Just got smacked across the face!!!!

Options
2»

Replies

• Isakizza
    Isakizza Posts: 754 Member
    Options
    Mostly use the scale for things that are hard to measure. Especially the high calorie things.

Peanut butter.
    Salad dressing.
    ice-cream
    Anything from a jar or bottle.

Just put the jar on there and subtract the amount of one serving (or how many I'm having). Then keep taking little bits out until it hits the right number.

I was actually using LESS peanut butter before using the scale, because I didn't want to go over.

Didn't even think of putting the jar on the scale and spooning out what I need!!!! Thanks!
  • Galatea_Stone
    Galatea_Stone Posts: 2,037 Member
    Options
    Right around 80% of people underestimate how much they eat. I completely underestimated how much I ate until I started using a food scale. The 8 ounce chicken breast suddenly turned into 13, the 1/2 cup ice cream was actually 2 servings in gram weight, and OMG did I overeat cereal.

So yes, I got smacked as well.
  • amysmeyer
    amysmeyer Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Absolutely LOVE my scale and spoons/cups etc.! It had been a huge eye opener in the beginning - Now, it's second nature and often I stop before I get to the "serving" size because it looks like enough; I don't need the full serving of some foods. I have a little more to go, but the other thing that has helped me was having step-goals. Instead of aiming for fifty pounds and many inches to go; I've made interim goals. Just six pounds to my next level and four dress sizes gone!
  • amysmeyer
    amysmeyer Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Absolutely LOVE my scale and spoons/cups etc.! It had been a huge eye opener in the beginning - Now, it's second nature and often I stop before I get to the "serving" size because it looks like enough; I don't need the full serving of some foods. I have a little more to go, but the other thing that has helped me was having step-goals. Instead of aiming for fifty pounds and many inches to go; I've made interim goals. Just six pounds to my next level and four dress sizes gone!
  • SunofaBeach14
    SunofaBeach14 Posts: 4,899 Member
    Options
    Oh, most definitely. Congratulations on coming to terms with one of the most important learning moments you can have when it comes to weight loss.
  • tinwaleet
    tinwaleet Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Oh yes same experience when I started with the balance was so shocked by what is really 2 oz of spaguetti (dry), was such a reality check :O))) Glad you did your post may help others too.
  • Isakizza
    Options
    Right around 80% of people underestimate how much they eat. I completely underestimated how much I ate until I started using a food scale. The 8 ounce chicken breast suddenly turned into 13, the 1/2 cup ice cream was actually 2 servings in gram weight, and OMG did I overeat cereal.

So yes, I got smacked as well.

lol... my "4 oz" serving of chicken breast was actually about 7!
  • Isakizza
    Options
    So just finished weighing my last meal of the day.... I WAS overeating!!!!
    I'm starrrvin' right about now, lol.
  • SunofaBeach14
    SunofaBeach14 Posts: 4,899 Member
    Options

Here's where the benefit comes in. You'll actually know how much/little you're eating and can accurately adjust your calories north a bit if you need to. If you were seriously doubling your portions before and were "plateaued" or maintaining, then you may be able to start losing by simply dropping 500 calories from where you (really) were before. I'm not sure I'm clear here though.
  • Isakizza
    Options

Here's where the benefit comes in. You'll actually know how much/little you're eating and can accurately adjust your calories north a bit if you need to. If you were seriously doubling your portions before and were "plateaued" or maintaining, then you may be able to start losing by simply dropping 500 calories from where you (really) were before. I'm not sure I'm clear here though.

Okay I get that. I'm gonna do a little math and see just how much I might have been eating before to get an idea of what my intake actually was pre-weighing.

I have been maintaining all year.