Intimidated.

Options
Feeling bad about my body again.

Exercising is going to be difficult, because I have so much to do for school, I don't think I will be exercising as much as I need to.

I always am tired. I'm scared of looking bad in my clothes, and I want to stop looking bad in pictures. If theres a way to loose a significant amount of weight by just eating healthy and walking around at school, I need to do that. I used to exercise so much but I had bad grades, now I need to focus but on the back of my mind I'm frustrated with myself.

Replies

• FFfitgirl
    FFfitgirl Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    You can lose weight solely on your eating. Exercise helps with strength and burning more calories, in turn being able to ea more
  • vismal
    vismal Posts: 2,463 Member
    Options
    You can exercise in as little as 3 hours a week. That's less then 2% of your total week. You can certainly make time for it. You can lose weight without exercising by simply eating less calories but there are about a million reasons you should exercise. If you have minimal time to exercise I'd do resistance training as it will ensure that most of your weight losses are fat, and not lean tissue. This will help you look better once you lose the weight. Also, if you want to do added cardio, could you not study or read while walking on a treadmill or recumbent bike?
  • eswane
    Options
    Just take it one meal at a time. In the beginning what helped me was trying to add 1 whole piece of fruit to my diet everyday and trying to drink 8 glasses of water a day, both are very cheap and easy to do. It was a small change with great benefits. Also keeping nuts around to snack on when you need some crunch. Good luck you can do it.

I still do this and it is still helping....
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    Weight loss starts in the kitchen, so yes you CAN do it without exercising, but exercising enhances it. You said you are always tired and one of the benefits of exercising will be to give you more energy.
  • ana3067
    ana3067 Posts: 5,623 Member
    Options
    It's all about a caloric deficit, not about exercise or what you eat. So it's about how much you're moving around coupled with how much you eat. If you just move around on campus walking from class to class, and a bit of moving around in your spare time (cooking, laundry, etc) then that is all going to be counted towards how much energy your body burns on average. So let's say that with this lifestyle, you burn about 2100 calories. So to start losing weight, you can just lower that to about 1700, monitor for a few weeks, and lower a bit if you're not losing about a lb. If you lose a lb each week, keep at 1700, and if you gain, lower to 1650. Adjust as needed until you are stable in weight loss, and then either keep lowering as your energy needs lessen (due to you being lighter) and on slower weight loss. Or you can leave it be and just allow your body to lose more slowly.

Estimate your TDEE from a few websites. My faves are on my profile.

But one thing, if you DO want to work out for health and fitness reasons (as it's not a means to an end for fat loss), then my tip is to schedule yourself. So don't just say "I'll work out monday, wed, friday" but actually write it down on a schedule. I have a generic 7-day schedule that I printed off, it's a table basically from 6am to 10pm. I have my class schedule in there, and then I wrote down my study blocks and my gym blocks. I do need to redo it as I've decided to swap around my gym and study sessions, but it has so far helped me stay on track better with my school stuff. I had already solidified my workout schedule in my head, so writing it down is more just to tell myself when to go as I'm on a different time table now. But I do not use exercise to lose weight, it just helps raise your energy levels so you can eat more. It also improves fitness and body composition.
  • WhatAnAss
    WhatAnAss Posts: 1,598 Member
    Options
    Even if you only can spare 10 or 15 minutes a day do exercise it would be better than nothing. When you start noticing a difference it will help motivate you to do more. You have to start somewhere.
  • Joannah700
    Joannah700 Posts: 2,665 Member
    Options
    You don't have to do it all in one day. Start by making small changes, park far away and walk the extra 200 yards to class, take the stairs instead of the elevator. Each day you do this you KNOW you're doing something for yourself.

Then step it up gradually, stop buying snack foods when you grocery shop and then walk to the grocery store whenever you want a snack.

Maybe begin to incorporate a small workout video every now and again.

Its the small changes that make it a lifestyle change and not a passing passion.
  • libbydoodle11
    libbydoodle11 Posts: 1,351 Member
    Options
    You have to start somewhere. It is important to carve out some time for yourself. School work can still be your priority. Invest in a resistance band or two. Google exercises you can do with it and start with 5 or 10 minutes each morning. You can still be in your jammies and slippers! Keep it simple and the intimidation factor is lessened. Success is yours. Chin up.
  • sloth3toes
    sloth3toes Posts: 2,212 Member
    Options
    You can't out-train a bad diet.
  • meghanbuddy27
    Options
    Drink a lot of water! Water will help flush the toxins from your body. Also, if you have a busy day, and don't really have time to work out, maybe try doing a plank and a few push-ups when you first wake up. That's what I do when I don't have ballet, and I don't have time to go to the gym.
  • SrMaggalicious
    SrMaggalicious Posts: 495 Member
    Options
    Even if you only can spare 10 or 15 minutes a day do exercise it would be better than nothing. When you start noticing a difference it will help motivate you to do more. You have to start somewhere.

^^^ This!! go buy a 5 dollar jump rope...You can get a great workout in as little as 15-20 mins...even 3 or 4 days a week is enough for now, as long as you also weigh and count cals of your foods you eat.