Any experience maintaining a BMI of 20

Options
Started 5'6 141, currently 132, aiming for 125. This is small and probably a size 0/2 on me. I've heard that some women stop their period below a BMI of 20. Much as I hate my period, I figure this probably isn't healthy. I would be OK at 130 if 125 wasn't feasible. I have a medium build and currently aroung 21% body fat. Any thoughts?

Replies

• Loralrose
    Options
    Maybe body composition would be a better goal than a certain weight? 21% is a healthy level for women, but you can definitely get down to 18% with no health problems. Lower than that may or may not be healthy/sustainable... seems to depend on the individual.
  • singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    Options
    I am just below BMI 20 for a few years and my period still happens
  • peleroja
    peleroja Posts: 3,979 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'4" and about 118 pounds and so my BMI is right around 20 as well. My body fat is usually around 18-19%. I was down to 114 last summer and my period did stop, so after 2-3 months of that I realised what was probably going on and I put on a couple pounds, which was enough to have everything start working again.

It's going to vary for everyone, but loss of your period is not a good thing and it's something you need to monitor and see your doctor about. Lots of female athletes do lose their periods, but because it can cause health problems down the road, your doctor needs to stay on top of it with you if you plan to drop your body fat that low.
  • gimpygramma
    gimpygramma Posts: 383 Member
    Options
    I had a BMI of 19 throughout my child bearing years. Always had regular periods and healthy pregnancies.
  • intrepidelephant
    intrepidelephant Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'4" and about 118 pounds and so my BMI is right around 20 as well. My body fat is usually around 18-19%. I was down to 114 last summer and my period did stop, so after 2-3 months of that I realised what was probably going on and I put on a couple pounds, which was enough to have everything start working again.

It's going to vary for everyone, but loss of your period is not a good thing and it's something you need to monitor and see your doctor about. Lots of female athletes do lose their periods, but because it can cause health problems down the road, your doctor needs to stay on top of it with you if you plan to drop your body fat that low.

I've been through periods when I've done intense physical activity and lost my period (eg. hiked 300 miles across Iceland in a month, worked 80 hours a week at a manual labour job). I also did lose my period when I starved myself down to 120 when I was 16, but I'm eating 2000+ calories a day right now.
  • mangogirl272727
    mangogirl272727 Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    A loss of your period for any sustained period of time will in all probability lead to serious problems like osteoporosis, but people seem to lose it at different points just depending on their body. I still get mine at bmi of a little under 20, but you could be different. If you do end up losing it you can always put a few more pounds on and it should start up again.
  • One2Run
    One2Run Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    BMI of 18 here, no issues maintaining. I have been fluctuating between 110 and 113. 5'5". No issues health-wise.
  • astartig
    astartig Posts: 549 Member
    Options
    lowest normal bmi is 18.5... you're not going to experience medical problems associated with low weight if you are in the normal range.
  • VelveteenArabian
    VelveteenArabian Posts: 758 Member
    Options
    Started 5'6 141, currently 132, aiming for 125. This is small and probably a size 0/2 on me. I've heard that some women stop their period below a BMI of 20. Much as I hate my period, I figure this probably isn't healthy. I would be OK at 130 if 125 wasn't feasible. I have a medium build and currently aroung 21% body fat. Any thoughts?

Just chiming in, but if you don't like your period, opt out. Seasonique lets you have a period 4 times a year, and Amethyst lets you skip it completely. I haven't had a period or PMS for about 10 years.
  • addiec1
    addiec1 Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'8, 125 pounds BMI of 19 and have no period problems.
  • michaeljacksonfan333
    Options
    That is weird that someone's period would stop when under a BMI of 20...I had well below a BMI of 20 for many years and always got my period. I'm 5'6 and my weight is 134. My body fat is 25% though :(
  • 21million
    21million Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    I had a bmi of 17.4 for a few years and had regular periods. I have since gotten to 18.5 and no problems. I think period loss is from an extreme lack of nutrition.
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Options
    BMI of 20 for over three years with no problems, here! That's well within the healthy range. I don't see why there would be any problems.
  • whateverfloats
    Options
    You have to be pretty damn slim to lose your period. I've been down to BMI 17 with a period no problem.
  • BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member
    Options
    I always have a Bmi between 18 and 18.5, and I am incredibly fertile. I stopped getting my period for 6 months when I was 16, and had a bmi around 15.5 or 16 or so (which was very unhealthy). It depends on your body composition and frame size.
  • stephe1987
    stephe1987 Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    I think it's a combination of body fat percentage and frame size. Too low of a body fat percentage can be unhealthy (especially if it's maintained for a long period of time). And persons with a medium or large frame are going to want to aim for a higher BMI compared to someone with a small frame.
  • GatorDeb1
    GatorDeb1 Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    Mine's 20.4 right now. I would say 20-22 would be a piece of cake but 20 and below requires to be on point with diet and exercise. But it's easily done.

I've been as low as 19.2 (want to get there gain, working on it) and I kept getting the monthly visitor.

When I had a BMI of 39.5 I DIDN'T, I started getting it regularly again (it was very sporadically, once every few months) when I lost weight.
  • einzweidrei
    einzweidrei Posts: 381 Member
    Options
    My BMI is between 18.3-18.8 and I have yet to lose my period.

Sometimes people lose their period going below 20 but they might also have a very low BF%, which also plays a role.
  • Springfield1970
    Springfield1970 Posts: 1,945 Member
    Options
    19.9 20, very hormonally healthy

Lower than this, still in the low 19s, I had irregularities, but it could have been a few things.
  • swimmermama
    swimmermama Posts: 526 Member
    Options
    My BMI is between 18.5 and 19.5 and I don't have my period. I do lift heavy and have low body fat.

I have been two three doctors, had tons of blood work, and no one could explain WHY I've lost it. So, I don't know if it's because of my BMI or just premature menopause due to genetics of BAD EFFING LUCK.

Overall, I think some women, due to genes and body fat percentage, can have their period with lower BMIs than other women.