SodaStream -- Cost Effective or Not?

Options
2»

Replies

• fadumpt
    fadumpt Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I don't know if someone else mentioned it but the flavor packs are completely optional.
    Once you make the seltzer, add whatever you want to flavor it.
    I'm sure the internet is riddled with ways of making seltzer into something else.
    My parent's just bought one of these and all my dad did was pour a bit of maple syrup in his glass and it was good.
  • brent_loski
    Options
    from sodastreamUSA website february 3, 2014
    "3. What will it cost me to make a bottle of soda or seltzer?

After your initial purchase of a home soda maker package, you'll enjoy seltzer and sparkling water in reusable 1-liter PET bottle for just $.25 per liter and flavored sodas for about $.25 per can, before any applicable shipping charges. Penguin and Crystal machine users will pay just $.40 per liter of premium sparkling water and as little as $.82 per liter of fresh gourmet soda. (Note to Penguin and Crystal lovers: Each glass carafe holds about 2/3 of a liter.) When applicable -- and depending on location and order size -- shipping... adds $.03 to $.06 per liter. "

I find this very expensive.. 25 cents a can translates to $3 for a 12-pack, $6 for 24, $9 for 36. brand name soda can be had for less on sale, and the 36-packs are always $9 at the shopping clubs ..

.82 cents per liter translates to $1.64 for a 2 liter.. you can get brand name soda for less than that even when it isn't on sale (often $1 on sale), and you can always get generic soda for under $1 for a 2-liter..

on top that "shipping ... adds $.03 to $.06 per liter"

plus the initial set up costs of $150, plus you are using your water (which adds costs if it is bottled) and doing work.. and the machine and equipment wont last forever.. and you'll have to clean
  • Inc1961
    Inc1961 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    If you are interested. The best deal I have found recently is from WalMart
    You receive a $10 WalMart Card and a $20 rebate

http://www.walmart.com/ip/SodaStream-Genesis-Home-Soda-Maker-Starter-Kit-with-Bonus-10-Gift-Card-and-20-Mail-in-Rebate/37813903

If you drink straight seltzer. This makes it much more affordable. Exchange the canisters at Bed Bath and Beyond using a 20% or $5 off coupon. e mailed coupons expire, ones that are in flyers or mailed to you do not. Thus, they are about $15 for an exchanged cylinder.
  • SamLD88
    SamLD88 Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    I have one and it's been retired to our gimmick cabinet. Not because it wasn't awesome, but because I realized that most of their products are sweetened with Splenda, which I can't have because of my migraines. It IS an expensive upfront cost, but the "normal" flavorings aren't bad. My problem was that I needed to get the "naturally" sweetened stuff, which was 2x more expensive and had less servings in it. So it fell by the wayside, and we mostly drink water unless there's a great sale on soda (~$.25/can or something).
  • chrissi_k
    chrissi_k Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    A bottle of seltzer water cost here between $0.57 and $3.00 depending which one you buy. A gas tank for about 60 bottles costs between $3.00 and $15, first time purchase $29. You can refill the gas tank with dry ice yourself if you feel comfortable and secure enough to do it right (see YouTube). I like my water with a lot of fizz and we get between 55-60 bottles out of one tank. So $15/60 = $0.25/bottle plus cost of water :) add cost of flavor if you want it flavored. You can exchange the tanks almost everywhere and with a coupon (like 20% off from bed bath and beyond) you'll be able to save a little bit on refills too.

I wouldn't go back to buying bottles because of the plastic we save alone. :)
  • acpgee
    acpgee Posts: 7,655 Member
    Options
    In the UK, the gas refills are £10 and do 60 litres, which makes it slightly cheaper than buying carbonated water. I love my soda stream mainly because I don't have to lug bottles of water any more. It's also more environmentally friendly not having to use all those plastic bottles.
  • mizroxy13
    mizroxy13 Posts: 466 Member
    Options
    Extremely cost effective! I use mine all of the time for just seltzer water and sometimes muddle fruit in the bottom of my glass and make refreshing drinks with it. I never buy the syrups because I don't like soda, but love bubbly water and it saves lots of money and is super super convenient!

