How bad is an extra 100g of sugar per day?

Options
Hi all, I've gotten in the habit of picking up a 1 liter bottle of green tea during my lunch break. All things considered except nutrition, it's been a real boost to my productivity, and I also enjoy the taste. The downside is the 100g of sugar in it.

My question is, if the rest of my diet is clean, does the extra 100 g of sugar still pose a significant health risk? I am specifically interested in health aspects that do not include fat gain or loss – I'm 6'3", 160 pounds with no noticeable change in weight and I've been drinking these for about a month, so extra weight gain does not seem to be an issue.

Replies

• neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 9,970 Member
    Options
    100g's of sugar? seriously. lol That's what you call good marketing.......take something that tastes like crap and add lots of sugar.
  • bethanyboomstick
    bethanyboomstick Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    Unless you're getting that sugar from fruit (which breaks down slower into the blood stream than processed sugar due to the fiber content), I would have to recommend against it.

According to the American Heart Association (AHA), the maximum amount of added sugars you should eat in a day are : Men: 37.5 grams or 9 teaspoons. Women: 25 grams or 6 teaspoons.

http://authoritynutrition.com/9-reasons-to-avoid-sugar/
  • salbunnylettuceleafyexley
    Options
    100g of sugar is about 360 cals, thats like another meals worth of cals, u are best off making up your own or buyin a sugar free drink
  • _Zardoz_
    _Zardoz_ Posts: 3,987 Member
    Options
    According to the American Heart Association (AHA), the maximum amount of added sugars you should eat in a day are : Men: 37.5 grams or 9 teaspoons. Women: 25 grams or 6 teaspoons.
    Either you or the place you've quoted that from has forgot the important part which is those are discretionary part of your diet which is above the normal amount you need. It's interesting that all the anti sugar brigade always forget the discretionary bit ;-)

This is directly from the AHA

'The American Heart Association recommends limiting the amount of added sugars you consume to no more than half of your daily discretionary calorie allowance. For most American women, this is no more than 100 calories per day and no more than 150 calories per day for men (or about 6 teaspoons per day for women and 9 teaspoons per day for men).'[i/]

http://www.heart.org/HEARTORG/GettingHealthy/NutritionCenter/HealthyEating/Sugar-101_UCM_306024_Article.jsp
  • afortunatedragon
    afortunatedragon Posts: 329 Member
    Options
    Well, if you don't mind using so much of your calorie intake for a tea, up to you.
    I'd use the 400 on a salad with egg and chicken slices or a wrap with scampi and lettuce or a ceasars salad or a sandwich with peanut butter and jam or a proper ice cream with fruits ...

... off to the kitchen...
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    100 grams of extra sugar is 400 calories which is bound to put you above the WHO's recommended intake of 10% of calories.

Sugar in drinks is seen as a particular issue, compared to sugar in vegetables and fruit. http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-26449497

The guidelines are based on epidemiology which tends to show the top 20% of sugar intake in a population corresponding with higher rates of cancer, obesity and heart disease. Doesn't mean the sugar causes the diseases of course.
  • libbydoodle11
    libbydoodle11 Posts: 1,351 Member
    Options
    This is not really the answer to your question. However, it may be a solution if you are concerned with your sugar intake.

Have you considered making your own unsweetened tea and bringing it to work with you? There are lots of teas that have caffeine and taste good without the sugar.
  • liftnlove_
    liftnlove_ Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    Wow...that's a lot of empty cals. Every day?! Yeah, not good :/
  • brianpperkins
    brianpperkins Posts: 6,124 Member
    Options
    Are you over your calories if you consume the drink? Are there any underlying medical issues that require tracking sugars?

If you answer no to both, it's up to you if you want it. If you're over your calories and/or have medical issues that sugar exacerbates, find another option.
  • carolineat111
    carolineat111 Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    An *extra* 100 grams? I don't even get 100 grams to start with (on 1800-2000 calories/day). I would avoid it. Sugar from fruit I wouldn't worry about but added sugar I would avoid in that quantity (I mean once or twice a week, sure, but daily...that's a lot). JMO.
  • leahraskie
    leahraskie Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    It's just calories you should be worried about from the 100g of sugar. They say there is a limit on sugar, but I'm assuming the AHA is trying to limit calorie intake instead. Liquid calories are a large cause of obesity, which can be from sugar or other things, usually just high calorie.

