Am I too late?

Options
Hello! I am fairly new to dieting and exercise and new to MFP. I was doing some reading on the internet, and they say it may be too late for some obese people to lose weight permanently. I was wondering if this was true, and if -I- specifically am too late? I gained weight and was considered over-weight at 16 years old, and I am 23 years old now? It's very disheartening to read those articles that permanent weight loss with surgery isn't possible for obese individuals. The article also says that being obese for too long can cause your body to 'flip the switch' and set your natural weight at a higher weight. Thank you for your responses, and I hope to hear from you soon!

Replies

• Oneironaut
    Oneironaut Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    I'm 23 and have had no problem losing weight. As long as you aren't planning on dying in the next few weeks, it's never too late, no matter how old you are.
  • ZoeyFit1991
    Options
    I haven't had a problem losing weight, but will it stay permanently off with continued healthy diet and regular exercise?
  • Gingerspice45
    Gingerspice45 Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    I've never heard that before. I have heard that it is harder to maintain once you get back to a lower weight than it would have been if you never gained the weight but with hard work it can be done. Anything is possible. I heard about this phenomenon on the Weight of the Nation documentary on HBO. All parts of it are available for free on YouTube if your interested.
  • keefmac
    keefmac Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    Eat properly and you'll be fine, many people on here have maintained a healthy weight for years.

I'm 37 and a touch off goal weight but will keep an eye on my weight from now, it's easy to get used to big meals and snacks..
  • ZoeyFit1991
    Options
    Yeah, I'd like to watch it. I'll check it out right now :) Thanks.
  • mizroxy13
    mizroxy13 Posts: 466 Member
    Options
    Oh my goodness, where did you read that?! Absolute rubbish.

You can lose it and keep it off at ANY age. I'm 36 and not having a problem whatsoever.

Where do they come up with these things?! Good lawd.
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    Losing and then maintaining weight loss is challenging regardless of age and it will require you to make permanent changes to your habits. But regardless of what you've read, do not let it discourage you from putting forth your best effort.
  • SunofaBeach14
    SunofaBeach14 Posts: 4,899 Member
    Options
    The problem with these articles, and there are plenty of them, is that they're usually rubbish but they definitely have the effect of discouraging people. Just ignore it and put in the work. I started making my changes around the age of 35 and am now 41. Don't ever let anyone tell you that positive change is "too late."
  • WhatMeRunning
    WhatMeRunning Posts: 3,538 Member
    Options
    I am living proof that those people who say that are full of crap.
  • onefortyone
    onefortyone Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    Yes, those articles are crappy. Most people who are fat for a long time start to rationalise to themselves that they can't do it - that it just won't work for them - that 200+ pounds is their 'natural weight'. Your natural weight is whatever you put in the effort for it to be! I know we can do this!
  • WhatAnAss
    WhatAnAss Posts: 1,598 Member
    Options
    That sounds like total bs to me. Every person is different and if you continue to eat healthy and exercise the you should be good. Dont beleive just anything you read.
  • theflatpick
    theflatpick Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    Oh my gosh! You are only 23!! NO, it is not too late. This is how I see it, and this is just my experience. I cannot go back to how I used to eat, because that is what got me over weight in the first place. So, is it difficult to acquire new eating habits permanently, sure it is. But my old eating habits weren't working. My point is it may be tougher since I had those eating habits for such a long time, (I'm 48) but it is not too late! This is something that is totally in my power to change, you too. If it is easy, we would not have been over weight to begin with. I could not be doing this without logging every calorie, that is what makes me aware at all times if I am over eating that day or not. Give it a try, all you have to lose are some pounds! Best of luck to you.
  • Maitria
    Maitria Posts: 439 Member
    Options
    23 is a great age to get into your health and fitness. You're old enough to look into how to do this healthfully, and young enough to have the energy and enthusiasm to have fun with it. (Not that those of us are that older can't have the fun and enthusiasm.)
  • jazzie_red
    jazzie_red Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    No matter what age, but garbage in, garbage comes out... Usually on my thighs. :)

No matter what age you are, if your stuffing you're face, your going to gain weight. I know from experience.

I watched: How to be Slim, a BBC documentary on YouTube, and found that interesting.
  • persistentsoul
    persistentsoul Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    It is not too late, it makes it more challenging to sustain a healthy weight once have been over weight but plenty of people manage it. I think it is like anything, It takes time to make something a habit. If you can make healthy eating etc a habit then it will become more and more easy as time goes by. The body is very adaptable and given time it will accept your new healthy weight as its set point once you reach and maintain it long enough. If you revert back to old habits then you would get fat again but if you don't then you wont.
  • MelodyandBarbells
    MelodyandBarbells Posts: 7,725 Member
    Options
    :laugh:

Dear, 23 is not too late for just about anything you could ever think of!
  • funchords
    funchords Posts: 413 Member
    Options
    I was doing some reading on the internet, and they say it may be too late for some obese people to lose weight permanently. I was wondering if this was true, and if -I- specifically am too late? I gained weight and was considered over-weight at 16 years old, and I am 23 years old now? It's very disheartening to read those articles that permanent weight loss with surgery isn't possible for obese individuals.

