Self Destruction

Options
I am just about at the end of my tether. I do so well for two or three weeks, I can see the results and start to feel so much better then for some unknown reason I go into self destruct mode. I eat everything I shouldn't and get to the point where I can't stop! Needless to say I put back on any weight I have lost and then add a few more pounds just for good measure. I class my self as being reasonably intelligent, I have a good job with lots of responsibility, a loving family and dream about going walking and camping in the hills. At this rate I will only ever get to see them in pictures or on the TV.

Has anyone got any advice for me please I really need some help.

Replies

• TheNewPriceIsLoading
    TheNewPriceIsLoading Posts: 2,135 Member
    Options
    It sounds like you have SOME self control issues. You need to keep yourself on track. No one else is accountable for this, but you.

Also, having a better selection of healthy snacks and foods in your house and at your place of work with your name on it will help immensely.
  • Rose6300
    Rose6300 Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    Maybe you're being an "all-or-nothing" kind of person? Just make some small changes at first, ones that will get you started. Once these changes kick in, make a few more. If you mess up, don't give yourself license to continue your downward slide. Remember, it's a marathon, not a sprint.
  • marinabreeze
    marinabreeze Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    It's important to figure out what is driving you to self-destruct in the first place, and find a way to address that. I found that addressing the emotions behind my disordered eating has helped me to begin building a better relationship with food.

Also, if you have a day when you eat significantly over your allotted calories, don't give up. Track it accurately and keep it moving. Remember, weight loss is a journey, not a sprint. You are worth it.
  • pineapple_jojo
    pineapple_jojo Posts: 440 Member
    Options
    Are you cutting out too many of your favourite foods during the times you feel you are doing well? Perhaps you are being a bit too strict during the "good" weeks and need to incorporate a little of what you fancy into your intake?
  • asia1967
    asia1967 Posts: 707 Member
    Options
    Maybe you're being an "all-or-nothing" kind of person? Just make some small changes at first, ones that will get you started. Once these changes kick in, make a few more. If you mess up, don't give yourself license to continue your downward slide. Remember, it's a marathon, not a sprint.

^^^This+

I was an all or nothing type of person. (still a work in progress) and that is exactly what I did. I would do the same as you have a couple of great weeks then boom a major binge. I then started making small changes (like Rose6300 said) and once those were ingrained I moved on to another change. Before you know it you have made many new healthy habits and it did not become a chore nor did it overwhelm me. That being said I still have my "off" days but not as often or as severe. Good luck it is a tough road but you can do it!!
  • spolzin3
    spolzin3 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Hi! I'll start by saying, staying on track for 2 - 3 weeks at a time may not seem like much to some but it really is such an accomplishment and should show you that you can do this!! I wouldn't call it self destruction, your not doing anything different than a whole bunch of us, your behavior is all part of this weight loss thing . If we could all stay on track with no problems wouldn't that be great! I think the way we learn to handle those times we "fall off the wagon" is a large part of our weight loss journey. Know this is going to happen. We all know the key is to keep it short and get back on track. When it happens to me, (and it does) I try to remember to FORGIVE myself. Track everything your eating, Even if that number is hard to see, TRACK IT. Don't avoid the scale. There are consequences for over-eating, KEEP MOVING. Even if you over eat and you feel like you've eaten so much that a walk won't help, walk anyway! And REMEMBER YOUR WHY! Why your doing this in the first place. Your health is so important, and you deserve to feel good, and go on those hikes!!! YOU CAN DO THIS! It's not easy, but it's also not impossible.
  • jorodger69
    Options
    Thank you all so much for taking the time to post a reply, I really appreciate it and there was some excellent advice in there too.
    Tomorrow is the first day of many good one I hope, but as many of you have said even if I'm not good still TRACK IT and keep moving.

Thank you all