Can Someone Help Me?

Options
I have been at this weight loss thing a while now and as of today have been a member of MFP and tracking my calories for the past 34 days..in that time I have lost a grand total of 2.7lbs. I walk 4-6 times a week usually 4-8 miles. Yet nothing budges.I previously lost 65lbs last Summer, just walking and cutting way back, but that also involved me skipping many meals, so not a healthy way.

I am beginning to wonder if maybe I have calculated the amount of calories I need to lose wrong?

What I am looking for is for someone who understands all this to take my numbers and info and help me get this figured out. I'd prefer not to post my personal info on here for the world to see. :wink: lol

Any help would be appreciated :flowerforyou:

Honestly I am really frustrated and ready to give up.

Replies

• Garrett1234
    Garrett1234 Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    Thanks for adding me as a friend. I have hit a plateau now and again where I feel like I was not losing weight. I'm not able to see what you're eating or how many calories you're burning, so not sure how to offer help with your issue. My own experience is every now and then I actually go over a little, or take an extra rest day and see if that shakes things up.
  • pander101
    pander101 Posts: 677 Member
    Options
    If you open your diary it would help people figure out what is going on.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    First, how are your tracking?? Weighing and measuring are imperative as deficit = weight loss. Second, to be sure you are in the right caloric allowance range : http://scoobysworkshop.com/calorie-calculator/ (remember this number includes your exercise, where MFP does not).
  • Scythe5
    Scythe5 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    First.....DON'T GIVE UP.

Second, without knowing anything other than how far you walk it's really hard to give advice.

Having said that, I would advise that you find some kind of meal plan that works for you and stick with it - don't skip meals.
  • melaniesilver76
    melaniesilver76 Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    Ok I opened my diary God just that makes me feel anxious.:ohwell: lol Honestly at this point I will take any and all help, even if just a kick in the a**!
  • sympha01
    sympha01 Posts: 942 Member
    Options
    (ETA removed request for you to open diary)

If you're eating maintenance calories for your weight and walking a few times a week, I'd frankly be surprised you lost as much as you have, as the loss you've generated so far equates to about a little more than a 500 calorie deficit EVERY DAY. Depending on what you weigh, that's probably actually quite a lot for the amount of walking you describe. I'm obese and I walk 4 miles every single day, and at my weight (203 lbs) that's about 500 calories.

It would help ENORMOUSLY if you also described how you measure all your food portions (do you weigh your food, do you use measuring cups, do you "eyeball" portions, do you "not believe in counting calories" etc). You're very likely to get lots of advise to start using a food scale to measure your solid foods.
  • melaniesilver76
    Options
    (ETA removed request for you to open diary)

If you're eating maintenance calories for your weight and walking a few times a week, I'd frankly be surprised you lost as much as you have, as the loss you've generated so far equates to about a little more than a 500 calorie deficit EVERY DAY. Depending on what you weigh, that's probably actually quite a lot for the amount of walking you describe. I'm obese and I walk 4 miles every single day, and at my weight (203 lbs) that's about 500 calories.

It would help ENORMOUSLY if you also described how you measure all your food portions (do you weigh your food, do you use measuring cups, do you "eyeball" portions, do you "not believe in counting calories" etc). You're very likely to get lots of advise to start using a food scale to measure your solid foods.

Current weight: 184lbs

I measure everything. I need to invest in a good kitchen scale to weigh things as well.

And yes I do believe in counting calories, thats why I am using MFP in the first place.
  • cassique
    cassique Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    2.7 pounds in 5 weeks means about a 1/2 pound loss each week. Depending on how much you have to lose that's not so bad. When you have more to lose it comes off quicker. When you get closer to goal it slows down. Either way .5 lbs =1750 cal=250 calorie deficit. So right now you are eating 250 calories fewer than your tdee requirements.
  • serindipte
    serindipte Posts: 1,557 Member
    Options

I measure everything. I need to invest in a good kitchen scale to weigh things as well.

And yes I do believe in counting calories, thats why I am using MFP in the first place.

Watch this video. Measuring cups/spoons are not accurate:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JVjWPclrWVY

A "good kitchen scale" isn't much of an investment. You can get them from $10-20 at Walmart, Amazon, etc.
  • stackhsc
    stackhsc Posts: 439 Member
    Options
    i just went back through a few days and it seems that your intake is low if you are measuring it correctly. Id suggest too low given the added walking. Just my opinion but i have experiencde less weight loss or no weight loss over a few months a few times when i was trying too hard. fluke maybe, but for me i now strive to get fairly close most of the time. occasionally if there is a defecit on a big excercise day i dont worry too much but not everyday
  • melaniesilver76
    Options

Watch this video. Measuring cups/spoons are not accurate:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JVjWPclrWVY

A "good kitchen scale" isn't much of an investment. You can get them from $10-20 at Walmart, Amazon, etc.

