Workout Partner

Options
If you have worked out alone, then started working out with a partner did it make a big difference ?

Replies

• ana3067
    ana3067 Posts: 5,623 Member
    Options
    Working out with others makes me less focused and makes me work out less. If I could just shove everyone in the gym into a corner, I'd be good lol.
  • 365andstillalive
    365andstillalive Posts: 663 Member
    Options
    It depends on what you're doing and why you want a partner.

I like going to fitness classes, and the majority of times I go, I bring a friend, because doing something like Zumba is more fun when you have someone to laugh with while trying to get the moves down.

Partners can also help with accountability, if that's an issue for you. You're probably less likely to bail on the gym if you're supposed to be meeting someone there.

But my normal workout? I'd rather fly solo. That's my time.
  • AllOutof_Bubblegum
    AllOutof_Bubblegum Posts: 3,646 Member
    Options
    It made a HUGE difference!

I was pestered with questions, had to constantly motivate and drag along my partner, corrected her bad form, got distracted too much and all around got very little done.
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    if you're both on th same page about workouts and intensity and commitment then it can be very good. if you aren't then not so much
  • Tallawah_
    Tallawah_ Posts: 2,471 Member
    Options
    It made a HUGE difference!

I was pestered with questions, had to constantly motivate and drag along my partner, corrected her bad form, got distracted too much and all around got very little done.

LOL!!! I expect a lot of us would have trouble keeping up with you!!!

Which just highlights the main point. It will make a BIG difference as long as you go with someone at around your level. If your partner is at a significantly higher level it will demotivate them, even if they are too polite to say it.
  • lacroyx
    lacroyx Posts: 5,754 Member
    Options
    I guess I am in the minority. Last year a friend of mine joined me for a few months when I'd go lifting at the gym. It was fun to have someone there working out with you than being all alone. Yes, workouts took longer than normal but I just planned accordingly. He started making excuses and stopped altogether. I was sad for a little while but :ohwell:
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    my strongest and most consistent gains have come when i've had workout partners so yes, it made a BIG difference.
  • mockchoc
    mockchoc Posts: 6,573 Member
    Options
    Mostly I think it is better to work out alone but it's nice to have someone sometimes.

I guess it would be great if you have someone on the same page as DavPaul mentioned but it's not always like that.
  • abadvat
    abadvat Posts: 1,241 Member
    Options
    if you're both on th same page about workouts and intensity and commitment then it can be very good. if you aren't then not so much

Agreed - had a couple of people tagging along - never wokred out because we were not on the same page!
  • KrazyKenny1967
    Options
    I've just started going back to the gym after taking a year off (I moved to a rural area with no gym close by). This time I want to have more productive workouts. Being an introverted person working out alone fits me . A few sessions with a personal trainer are in order ,I think.
  • DjinnMarie
    DjinnMarie Posts: 1,297 Member
    Options
    You don't have to be on the same level to enjoy a workout partner. As long as they aren't a complete beginner, then I don't mind and even enjoy a gym buddy.

If somebody I know wants me to "show them around the gym", then I know it's going to be a wash that day for me. I'll spend most of the time explaining and correcting form. But I don't mind it. I have made many long term gym partners this way. I can sacrifice a day for my friends.

But I also have a home gym, so I just hit that when I get home.
  • margannmks
    margannmks Posts: 424 Member
    Options
    I think if i had a partner it would help with my rest between sets, i tend to get antsy. My daughter works out with me once a week and i like it wish we could do it more often. I would want someone a little more advanced than myself so i would push my self, and im very competitive.
  • bugaboo_sue
    bugaboo_sue Posts: 552 Member
    Options
    Yes.

When I worked for a company I used the fitness center there and I worked out by myself. Why I liked it -- I didn't have to wait for someone, I could do my own thing etc. etc. -- since I quit and started working out with my husband I like it much more. I have a spotter, I have someone to push me to lift more, get one more rep etc. etc. And it's not that bad. My rest is when he's doing his set and vice versa.

I actually like it.
  • Julieboolieaz
    Julieboolieaz Posts: 643 Member
    Options
    I like a buddy for classes and cardio, but when I lift I prefer to do it alone. I don't have a LOT of time to get to the gym, so I need to make the most of the time I have :).