Need a non-obvious meatless dinner recipe

Options
micqs
micqs Posts: 186 Member
So to save money, Ive decided to do one meal a week vegetarian. My husband is not a fan of the idea being a big protein=Gainz theorist. So I need some ideas for some meatless dinners that are not so obvious. For example, a few weeks ago, I made a vegetarian stuffed pepper and he had no idea there was no meat until I told him. So not sure if Im shooting for the stars on this one but if you have any ideas I would appreciate it!

OR if you have an absolutely delicious vegetarian dish, please share!

Replies

• ThePhoenixIsRising
    Options
    Chilli
    Veggie soup
    Pizza
    Eggplant Parmesan
  • ParkerH47
    ParkerH47 Posts: 463 Member
    Options
    stuffed pasta shells with ricotta cheese? and a nice tomato sauce and what ever else you feel like adding - mushrooms are good for adding meaty flavour...

quiche? or something else egg based - still get lots of good protein without the flesh lol

ummm maybe something black bean and corn - can't think of anything right now but a google search might turn up some good stuff
  • 365andstillalive
    365andstillalive Posts: 663 Member
    Options
    Lentil tacos are pretty delicious; just google around for a recipe.

Chili made with tons of beans and browned tofu is pretty good too (firm or extra firm).

My SO is the same way about meat not being in things, and he's been pretty happy with these sneaky ideas in the past; plus, they're high protein, so they'll fill you both up like meat would.
  • jaynalawayna
    jaynalawayna Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    my daughter is vegetarian so most of our meals are meatless. We do a pasta dish each week - she likes Alfredo but I like to do a vegetable saute of onions mixed bell peppers and baby heirloom tomatoes with pesto. I also serve some egg dishes like eggs Benedict (actually it would be Florentine because I substitute spinach for the Canadian bacon) and spinach souffle. Then I rotate some soup recipes, vegetable bean (which you can add leftover cheese tortellini to) Sweet potato bisque, and pumpkin soup. You can also make a nice ratatouille - but it is pretty obviously meatless.
  • stackhsc
    stackhsc Posts: 439 Member
    Options
    vegie chilli and vegie lasagne are both awesome
  • stackhsc
    stackhsc Posts: 439 Member
    Options
    and im am not a vegan, i love my meat, but in either of those i think i prefer the vegie ones
  • Zechariahblack
    Zechariahblack Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    If protein=Gainz then substitute meat protein with vegetable/nut/whey protein.

Then it can be as obvious as you want.

My daughter and I whipped up some HUGE vegi burgers using firm tofu, kidney beans, chick peas and (ground to a powder) cracker crumbs to bind it all together. We seasoned to taste (adding this and that spice-wise until the flavour was "good").

Tons of protein, VERY filling and only cost me $4.00 to make 7 HUGE patties (I'm talking 5" across - my patty press makes HUGE patties). Throw in a bag of buns ( and squeeze it out to ten patties - there is NO shrinking when you cook them so make them to the size you want) for $2.00 and you have the main portion of five meals (for both of you) for $6.00. Can't get much better food cost savings than that!

Good luck! :)
  • pink_daisychain
    pink_daisychain Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    http://www.eatingwell.com/recipes/sweet_potato_black_bean_chili.html

^This is really really yummy! Im a vegetarian but my boyfriend isnt and he really likes it
  • micqs
    micqs Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys! I'm going to look up alot of these. He is just so big into making sure he gets plenty of protein that he is completely turned off to vegetarian dishes. He's not big into soups or stews but everything else sounds doable!
  • jennxlynch
    jennxlynch Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Eating Well has a really great swiss chard, gnocci, skillet dish that is amazingly good.
    http://www.eatingwell.com/recipes/skillet_gnocchi_with_chard_white_beans.html
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,742 Member
    Options
    Manicotti with just cheese and sauce, or with spinach and/or mushroom added.

Black bean quesadillas with cheese, peppers, fajita veggies, etc.

Loaded baked potatoes

Various soups

I know that depending on your preferences (i.e., fresh v. frozen) seafood and fish can be just as expensive if not more expensive than meat. But another option is buying inexpensive frozen shrimp, cheaper fish like cod, tilapia, or frozen salmon fillets, and subbing those for meat.
  • sistrsprkl
    sistrsprkl Posts: 1,013 Member
    Options
    Since your hub likes a lot of protein how about egg-based dishes like frittatas or Spanish tortillas, afforable & lot's of protein.
  • 130annie
    130annie Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    If protein=Gainz then substitute meat protein with vegetable/nut/whey protein.

