5'10-5'11 goal weight

Options

Replies

• grillnchill
    grillnchill Posts: 772 Member
    Options
    I am 5'10 and I am aiming for 170. I am currently 217 and wear size 12s (some 14s depending on the cut of the garment). I have a mesomorph body type, I've always maintained good muscle definition and the lowest I've been as an adult was 150 which felt too small for me, I wasn't as curvy as I liked. 170 is ideal for me. We'll see how it all works out when I get there. ;-)
  • PaytraB
    PaytraB Posts: 2,360 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'10 and also think that 150 is too low for our height. A good weight on my body shape is 160 lbs.

150 lbs would be not only too skinny but also hard to maintain. Your daily calorie allowance would be low to maintain such a low weight. Do you want to live on a low daily calorie requirement for the rest of your life?
  • Chrissie_R
    Chrissie_R Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    i'm 5'11 and i've been told 175
  • Graelwyn75
    Graelwyn75 Posts: 4,404 Member
    Options
    I am 5'10 and 130/131. I have never in my life been over 150, and that was when I had an undiagnosed underactive thyroid. I looked flabby at that weight. So I keep between 130 and 140.
  • Graelwyn75
    Graelwyn75 Posts: 4,404 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'10 and also think that 150 is too low for our height. A good weight on my body shape is 160 lbs.

150 lbs would be not only too skinny but also hard to maintain. Your daily calorie allowance would be low to maintain such a low weight. Do you want to live on a low daily calorie requirement for the rest of your life?

what utter rubbish. I eat between 2400 and 3000 calories a day to maintain 131 Ibs, let alone 150. In what strange universe is 150 skinny, even at this height ? It is well within a normal BMI range.
  • rosehips60
    rosehips60 Posts: 1,030 Member
    Options
    I'm 5' 10" and want to get to 192. I'm almost 54 years old and any thinner than that I look as if I've suffered from some horrible wasting disease. Also I have a hard time maintaining a weight much lower than that. As far as frame size goes my PINKIE overlaps a little on my my wrist and I have abnormally short pinkies (just ask my kids, it is a never ending source of amusement for them), but my hips go on for days so what frame size does that put me at?
  • TwelfthLady
    TwelfthLady Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'10 and have always been in the 130-140 range, all throughout my twenties and now at thirty one I sit at 138. I danced throughout my childhood and teenage years so I've always been rather active.

I think everyone's bodies are different and advice from your doctor is the best place to learn what and where your body should be.
  • carrieous
    carrieous Posts: 1,024 Member
    Options
    I'm almost 5'10" and I am 150. I think it looks good on me but I wouldn't mind losing 5 more. 160 also looks good on me but that's as high as I will let myself go.
  • HellaCarriefornia
    HellaCarriefornia Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    You can always make an initial goal of 170 or so and see how you feel. No need to set a number in stone now.
  • carrieous
    carrieous Posts: 1,024 Member
    Options
    skinny does not equal fit. "skinny" is scrawny and weak and sick. strong and athletic is "fit". If people would stop using the word "skinny" to mean something positive and desirable, that would be cool
  • runningagainstmyself
    runningagainstmyself Posts: 616 Member
    Options
    According to the BMI index, for people around 5'11" 154lb. is the smallest one wants to be without being "underweight". My experience personally is that at my lowest (172) I still had fat to shed and muscle to build. So I'm shooting for a happy medium of 165. If I don't make it and look fabulous, big deal -- the loss needs to be sustainable too, right?? :)
  • NuggetLovesEdie
    NuggetLovesEdie Posts: 477 Member
    Options
    5'10 1/2" here.

My goal is to get back to a fit 175. That is in the top of the BMI for our height. I feel and look good at that weight... not overweight, not scrawny. But I do have "good birthin' hips" and am not a small framed 5'10" like one of my friends. She is a semi-pro cyclist and weighs in around 150 but has substantially more muscle than me.

I'm not sure I've been below 175 as an adult.
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    Very likely to be closer to 150 than 170.