Hi Zoey,

Surgery is not for being overweight. Surgery is for obesity that is so bad that it is causing or is likely to cause serious health problems. It is also for those who have tried everything else and have failed. Surgery is just a tool -- with surgery you will still log all of your food, you will take your medicine in non-pill form for the rest of your life, you will eat small portions and eat them slowly and chew them thoroughly, and you will get psychological and dietary support. It is a life-long commitment. Beware the surgeon who tells you anything different.

A tool that surgery adds is called "dumping." If you eat too much food, food that is too fatty, or food that is too sugary, you will deal with it painfully or you will throw it up. This negative feedback will help keep you in line. Another tool is feeling full sooner, and some obese people have been proven to lack some of the signals of fullness.

The laparoscopic Roux en Y Gastric Bypass surgery (research using these names or the initials LRYGB or RYGB) is effective in sustaining weight loss of one-half to two-thirds of a patient's excess weight. Age is not a factor. They almost all lose weight in incredible amounts in the first 2 years, and most gain some back but still keep much of it off. For the stats, research a pubmed article called "Long-term results of laparoscopic Roux-en-Y Gastric bypass: evaluation after 9 years." Over 70% of patients of surgery more than 9 years ago are satisfied with their experience.

I was on track for this surgery. My BMI was 41.6. My diabetes was out of control and my insulin and medicines were becoming too hard to manage. In preparation for surgery -- about 8 weeks out from surgery -- I started using MyFitnessPal and exercising (walking 30 minutes 3x a week). I started dropping the weight very quickly. In about two weeks, I started to get hypoglycemic: my blood sugar which was too high as a diabetic was suddenly too low. I stopped the insulin and most of my meds in order to get my blood sugar up to a normal level. This got my attention -- this COULD be a non-surgical answer.

I kept going with MyFitnessPal and exercise. Officially, my surgery is on hold. I've completed all of the steps. But my BMI is 35.7 and once it's below 35 -- only 5 lbs. to go -- surgery is not recommended. My diabetes is so much better, I have stopped all of my meds and my blood glucose readings are superb (averaging less than 70).

To summarize: Surgery works and will work for you at any age and has a better success rate than diet and exercise alone, but it is not easier than dieting and exercise because it is dieting and exercising. It adds a couple of tools. It does a good job for most patients in helping getting rid of much of the weight. Ultimately -- with surgery and without -- it's the commitment to lifelong change that determines whether it will be effective.
  • Fuzzipeg
    Fuzzipeg Posts: 2,300 Member
    Options
    Zoe, the media is out to upset people, to make people dissatisfied with themselves, the body they have. and to jolt those with really bad habits, to make them worry and I am sure it goes past most of them. I promise you as long as you have no health issues like thyroid and things there is no reason for you to gain unreasonable amounts of weight. I am sure that as long as you eat a proper balanced diet for you, you will not have long term issues. Unfortunately for those of us who do or have carried excess weight there is little or no support to discover the hidden issues causing our problems. In other areas of life it is the "blame the victim" culture. Doctors never seem to think of checking if someone's thyroid, which regulates most systems within the body to see if it is not performing properly, problems it can cause, constipation, digestive issues often taken to be an allergy, catarrh another allergy, weight gain or loss depending on its problem and can contribute to so many of life's discomforts, chronic fatigue, to fibromyalgia, (probably not spelt properly) .
  • FindingAmy77
    FindingAmy77 Posts: 1,266 Member
    Options
    for every article or piece of advice from a so called "expert" is going to be one that argues against it. with that being said, no way is it too late. you are in the prime of your life. its much easier for you to lose weigh in your twenties than being older. I am 37 and am losing succesfuly. its all about how much you want it and how you do and eat each day to get to your goals. Don't believe everything you read, just take it under advisement then set out to prove them wrong. I think saying you have a set point and cant lose weight is a cop out in lieu of working your butt of exercising and eating at a deficit. Losing is hard but so worth it. Do it for the 70 year old future you.
  • lindanewland37
    lindanewland37 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I'm almost 60 - made my mind up to get serious about changing my lifestyle due to some health issues and as you can see by my ticker, it's not too late.