Then it can be as obvious as you want.

My daughter and I whipped up some HUGE vegi burgers using firm tofu, kidney beans, chick peas and (ground to a powder) cracker crumbs to bind it all together. We seasoned to taste (adding this and that spice-wise until the flavour was "good").

Tons of protein, VERY filling and only cost me $4.00 to make 7 HUGE patties (I'm talking 5" across - my patty press makes HUGE patties). Throw in a bag of buns ( and squeeze it out to ten patties - there is NO shrinking when you cook them so make them to the size you want) for $2.00 and you have the main portion of five meals (for both of you) for $6.00. Can't get much better food cost savings than that!

Good luck! :)
  • 130annie
    130annie Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    Love this meatless dinner recipe...Thanks..
  • sarajenivieve
    sarajenivieve Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    onegreenplanet.org has great recipes ! also show your hunsband the 300lb vegan hes a player in the NFL adrian foster is also plant based and so is the world recorder holder for shoulder lifts hes a german vegan body builder named patrik i cant remember his last name he holds 2 other lifting recoders also jim morris 79 yr old body builder :)
  • SarahRuthRuns
    SarahRuthRuns Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    My husband is the same way. He refuses to believe that we can have a meal without meat. My daughter made some stuffed shells for the family last week, and they were amazing. Even my husband liked them!

I posted the recipe in a blog post for my friends. I don't think I have my blog set to private, but let me know if you can't see it.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/SarahRuthRuns/view/stuffed-shells-with-artichokes-692591
  • woofer00
    woofer00 Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    I've been tinkering with a meatless eggplant parm with homemade sauce. It could be lower carb fat or sodium, but I like tomato and cheese! Might try something other than panko, but the texture will be off.

4 Servings (1/4 of a 9x5 loaf pan)
    ~240-280 cal
    25-35 carb
    7 fat
    25 protein
    10-12 fiber
    230-250 sodium

Eggplant - Cut into rounds, dip in egg white, bread in panko, 350+ for 10 minutes each side,
    Eggplant (500g or so, a large one)
    3/4 cup panko
    1/4 cup egg white

Layers:
    1/2 cup cottage cheese (no salt)
    1/4 cup shredded mozz
    1/4 cup shredded swiss
    2 cups of tomato sauce

Topping:
    1/4 cup shredded mozz

I add in protein throughout - either pureed peas or edamame, or pea/hemp protein powder. If powder, it *will* brown out the color thicken up alot, and severely dampen the tomato flavor of the sauce, so you'll need to reinforce the seasoning and add liquid with water or canned sauce. Adding enough seasoning tends to add in salt carbs and fiber, so keep an eye on that.

Sauce the bottom, layer eggplant, sauce, cheese, repeat, top with cheese.
    Bake @ 425 or so for 20+ minutes (top cheese should melt to golden brown)

Once baked, the pea, breading, and cottage cheese glomp up in the voids to give some ground meat texture.
  • myrtille87
    myrtille87 Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    This is one of my favourite winter recipes: http://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/4382/veggie-shepherds-pie-with-sweet-potato-mash

Did this the other day and it was quite good: http://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/412629/ginger-sweet-tofu-with-pak-choi

Going to try this in the next few days after a friend recommended it: http://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/2940671/tomato-and-harissa-stew-with-cheddar-dumplings

I make some tasty veggie enchilladas - roast butternut squash with garlic, make a tomato sauce with onion, cumin and smoked paprika then stir in the roasted squash and some beans (I like butterbeans but pretty much anything will work) and use to fill tortilla wraps. Top with spare sauce and grated cheese and bake.
  • billibong94
    billibong94 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I love Quorn mince or other mince substitutes because they can be used in chillis, lasagnes, cottage pie and loads of other stuff and when I make it for my friends they don't realise it's not real meat :) It's also fairly high in protein so win win! Stick a bit of woucester sauce or beef stock in for a more meaty flavour x
  • bwogilvie
    bwogilvie Posts: 2,130 Member
    Options
    I used tempeh to make an Ethiopian-style stew that tasted like it was made of meat. Spices go a long way toward disguising the absence of meat.

I particularly recommend Spanish smoked paprika. I swear that if you make lentils, carrots, and onions with a liberal amount of smoked paprika, it tastes like you've put ham in it.