For perspective I'm 186 in this current pic, at 5'11".
  • darkguardian419
    darkguardian419 Posts: 1,302 Member
    Options
    Find someone about your size that you wish to emulate, and set their weight as an initial goal, but don't get caught up on the number.

A HUUUUUUGE part of "goal weight" isn't weight, it's actually body composition. So take a look at yourself as you're losing, and pay attention more to how you look than how you weigh :happy: :flowerforyou:
  • lbpears
    lbpears Posts: 40 Member
    Options

what utter rubbish. I eat between 2400 and 3000 calories a day to maintain 131 Ibs, let alone 150. In what strange universe is 150 skinny, even at this height ? It is well within a normal BMI range.

So many factors play into this. I am 5'10", and the last time I weighed 150 pounds, I wore a US size 4 and my hipbones jutted out of my clothes to the point that people thought my shirt was bunched up in my pants. For me personally, 150 pounds looked too skinny for my height and build.
  • DallasSusan
    DallasSusan Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I'm 5' 10" and want to get to 192. I'm almost 54 years old and any thinner than that I look as if I've suffered from some horrible wasting disease. Also I have a hard time maintaining a weight much lower than that. As far as frame size goes my PINKIE overlaps a little on my my wrist and I have abnormally short pinkies (just ask my kids, it is a never ending source of amusement for them), but my hips go on for days so what frame size does that put me at?

I'm a 5'10", 60 year old woman. I was on the edge of an "obese" BMI at 215 lbs. I signed up with MFP in December 2013 and set a weight loss goal of 30 lbs -- because I didn't have a clue and I thought that would be impossible. But here it is, 7 months later, and I have lost those 30 lbs. Actually, I reached my goal a week ago. I was in such a state of shock and disbelief, I waited another whole week, weighed myself again today, and yup, I'm over 30 pounds down at 184.5 (still don't quite trust digital scales).

Now what? I miss my breasts. They seemed to be the first thing to go. I'm less pot-bellied but I wish my waist was more nipped in: 30 pounds is the weight of two bowling balls, after all. My thighs seem to be less thunderous. But my hipbones will always reach from here to North Dakota. Not many people notice that I've lost weight. Healthwise, I feel the same. I'm trying to decide if I just want to maintain for a while or maybe shoot for another 10 pounds. I'm not sure I want to try for less than 175 at my age.

Your goal of 192 is not far from my 185. I can tell you that it DID feel good when I went below 200 lbs. All the best to you in your weight loss efforts. it IS possible (even if I still don't believe my own success).
  • skittle316
    skittle316 Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    My goal is 150lbs. depending on how I look and feel then, I might go as low as 140lbs. I have a lot of muscle, so 145lbs seems realistic but I just want to be 20% body fat and apparently i'd hit that goal at 156lbs. So 156lbs-145lbs range.
  • nicoleromine
    nicoleromine Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    I am 5'9'' and started by weight loss journey at 210 lbs. I initially set my goal weight for 160 lbs. I recently hit that, and its clear that I have more fat that I need to loose. I do think I'm at a point, where I am going to start cycles of cutting weight and bulking up. As such, the number on the scale is going to matter less and less. I would just set smaller goals and expect to constantly reassess those goals as you near them.
  • mamaoftwins9197
    mamaoftwins9197 Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'10" and pretty broad. I have football player shoulders and child bearing hips. My initial goal is 180, but I'll definitely re-evaluate as I get closer. That may mean more or less. Who knows?
  • kristen6350
    kristen6350 Posts: 1,094 Member
    Options
    5'11 and 36 years old. Goal 157-155. I was 143 (size 4) the summer of 2012 and that was way too small. I was 147 (size 6) the fall of 2013, I feel that was also too small. I'd like to maintain around 155 (size 8). I honestly think age has a factor in it. I think if I was in my early 20's and knew what I know now I'd be that size 4. But it's not good for my lifestyle at 36. I think if I was older I'd be happy with no more than 165.