Also, you're not wasting all of those plastic bottles...
  • Go_Mizzou99
    Go_Mizzou99 Posts: 2,628 Member
    Options
    Giving up soda and sticking with water and tea would be even more cost-effective. Just a thought.....

Bourbon and water is good...but I still like my bourbon with a splash of diet lemon lime or cola
  • greenfirearm
    greenfirearm Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    You really don't need to use their flavourings. Make your own. Get some low calorie squash (in the UK we have Vimto, the reduced sugar version I LOVE) and Vimto also *is* an alternative fizzy (soda) drink. I've never owned one, but my parents used to have one for my older brother and sisters when they were little, and I recall them saying they used orange squash.

The only issue I'd have is the cost of replacing the cartridges, although all that is is carbon monoxide. You could probably make yourself a nifty little DIY soda stream.

Alternative, try squash (cordial, w/e) alternatives if it's about having a flavoured drink more than a fizzy drink. I'm not sure how common they are in the US.
  • Jelaan
    Jelaan Posts: 815 Member
    Options
    We have two 20 yr old sons (and a husband) who drink a lot of pop. I got tired of going to different stores to find a bargain and then carrying home heavy cases. Our Soda Stream cost $99C and the syrup bottles are about $7 from Walmart. New cannisters cost $30 but we get refills about every 2-3 weeks from ECS Coffee tor $17. We have become inventive using syrups and fresh juice to flavour the water. Instead of having 7 cases of different types of pop we now have 7 small bottles and way less to put out for recycling. The interesting and welcome side benefit has been that they actually drink less pop because now they have to think about it instead of just grabbing another can of something and downing it. They are drinking more water and juice and have become more aware of how much they were actually drinking. We are spending less money, have more space in our pantry and less plastic/cans in recycling. The only thing we lost out on was my workout carrying the cases home lol. I would rather use my weights anyway.
  • greenfirearm
    Options
    Giving up soda and sticking with water and tea would be even more cost-effective. Just a thought.....

How lovely and judgemental. *sigh*

Maybe not everyone likes plain water and tea? Just a thought. Whatever keeps people hydrated, moving and keeping healthy, what do you care? There isn't anything inherently unhealthy about a Sodastream.
  • bugaboo_sue
    bugaboo_sue Posts: 552 Member
    Options
    I've thought about getting the soda stream. My sister has it and loves it. What I don't personally like about it is the fact that you can't refill the CO2 containers. They're "proprietary" and you are forced to use the ones that they give you.

I still toss around getting one, especially when it seems like I'm drinking a lot of it but I haven't pulled the trigger on it yet.

Sure if you have great tasting water and you don't have to have it filtered and/or buy bottled water.

And if you drink a lot of tea I'm not sure how "cost effective" it really would be since tea can be rather expensive. Probably more so than using a soda stream.
  • greenfirearm
    Options
    The exact steps for using squash/cordial is the folllowing:

Use the soda stream on plain water. Use the appropriate amount of cordial/squash in a cup/bottle and pour in the fizzy water.
  • michknd
    michknd Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I Love my soda stream! I too am a seltzer/bubbly water girl, but refused to have all that plastic to recycle (we have to haul ours as we live out in the country) I've found I like it with a few dashes of bitters, or a tall mug with a few ounces of V-8 is a lot like a beer with v-8 ;) I too do the re-fill so far have only done it at Best buy but they complain about it so it sounds like I need to go to bed bath & beyond! Mine came with a bunch of samples & walmart has the flavors on clearance a lot. I feel like the bubbles help keep me full plus it feels more fancy than plain water (which I love & drink a ton of too) They have water enhancer flavors as well, I think mine came with 3 different flavors. & I know I've seen where you can purchase that 3 pack but can't remember where.