How far can I safely lower my carbs and calories?

Options
I'm due some urgent surgery in the next two weeks. I have a severe compression of my L5 nerve root (rather painful) on my left side (and some on my right) so naturally my surgeon wants to operate. I was expecting this tbh.

I have very little activity now but I'm still losing slowly. I'm happy with this, I don't want to lose quickly anyway.

My carb aims at the moment are between 100 and 150 (on MFP it's 130). I'm ok doing this, I have future goals mainly sugar and saturated fats but one step at a time.

Are 100 to 120 carbs reasonable (for me) while I wait (my ability to walk is now worse), have surgery and then recover? Exercises will be physio which means some walking (and slowly walking further each day) and back exercises. Should I aim for 1250 calories (currently 1300) or can I aim lower? I don't want to be silly about it.

I've been through the surgery before and know what to expect but wasn't losing at the time. Bear in mind I'm on a moderate carb diet and it's working for me (more carbs and I gain weight, less carbs and I lose energy. Naturally if I do have a lot of exercise I tend to eat more than my current aims.

I admit I tend to force myself to eat more carbs than I like anyway because I just prefer meat, veggies, dairy, nuts and fruit more than anything, though I love porridge.

Thanks.

Replies

• lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    Without knowing anything about you or your medical history (and not being a doctor), I have no idea if those calorie or carb numbers make sense. Why not ask your doctor?

Apart from any medical condition, I don't see why 100-120 carbs would be bad if you feel good eating that. I eat around that quite often, although sometimes more, and I bike and run a lot (tend to eat more carbs and calories on longer distance days).
  • Treecat47
    Treecat47 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    It's temporary while I have and recover from surgery.

I can't really ask my doctor. We generally don't ask things like that if we're not private (I'm in the UK and they are far too busy). They have mixed views themselves and I can't afford a dietitian/nutritionist.

But a lot of people talk about this stuff here on these forums so I figured someone would know. My knowledge of carbs includes that they are needed for fuel for your brain and organs and also muscles if you exercise (it's way more complicated I know). But I'm not quite sure what is the right amount hence my question.

Thanks anyway, I'll just see if it works.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    Barring medical issues 100-120 is lower than average but not that low. Some people feel better eating more but that would be the only concern I can see. (Again, I'd defer to a doctor, but if it was an issue I suppose you'd have been given dietary advice.)

I really wouldn't cut calories too low while recovering, though. I think that is something where you should be able to ask your doctor if it's okay to continue your efforts to lose weight.
  • Treecat47
    Options
    That's one thing she and other doctors have advised me on. Lose weight, it'll help your spine (and overall health).

It'll be a very slow weight loss. Half a pound a week (which is happening). So I should be ok.

Thanks!
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    Look for the Keto group/s here. They eat very low carb.
    Remember to add oils and fats to make up for the carbs.
  • Treecat47
    Options
    I have a few problems with this keto stuff (not sure it's scientifically sound or safe, as for paleo, I love milk too much!). Though I admit I naturally prefer lower carb food anyway, I still like to get to a certain amount. However I will check out some of their recipes/food for preference sake anyway. XD

Thankyou.
  • Samstan101
    Samstan101 Posts: 699 Member
    Options
    If what you're doing is working then I wouldn't change personally. Also your need to make sure you're eating enough to fuel your recovery from surgery (hope it goes well BTW).
  • Treecat47
    Options
    Thanks!

I've had the surgery and I'm making sure I'm getting nutrients. I decided to keep the carbs where they are now.
  • FredDoyle
    FredDoyle Posts: 2,273 Member
    Options
    It sounds fine to me, especially if you're losing a half pound a week. Sounds liked you've zoned right into your daily energy requirement (minus the deficit). 130 grams of carbs won't put you anywhere near ketosis if you're worried about that.
    I speak with the full authority of an anonymous internet poster.
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    Thanks!

I've had the surgery and I'm making sure I'm getting nutrients. I decided to keep the carbs where they are now.

That is good. Keep taking care.