How to count a made-up recipe?

Options
Any ideas on how to count a recipe I made up? I know it was healthy, but I have no way of measuring actual calories. Thanks!

Replies

• heyitsmekatie
    heyitsmekatie Posts: 544 Member
    Options
    MFP actually has a tool for this.... go to Food - Recipes and enter the raw ingredients plus number of servings and it'll give you the nutritional info!
  • rcmaross
    rcmaross Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    you can go to FOOD My Recipes and enter it by hand and give it a name and appropriate serving size. Then every time you eat it you can select it by adding the recipe under add Food -> My Recipes or something like that.
  • cathyprice
    Options
    unfortunately, I think the most accurate way is by ingredient...that's what I do
  • Kendra7107
    Options
    I break apart all the ingredients and then total them up and divide by the number of servings. For instance when I make soup or Chili, I read the labels on the cans of beans and calculate the number of calories per can of beans. Then make an educated guess about meat after weighing, etc. Sometimes my soup will add up to 1700 or 1800 hundred calories and if I divide it out into 10 bowls, I simple divide 1800 by 10, etc.

Hope this helps. I am sure that some servings have a few more calories than others but it should all equal out in the end.
  • anothersmithm
    Options
    The recipe tool is fantastic! Very easy to use. Also helpful so you can remember what ingredients you used if it turns out well. I even used it for things like sloppy joe's - added 8 buns, a pound of meat, the Manwich, and the green peppers I used. I also include any spices I use, because I'm watching my sodium intake.
  • couts2006
    Options
    I just add everything I put in the recipe on my food list and then approximate how much was in what I put on my plate, it makes your food list look long but that was the only way I would think on doing it so you can keep track of calories. I've done it and it seems to work out fine. Hope this helped!
  • Shamrock40
    Options
    Recipe tool. I've used it for meatballs, tossed salad, chili, pot roast, soup, fajitas ... the possibilities are endless. All you have to do is list your ingredients and how many servings you'd like to get out of it, or how big a serving size is on your main protein. It can vary.