I consume way over what's suggested but it's not impeding weight loss, those are my end of the day boost up calories foods though. I don't eat enough during the day..
  • LAT1963
    LAT1963 Posts: 1,375 Member
    Options
    Dude, that's 25 teaspoons of sugar. You're better off buying yourself a box of sugar packets or cubes (=1 tsp each), and buying an unsweetened tea.

My bet is if you add sugar yourself you'll cut the sugar/calorie content to about half or a quarter of that without decreasing your enjoyment of the drink at all.

You probably won't even taste it as any less sweet. Once all the sugar-receptors on your tongue are occupied with a sugar molecule, the rest of the sugar doesn't add to the taste, just the calories. My bet is that there's way more sugar in that drink than you need to fill up all the sweet-detectors on your tongue. That extra isn't adding anything to the taste, just your calorie total. You can only detect so much "sweet", and my guess is you'll max out your detectors at half the sugar or less.

(edited to fix math--first thought 15g/tsp sugar, but its 15 cals/tsp sugar. only 4g/tsp sugar)
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    I love sugar, but yeah... that's a lot of empty calories!
  • Isowia
    Options
    Thanks for the great advice!

I will be honest, the sugar has greatly helped my productivity in the afternoon. on days where I have a lot of creative/intensive work in the morning, I'm so drained that I have difficult time functioning without a one-hour nap in the afternoon, which is obviously highly inconvenient, although I can technically get away with it.

But this green tea has allowed me to overcome that afternoon slump without the feeling of a sugar high.

as for the rest of my diet, I follow a fairly routine regimen:

Morning: vegetable rice dish

Early Afternoon: green tea, 100g of added sugar

Midafternoon: mixed beans, 1 can

Evening: green smoothie, 2 cruciferous vegetables, two fruits, juice as a mixer

Judging by my diet it seems I'm just not getting enough calories for my body's requirements, not without the green tea. When it comes to making food and cleaning up, I'm fairly lazy, I just don't like to make the time for big dishes. At the same time, even as the productivity miracle the green tea has been, I wish I could get my calories another way.

I think I'll look into making a healthy chili that still tastes good – the goal is to make a big bowl that will cover both of my afternoon meals from a single dish.
  • agrasso88
    agrasso88 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the great advice!

I will be honest, the sugar has greatly helped my productivity in the afternoon. on days where I have a lot of creative/intensive work in the morning, I'm so drained that I have difficult time functioning without a one-hour nap in the afternoon, which is obviously highly inconvenient, although I can technically get away with it.

But this green tea has allowed me to overcome that afternoon slump without the feeling of a sugar high.

as for the rest of my diet, I follow a fairly routine regimen:

Morning: vegetable rice dish

Early Afternoon: green tea, 100g of added sugar

Midafternoon: mixed beans, 1 can

Evening: green smoothie, 2 cruciferous vegetables, two fruits, juice as a mixer

Judging by my diet it seems I'm just not getting enough calories for my body's requirements, not without the green tea. When it comes to making food and cleaning up, I'm fairly lazy, I just don't like to make the time for big dishes. At the same time, even as the productivity miracle the green tea has been, I wish I could get my calories another way.

I think I'll look into making a healthy chili that still tastes good – the goal is to make a big bowl that will cover both of my afternoon meals from a single dish.

No protein at all, you must be skin and bones. Good luck avoiding diabetes consuming all that sugar.
  • HaggisWhisperer
    HaggisWhisperer Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    Never mind the obesity - your teeth won't thank you either!

I understand about the afternoon slump though as I used to suffer from this as well. Is your lunch perhaps a bit heavy on the "fast" carbs? I found by reducing carbs (I still eat lots of veg at lunch and sometimes some beans/pulses but the bread has gone) and increasing protein and fat, the urge to take a quick nap over my computer keyboard has disappeared.
  • luce_de_luce
    luce_de_luce Posts: 41 Member
    edited September 2017
    Options
    Perhaps the caffeine in the green tea is helping your work rather than the sugar.
  • RuNaRoUnDaFiEld
    RuNaRoUnDaFiEld Posts: 5,864 Member
    Options
    I'd be more concerned that you are not getting all your fats and protein.