Thanks for the link...and by invest I simply meant pick one up.
  • radario
    radario Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    A good scale will definitely help with accuracy., I think it's an invaluable tool. But honestly, it doesn't sound tooooo bad and you may just need to hang in there. I had 6 weeks of faithful weighing, logging and deficit eating without any change on the scale; just up and down the same two pounds. They I randomly lost 6 pounds in a week. Try upping your water intake if you are regularly hitting high sodium numbers. It's always worth tweaking things like that when you're concerned, it might get something moving,

Are you taking your measurements? If they're going down steadily than I wouldn't worry too much about the scales, it'll follow eventually. Steady decreases in waist, hip and thigh is what stopped me freaking out during my apparent plateau .
  • melaniesilver76
    Options
    i just went back through a few days and it seems that your intake is low if you are measuring it correctly. Id suggest too low given the added walking. Just my opinion but i have experiencde less weight loss or no weight loss over a few months a few times when i was trying too hard. fluke maybe, but for me i now strive to get fairly close most of the time. occasionally if there is a defecit on a big excercise day i dont worry too much but not everyday

So I should be aiming higher than the 1300 calories per day? I usually try to eat back my exercise cals but often times I dont get them all in, and it seems a bit crazy to work hard at exercising and then just eat more.
  • melaniesilver76
    Options
    A good scale will definitely help with accuracy., I think it's an invaluable tool. But honestly, it doesn't sound tooooo bad and you may just need to hang in there. I had 6 weeks of faithful weighing, logging and deficit eating without any change on the scale; just up and down the same two pounds. They I randomly lost 6 pounds in a week. Try upping your water intake if you are regularly hitting high sodium numbers. It's always worth tweaking things like that when you're concerned, it might get something moving,

Are you taking your measurements? If they're going down steadily than I wouldn't worry too much about the scales, it'll follow eventually. Steady decreases in waist, hip and thigh is what stopped me freaking out during my apparent plateau .

No I have never measured. My pants feel a bit loser but not enough to go down a size. I will try for more water, I dont always do great with that. My weight seems to be sticking within a 5lbs range its been this way for about 3 months now. Its nice to maintain but I want to lose that remaining 40lbs.
  • sympha01
    Options
    Thanks for opening your diary, it's helpful. A couple of questions:

1. I notice that there's quite a lot of variation in the number of calories you log each day. Based on past conversations I've had with other users, I'm gonna have to ask: is that because you actually eat differently every day, or is it because some days you give up logging halfway through the day? A LOT OF PEOPLE do the second thing. Obviously, that won't help -- you'll have to be honest with yourself.

2. I notice there are many entries for home-made food, which can be helpful. However, it's difficult to tell if they're foods you've prepared yourself and added to the database via the recipe builder, or if you've used someone else's entry that got added to the database. Many relatively new users such as yourself do the second thing. That can be very problematic, as you simply don't know whether the way they prepared the dish was more or less caloric than the way the person who prepared the dish did for you. Obviously if you're eating out you don't have much choice, etc., but in that case I'd always advise you to use the MOST CONSERVATIVE (i.e., most high-calorie!) entry in the database you can find that looks reasonable. Learn to look at the nutritional info of database entries with a critical eye. Generally you can *sort of* trust the database entries for big brand names, chain restaurants, and the like because they tend to make their nutritional info public, and they're required to be accurate to within 25%. (That's ONLY 25% btw, and often they're actually less accurate than that because honestly, who checks?!). But anything without a brand name attached or that you didn't prepare yourself is likely to be very, very wrong.

3. Measuring foods. A lot of people don't want to measure foods when they're just starting out. It seems like a PITA, or they believe they'll have a "disordered relationship with food." That's all well and good, BUT. As a newbie it's a VERY GOOD IDEA to at least go through a measuring phase for a month or so, because it will train your eye. I see a lot of items in your diary that are solid foods but logged as 1/2 cup, etc. Chances are you're underestimating those. You might be inclined to argue "but it can't add up to that much." TRUST ME. IT CAN. If you're 25% off on bready things, buttery things, potato-y things, peanut buttery things, sugary things, even microwave popcorn, it can add up to a lot of calories ALARMINGLY FAST. A food scale is best for solid foods. They're cheap and easy to use for any foods you prepare or plate up at home.

4. I'm not going to food shame you for what you're eating -- I don't think that's constructive! But I will just say that I notice you eat a lot of high sodium foods, like take-out and restaurant foods, etc.. That's not going to have ANY negative effect on fat loss over the long term and is nothing to worry about (see, not food shaming!). HOWEVER. It can make it difficult for your fat loss to show up as "weight" loss on the scale over short periods of time like a month. People who are retaining water can be losing fat without seeming to lose "weight" based on scale measurements for actually WEEKS, then suddenly "whoosh" the water weight away in quick spurts. {shrug} It happens.

TLDR: You've been at this for 35 days, and you've lost 2.7 pounds -- congratulations! It is not at all unusual for relative newbies like yourself to see limited results like this at first while you figure out how to use the logging features accurately and consistently. I know a lot of people report very fast losses at first, then slow down, but it can happen the other way too, especially if you need some practice and experience logging.
  • sympha01
    Options
    It would help ENORMOUSLY if you also described how you measure all your food portions (do you weigh your food, do you use measuring cups, do you "eyeball" portions, do you "not believe in counting calories" etc).

