Whenever you notice yourself letting it "just hang out", suck it in a few times and hold.
  • lewispwest
    Options
    Just for the record, you look GREAT. Maybe just continue working out and eating well until you are toned the way that you want to be... But don't focus so much on a number, instead focus on how you look and feel. :)

Thank you, I appreciate that :)

Yeah, maybe I'm in too much of a hurry for something that takes a long time to happen but it's put me in a great frame of mind so I will take it slow and steady until I'm there :)
  • lewispwest
    Options
    *pfft* You still look fine from the side. Ya know... to me... Anyway, one tip my friend gave me (cuz I HATE doing ab work) is to just keep sucking it in. It works the muscles and is easier on your back and eventually the muscles will get with the program. Whenever you notice yourself letting it "just hang out", suck it in a few times and hold.

Thank you :)

My physiotherapist keeps trying to get my to do the pelvic floor exercises rather than straight up sucking in my stomach but I find it difficult to maintain flexing those muscles!
  • scorpiophoenix
    Options

Thank you :)

My physiotherapist keeps trying to get my to do the pelvic floor exercises rather than straight up sucking in my stomach but I find it difficult to maintain flexing those muscles!

Everything's difficult at first. :flowerforyou: Do what you can and keep at it!
  • Camo_xxx
    Camo_xxx Posts: 1,082 Member
    Options
    Rather then use the very general BMI or a weight my goal is to get to 15% body fat.
  • lewispwest
    Options
    Rather then use the very general BMI or a weight my goal is to get to 15% body fat.

I just bought some decent callipers online today so I will start using that as an accurate measurement tool for judging my progress.