question from a rookie runner.

Options
I have been running since November really the first time in my life i have ever done anything like this, This week i have gone from 2miles to 2.5 miles. i am wondering if it okay to run every day or is it better to rest inbetween days. Just wondering if i am doing more harm than good. Trying to run every day because i never know when my schedule might change and i'll miss a day....

Replies

• wtbyerdocmd
    Options
    I would not run 7 days a week but its okay to run 2-3 consecutive days. I would mix it up and do longer moderate run one day and then do sprints or hill runs one day then take a day off. You also should not increase more than 10% per week. Listen to your body and remember that you do need to rest to recover and get stronger.

good luck
  • meagalayne
    meagalayne Posts: 3,382 Member
    Options
    Most novice training plans call for running no more than 3-4 days a week. If you are interested in training to increase your distance and speed, check out the Hal Higdon or Jeff Galloway programs available for free online (Google!). If possible, incorporate other cross-training and strength workouts into your exercise routine. Variety is the spice of life!