Sorry if I caused offense the way I worded that. Just be aware there have been some EPIC flamewars right here on MFP from people who really claim to "not believe in counting calories." So while it wouldn't be logical, it's also not necessarily "obviously" why you're here unfortunately. :laugh:
  • melaniesilver76
    Options
    Thanks for opening your diary, it's helpful. A couple of questions:

1. I notice that there's quite a lot of variation in the number of calories you log each day. Based on past conversations I've had with other users, I'm gonna have to ask: is that because you actually eat differently every day, or is it because some days you give up logging halfway through the day? A LOT OF PEOPLE do the second thing. Obviously, that won't help -- you'll have to be honest with yourself.

2. I notice there are many entries for home-made food, which can be helpful. However, it's difficult to tell if they're foods you've prepared yourself and added to the database via the recipe builder, or if you've used someone else's entry that got added to the database. Many relatively new users such as yourself do the second thing. That can be very problematic, as you simply don't know whether the way they prepared the dish was more or less caloric than the way the person who prepared the dish did for you. Obviously if you're eating out you don't have much choice, etc., but in that case I'd always advise you to use the MOST CONSERVATIVE (i.e., most high-calorie!) entry in the database you can find that looks reasonable. Learn to look at the nutritional info of database entries with a critical eye. Generally you can *sort of* trust the database entries for big brand names, chain restaurants, and the like because they tend to make their nutritional info public, and they're required to be accurate to within 25%. (That's ONLY 25% btw, and often they're actually less accurate than that because honestly, who checks?!). But anything without a brand name attached or that you didn't prepare yourself is likely to be very, very wrong.

3. Measuring foods. A lot of people don't want to measure foods when they're just starting out. It seems like a PITA, or they believe they'll have a "disordered relationship with food." That's all well and good, BUT. As a newbie it's a VERY GOOD IDEA to at least go through a measuring phase for a month or so, because it will train your eye. I see a lot of items in your diary that are solid foods but logged as 1/2 cup, etc. Chances are you're underestimating those. You might be inclined to argue "but it can't add up to that much." TRUST ME. IT CAN. If you're 25% off on bready things, buttery things, potato-y things, peanut buttery things, sugary things, even microwave popcorn, it can add up to a lot of calories ALARMINGLY FAST. A food scale is best for solid foods. They're cheap and easy to use for any foods you prepare or plate up at home.

4. I'm not going to food shame you for what you're eating -- I don't think that's constructive! But I will just say that I notice you eat a lot of high sodium foods, like take-out and restaurant foods, etc.. That's not going to have ANY negative effect on fat loss over the long term and is nothing to worry about (see, not food shaming!). HOWEVER. It can make it difficult for your fat loss to show up as "weight" loss on the scale over short periods of time like a month. People who are retaining water can be losing fat without seeming to lose "weight" based on scale measurements for actually WEEKS, then suddenly "whoosh" the water weight away in quick spurts. {shrug} It happens.

TLDR: You've been at this for 35 days, and you've lost 2.7 pounds -- congratulations! It is not at all unusual for relative newbies like yourself to see limited results like this at first while you figure out how to use the logging features accurately and consistently. I know a lot of people report very fast losses at first, then slow down, but it can happen the other way too, especially if you need some practice and experience logging.

Thank you for your insight and thoughts and most of all for not food shaming me. :)

1. I am logging everything that I eat. I make it point to sit down after every meal and log in everything that I have had. I know that my days seem erratic but most days I dont eat a lot, the days with higher amounts I am making myself eat extra to get closer to the requirement.

2. I am a stay at home mom and have a degree in culinary arts, so yes a lot of my meals tend to be home made. I prefer that to pre packaged foods. I try to always use the bar codes provided on the packages of each item to get the nutritional info or in the case of a fast food place, I will ask for their pamphlet to get the info or look it up on their website. I know that it isn't exact but it's the best I can do. I do occasionally use the items that someone else has added but, once again I try to read through all the choices provided and average what would be the best, and usually I do choose the highest amount, just to be on the safe side.

3. I measure everything! Like I said above, I have been slacking on buying a scale, simply because I don't think about it when in town, but I will make it a point to pick one up tomorrow. Although I am new to MFP I am not new to counting calories or measuring/weighing foods, as I did weight watchers in the past.

4. Yes, lately I have been eating a lot og high sodium take out foods. I have been hating that, but life has been busy and oft times that means eating on the go. Time to pack a lunch when I can.
  • melaniesilver76
    Options
    It would help ENORMOUSLY if you also described how you measure all your food portions (do you weigh your food, do you use measuring cups, do you "eyeball" portions, do you "not believe in counting calories" etc).

Sorry if I caused offense the way I worded that. Just be aware there have been some EPIC flamewars right here on MFP from people who really claim to "not believe in counting calories." So while it wouldn't be logical, it's also not necessarily "obviously" why you're here unfortunately. :laugh:

Nah no offense taken. Lifes too short to get upset over small things like that...just wanted to be sure that I stated that yes I am taking this very seriously.