HRM/Activity Trackers Compatible with MFP

Options
I'm wanting to track my activity more accurately but I'm overwhelmed by the various options. I want something that can track my steps and activity and monitor my heart rate while working out.

I liked the look of the polar loop with the heart rate sensor but I've read that they don't sync with myfitnesspal.

In terms of my activity, I swim, use the elliptical and do some strength training plus incidental walking etc. Can anyone recommend something that might be suitable and easy to sync with myfitnesspal?

Replies

• SnuggleSmacks
    SnuggleSmacks Posts: 3,732 Member
    Options
    An activity tracker and a heart rate monitor are two separate things. There are a very few trackers which allow you to sync a heart rate monitor strap while working out. Garmin Vivofit is the main one that comes to mind. You can purchase it in a set with the correct chest strap for about $180. If you're a member of any warehouses like Costco or BJ's, they sometimes have them cheaper, and you can watch Amazon for a sale. Keep in mind that the Vivofit syncs with phones through ANT technology, so it won't work with all phones. If that's important to you, then definitely check into that and make sure that it works with your phone.

Another option, though, is to just get separate tracker and HRM so that you can get the features you want. I have a Bodymedia tracker because it's the most accurate and it works on regular Bluetooth, so it works with almost any smartphone, and I have a Zephyr HRM chest strap which also syncs to my phone through regular Bluetooth. The Zephyr can sync with a bunch of different apps, like Endomondo or iCardio or Runkeeper, and those apps can sync with MFP or with my Bodymedia's app, so essentially it gets the same end result as having purchased them as a set that only works together.

Fitbit is the most popular tracker here, and you can usually find good deals on it. It doesn't sync with a HRM, but just like the Bodymedia you can get one separately and sync the apps.

ETA: Swimming presents a whole different challenge. Waterproof trackers and HRMs do exist, but they're expensive and you'll need to do your research to make sure they're worth it.
  • johnson_jonno
    Options
    The FR15 from Garmin may be what you are after. http://www.dcrainmaker.com/2014/06/garmin-forerunner-15-depth-review.html
  • Megais
    Megais Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Just in because I am curious myself :)
  • srmchan
    srmchan Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    An activity tracker and a heart rate monitor are two separate things. There are a very few trackers which allow you to sync a heart rate monitor strap while working out. Garmin Vivofit is the main one that comes to mind. You can purchase it in a set with the correct chest strap for about $180. If you're a member of any warehouses like Costco or BJ's, they sometimes have them cheaper, and you can watch Amazon for a sale. Keep in mind that the Vivofit syncs with phones through ANT technology, so it won't work with all phones. If that's important to you, then definitely check into that and make sure that it works with your phone.

One minor correction, the Vivofit can sync via ANT or Bluetooth. I sync mine with my iPhone 5s via Bluetooth without needing to attach any adapters. The Vivofit also includes a USB-ANT adapter for syncing through a Mac or Windows computer. As far as I can tell, the Vivofit uses ANT for HRM integration but is not compatible with Bluetooth-based HRMs. I bought a Wahoo TICKR HRM which transmits via ANT and Bluetooth simultaneously, ergo I can pair it with my Vivofit and an app (like Digifit or MapMyFitness) on my smartphone at the same time. I do this because I'm using the real-time heart rate graphs in Digifit for cardio, but only using my Vivofit to capture my daily calorie burn. I do not sync Digifit with MFP, otherwise the calories would be double counted by MFP.

Garmin's MFP sync'ing feature is a little buggy. Other than that, I'm happy with my Vivofit. My favorite features are being able to see where I am in my daily steps goal, my daily calorie burn, and being able to look at my heart rate and heart rate zone at a glance when lifting so I don't have to dig my phone out of my pocket and go thru the process of unlocking it.

Sam
  • firebloom
    firebloom Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the info guys.

If I was going to buy an activity tracker and a HRM separately, which would you say is the most useful? I'm thinking maybe the heart rate monitor because my work outs are the activity that I track. I don't really mind if my incidental activity is more of a weight loss bonus that I'm not accounting for but maybe once I'm on maintenance it will be more important. What do you think?
  • srmchan
    srmchan Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    I'm a big of a gadget nut and have tried a lot of options. I have a decent complement of sensors on my bike; I've tried the Jawbone UP and Garmin vivofit; I have several different HRM straps (including the Polar that integrates with the cardio machines at my gym); and I've tried a number of applications like Digifit, MayMyFitness, and Polar Beat.

If you have a reasonably recent smartphone (one that supports the newest Bluetooth standards), I think a HRM and an app would work nicely. In the app world, I prefer Digifit because it has customizable cardio routines for the gym. However, when I'm outside, I like the MapMyFitness series of apps a little better because I can put together new cycling routes on the web and download them to my phone.

That said, I got really tired of looking at my phone while lifting, so I added the Garmin vivofit to my cadre of devices. It has the added benefit of giving real time feedback on steps-taken. The Jawbone UP or FitBit require you to sync (as far as I know) to see where you are step-wise. (I like the Jawbone UP's smart vibrating alarm, though. The vivofit doesn't have an alarm.) Note the vivofit doesn't sync steps to MFP - but it does sync activities.

At the end of the day, it depends on your personal requirements. My goals are weight loss, strength and general fitness and I'm doing it through a combination of better nutrition (and a calorie deficit for now), HIIT cardio on the treadmill, lifting heavy, walking and cycling.

Sam
  • ProvenceBelle
    ProvenceBelle Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I saw cycling at the end of your post. I have a vivo fit. I feel disappointed when it subtracts my calories from cycling when I sync to MFP. Any suggestions?
  • SameMe_JustLess
    SameMe_JustLess Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    I have a Garmin FR220 and love it. When I am the gym, I just turn the GPS off. I also wear the Jawbone Up24 24/7. I like that I can set alarms, it shows me sleep, and reminds me to keep moving. They also did an upgrade that the battery lasts two weeks.

I used to have a FitBit Force, but they discontinued it. Between the FitBit and the Jawbone I don't see much difference, but I prefer the Jawbone's app better.
  • SameMe_JustLess
    SameMe_JustLess Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    I saw cycling at the end of your post. I have a vivo fit. I feel disappointed when it subtracts my calories from cycling when I sync to MFP. Any suggestions?

If I understand your question, you can go into MFP's settings and have your tracker not do a negative adjustment. I did that with my Jawbone. I usually hit my goal, but I still need to eat on the days I didn't.
  • MrsJane05
    MrsJane05 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    You mentioned that you like to swim too, so be sure to get a 'waterproof' hrm. I have tried both Polar and Garmin (x2), finding Garmin way ahead in quality and accuracy. I use a Garmin F15, it is an activity tracker (steps), it has GPS for my runs, it has HRM for calories burned plus I bought a 'footpod' to track distance indoors on the treadmill. All info is synced via usb to my pc where all the info is collated (activities, sleep, calories in/out, steps, challenges, plus personal records and more) on GARMIN CONNECT and it also syncs with MFP. I just love it, I wear it as a waterproof watch, then add the strap or footpod when working out.