So how many rock climbers on here?

Options
Hi,

This is just me being nosey as a few here have mentioned they climb, but I was wondering how many rock climbers hang out here. This can be anything from indoor walls/climbing gym to bouldering right up to alpine. I see it as the ultimate all round exercise which seems to be a perfect mix of strength and cardio.

So any more climbers out there and what sort do you do?

Personally I'm based in Yorkshire so its mainly UK Trad on Grit with a bit of sport on the rare bits of Yorkshire Limestone we have. Never done big wall stuff or alpine and after reading "The White Spider" I have no desire to.

What about the rest of you?

Replies

• dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,950 Member
    Options
    Your mom.
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,950 Member
    Options
    I kid. There's a few climbers here, and a mostly hibernating group.
  • xcalygrl
    xcalygrl Posts: 1,897 Member
    Options
    I'm not an avid rock climber, but I like to go to a nearby indoor rock gym a few times a year.
  • davert123
    davert123 Posts: 1,568 Member
    Options
    I am an ex rock climber if that counts. I packed it in when I had kids. I used to use ropes but got a buzz out of scrabbles more. Planning on doing some simple stuff again in the near future.For me it was mainly multi pitch routes in Wales or Scotland. I live in Staffordshire now and went for a walk over the roaches 2 weeks ago, made me want to get the ropes out of the shed for sure
  • amberlykay1014
    amberlykay1014 Posts: 608 Member
    Options
    Hi. I climb and my husband and I own a gear shop in PA. Lots of my friends on here are climbers too.
  • dazwan
    dazwan Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    I am an ex rock climber if that counts. I packed it in when I had kids.
    It's the best time to start! Perfect excuse to getaway from the family :laugh:
    went for a walk over the roaches 2 weeks ago, made me want to get the ropes out of the shed for sure
    The only time I've been to the roaches was a walking trip, it was painful to go past it on such a lovely glorious day and see all the climbers.
  • dazwan
    dazwan Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't call myself a climber as I don't get to do it very often, but it's my favourite kind of exercise ever! It's so much fun and works your whole body out and builds your strength, agility, coordination and flexibility all together. I would love to join the local climbing gym, but it's sooo expensive where I am!
    I often forget about the whole agility and coordination, almost like ballet on rock. Watching a climber gracefully scale a wall is preferable to watching some sweaty bloke grunt a few weights in a gym.

As for cost, join a club and get outdoors, its free to climb outdoors, at least until the other members start badgering you to get your own gear.
  • KatM2014
    KatM2014 Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    Me! I do a good bit of bouldering and climbing indoors at my local centre and I also do a good bit of outdoor climbing, I live in Scotland so we have plenty of awesome things to climb!!
  • 1203j
    Options
    I climb indoors a couple of times a week. I'm also in Staffs and I love watching people climbing on the Roaches. I'm pretty new to climbing so I haven't tried anything outdoors yet.
  • KatrineJensen
    KatrineJensen Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    I climb two or three times a week for a couple of hours at my local rock climbing gym, mostly bouldering and top roping. I'd love to go climbing outside when I get the chance, but I'd have to take a long trip to do so, because I live in the flattest country ever basically.