Whole30

Options
2»

Replies

• lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    How is eating whole real (by real I mean non-processed) foods a fad?

As my post above demonstrates, I'm not anti Whole30 at all, but I think it's inaccurate and kind of weird to claim that the essence is eating "real" foods. The essence is cutting out: (a) all grains; (b) all dairy; (c) all legumes; (d) potatoes; (e) sugar; (f) alcohol; and (g) probably lots of stuff I've forgotten. It's in part an elimination diet to see if you have sensitivity to certain kinds of foods.

And I think the idea that some steel grain oats or even milk fresh from the cow or a nice bowl of lentils (all prohibited on the plan) is somehow less processed than a Quest bar is kind of odd.
  • Triplestep
    Triplestep Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    I googled "how to spot a fad diet" and found this.

Maybe spend more time Googling the topic at hand? See responses below showing how Whole30 stacks up against your list of what Fad dies tend to have:

Recommendations that promise a quick fix
    - No
    Claims that sound too good to be true
    - No
    Simplistic conclusions drawn from a complex study
    - No
    Recommendations based on a single study
    - No
    Dramatic statements that are refuted by reputable scientific organizations
    - No
    Lists of "good" and "bad" foods
    - Yes, but only for 30 days
    Recommendations made to help sell a product
    - No; the entire plan is free on the website
    Recommendations based on studies published without peer review
    - Sorry, can't say for sure
    Recommendations from studies that ignore differences among individuals or groups
    - No
    Eliminated one or more of the five food groups
    -Yes, for 30 days
    Eating unprocessed foods is fantastic. Eliminating entire food groups is not. If people want to eat healthy, I applaud them. This Whole30 thing isn't healthy, though.

It's for 30 days, and then you add foods back in methodically. No one is saying that everyone should eat this way for the rest of their lives. Eliminating and adding back foods is what allergists do to identify food sensitivities, which is akin to what the program helps people do. It is not a weight-loss program.
  • vickikwhisler
    vickikwhisler Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Well, I came to this board to connect with other W30 people, but I almost changed my mind when I saw all the negative comments from people who have never tried a W30, who have not read "It Starts with Food", who have not read the scientific explanations behind W30, who don't understand that Whole30 is way more than a diet, who find it necessary to tear apart something that works for many people. It may not work for you. That's okay. I won't tear your choices apart.

There are people who make non-compliant choices during their W30. That is their choice. I chose to stay compliant. There are some people who go right back to their old way of eating after their W30. That, too, is their choice. I chose not to return to my unhealthy relationship with food.

It is way too early for me to say that this has changed my life. I have a history of failure when it comes to trying to eat more healthy. The thing I love about Whole30 is that it is the only thing I've tried so far that addresses the psychological relationship I have with foods. I've learned my triggers, I've learned how different foods/ingredients react together when I put them in my body. I know that even though I've completed my W30, lost weight and inches, have seen improvement in energy, focus, and sleep, and found a lot of cool new foods/recipes that I like, I am NOT "cured." My relationship with food needs much more than 30 days to be healed.

I did a LOT of research into Whole30 before I started. I am totally against fad diets and anything that is not sustainable. I am very introspective about what works and doesn't work for me. This works...FOR ME. Nobody here is forcing you to try Whole30. If you do choose to try it and want someone in your corner to cheer you on, let me know. If you don't choose to try it, that's fine. I hope you have found something that works for you and that you won't feel the need to bash something that is a healthy lifestyle and works for many people.

You won't find my diary on MFP. One of the 'rules' of Whole30 is that you don't track...You listen to your body and get in tune with listening to its needs. If you would like to learn more about my first Whole30 journey, you can check out my blog at http://takingvickislifeback.blogspot.com.

We are members of this site to regain our health in a supportive community. I wish you all the best success in your journey.

vicki
  • iheidibefitt
    iheidibefitt Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    I am using Whole30 as a guide, but not doing it. I think if you're cutting out all those foods for pure weight loss...for one, you're not using Whole30 for its intended purpose. Two, if you plan to only do it for 30 days, for weight loss and then plan to add foods back in..be prepared to possibly add back on weight. I can't imagine adding back a little bit of dairy, grains or pasta after 30 days of not eating it. I think instead of doing Whole30 you should just use their grocery list as a guide, read labels, eat things in moderation and exercise. Doing something so drastic obviously can't be long term (since it is a 30 day program)...if you're using it for weight, use it as a guide instead. Print out their grocery list and take it grocery shopping with you...get anything not processed and that is healthy for you. Don't avoid any group on the food pyramid.

I lost 5 lbs last week eating probably 90% clean, drinking the recommended ounces of water a day and exercising. You don't have to be THAT strict or extreme. Do something that you'll be able to do long term. If you aren't able to cut unhealthy things out without Whole30, please don't try it. It's more drastic than trying to just eat healthy and in moderation.