squats, how low do you need to go ?

Options
i have issues with my knees so i use the smith machine at the gym .

what i need to know how low should you go? should your upper legs ever go below horizontal , so you bum is lower than your knees ?
or is there a specific angle you should go for ?

Replies

• DjinnMarie
    DjinnMarie Posts: 1,297 Member
    Options
    Going post parallel will engage the glutes more. Sticking with parallel with make the exercise quad dominant. It is completely up to you.

I go as low as my flexibility will allow. But you certainly don't need to.
  • jlclabo
    jlclabo Posts: 588 Member
    Options
    i have issues with my knees so i use the smith machine at the gym .

what i need to know how low should you go? should your upper legs ever go below horizontal , so you bum is lower than your knees ?
    or is there a specific angle you should go for ?

if you have issues with your knees you definitely DO NOT need to be doing squats on a smith machine. the fixed plane of motion actually puts more stress on your knees. use the squat rack, and start light. just the bar til you get your form correct. also make sure to adequately warm your knees up. very light knee extensions, light seated leg curls, and some general mobility work for knee health. as for depth, minimum hamstrings parallel to floor and as deep as hip crease below top of your knee.
  • MrGonzo05
    MrGonzo05 Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
    Don't ever use a smith machine for squats. Seriously, stop that now. Its does make a nice coat rack.

Go to parallel.
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options
    Just say no to the Smith machine. :noway:
  • jimmmer
    jimmmer Posts: 3,515 Member
    Options
    At least parallel.

Anywhere from breaking parallel to ATG as long as you can maintain good form with the weight - it probably depends on the type of squatting you're doing:

Front squats, Goblets, DBL KB or oly/high-bar squats? you're probably going to want to get lower.

Low-bar? Then you're probably just going to break parallel.

Although a lot depends on your body proportions and flexibility.
  • quellybelly
    quellybelly Posts: 827 Member
    Options
    At least parallel.

Anywhere from breaking parallel to ATG as long as you can maintain good form with the weight - it probably depends on the type of squatting you're doing:

Front squats, Goblets, DBL KB or oly/high-bar squats? you're probably going to want to get lower.

quoted to remember this advice.

For OP: I noticed more definition and lifting in my bum when I started squatting past parallel, i.e. bum past your knees / ATG (*kitten* to grass). I've really had to decrease the weight when I started doing this to maintain form, but even so I'm noticing more changes than when I was squatting parallel.
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options
    Just past where the top of your legs are parallel (not the bottom). And yes, doing it in the power rack will be better for your knees as it allows them to track in a more natural path. Start with really low weight until you get it right.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    At least parallel.

This
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    Don't ever use a smith machine for squats. Seriously, stop that now. Its does make a nice coat rack.

Go to parallel.

hey hey hey now- I use it for inverted pull ups all the time.

And I sit on it between sets. good stuff.

(LOL we don't even keep our smith machine NEAR the squat racks- it's over by the free weights and a seated military press station)