Can Someone Help Me?

Options
2»

Replies

• ana3067
    ana3067 Posts: 5,623 Member
    Options

So I should be aiming higher than the 1300 calories per day? I usually try to eat back my exercise cals but often times I dont get them all in, and it seems a bit crazy to work hard at exercising and then just eat more.

If using MFP's net calorie method, yes. eat back 50-75% of your logged calories. MFP gives you an estimate for non-exercise activity levels. Meaning if you don't eat back exercise cals, you are further under-eating.

Weight/measure your food, set your goal to 1lb a week instead of 2lbs a week, make sure all entries you log are accurate (I just create my own), use your own recipes instead of searching unless you are having to guesstimate something you did not make, etc. Drinking more water will help. And being honest with your non-exercise activity level also helps.

ETA you might want to consider logging before or during meal prep. Meaning have your phone out, or at least a pad and pen, and jot down what you are grabbing. So if you grab 4oz chicken breast, a cup of cooked rice, and a cup of broccoli (since you stated you measure food instead of weighing it), then write that down as you are grabbing it. Otherwise you might find that you accidentally put that you ate half a cup of rice nad 3oz of chicken because you forgot the actual amount. If I'm not about to head to my computer to jot it down, or don't have my phone on me, I write it on the kitchen erase board or on something else so I can log it afterwards.
  • radario
    radario Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    I would say stick to your calorie goal for now - I don't think you need to think about increasing it yet! It sounds like you're being very do,invent and honest about this so my advice, for what's it worth would be to
    1. Measure yourself! The scale is absolutely not the on,y or best measure of success, especially not in the short term. Just because you haven't gone didn't a dress size yet doesn't mean you haven't lost on measurement.
    2. Pick up that food scale :)
    3. More water and/or less sodium (we've all been there with periods where calories haven't come from the best source, no big deal, life happens, you'll sort it out when you can.
    4. That dreaded P word... Patience. Do this for a couple of weeks at least before you worry about the scale again :)

PSi rarely eat back exercise calories. I don't care what anyone says about it being necessary, I feel good and this works for me, I only do it when I really feel my body demand it. But even then never 100 per cent - I just don't trust the burns given, they seem way too high.
  • melaniesilver76
    melaniesilver76 Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    I would say stick to your calorie goal for now - I don't think you need to think about increasing it yet! It sounds like you're being very do,invent and honest about this so my advice, for what's it worth would be to
    1. Measure yourself! The scale is absolutely not the on,y or best measure of success, especially not in the short term. Just because you haven't gone didn't a dress size yet doesn't mean you haven't lost on measurement.
    2. Pick up that food scale :)
    3. More water and/or less sodium (we've all been there with periods where calories haven't come from the best source, no big deal, life happens, you'll sort it out when you can.
    4. That dreaded P word... Patience. Do this for a couple of weeks at least before you worry about the scale again :)

PSi rarely eat back exercise calories. I don't care what anyone says about it being necessary, I feel good and this works for me, I only do it when I really feel my body demand it. But even then never 100 per cent - I just don't trust the burns given, they seem way too high.

Thanks hon..Scales just made the top of my list for tomorrow! :)
  • radario
    radario Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    Doinvent was meant to read diligent - typing with a kid in your arms is not such a great idea. Happy shopping ;)
  • Neeka_
    Neeka_ Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Thinking your cals are too low on most days and aiming for 1200 may just be too low to begin. As you start losing you will be bringing the amount down. If you start at 1200 if you stall out, where will you go, 1100? Probably not a good idea. You said you have a culinary degree, well then you enjoy cooking I assume? I get having a hectic life, but maybe you can prepare meals ahead of time. I like having Jamie Eason's turkey muffins in the fridge for instance 1-2 is like 200 cals, and 20 g of protein. I also make things like beans that stay in the fridge all week long so I eat them daily with bagged veggies so I only have to prepare my chicken, which I will marinate the day before sometimes. When and if I eat noodles, fries, chips or anything salty I tend to retain water for what feels like forever.
    I too lost weight many years ago on cutting and walking, unfortunately once I started eating the amount of cals I should have been it all came back. This time around I started at about 155 and cut my cals to about 1200, and managed to lose but towards the end I was lifting and eating about 1600 cals and was still dropping until I had to reach about 18-1900 cals to stop the loss. I think you could eat more, but maybe try and adjust your choices some. Have you considered lifting? I am a sahm too, well I also go to school (5classes) and have children with different schedules, so the best thing for me was to put a bench and weights in my living room.
    Right now I am up 9 lbs from a stupid hiatus (six months) I went on due to a shoulder separation and for some reason I can't seem to eat more than 1200 cals, been at it again for about 35 days (according to my consecutive log in days), my point is getting started is always like a game of trial and error, the longer you go at it, the more you learn. When first starting off I always am so worried about over eating that I under eat, then get used to eating less. Since getting back on track I have only dropped one pound, and I am not letting it bother me or affect my motivation, so don't get discouraged you will get there, and the longer it takes the more you will learn along the way!
  • lwestmill
    lwestmill Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    Melaniesilver:

Ms Sympha01 has some very sound advise! I follow her guide lines as closely as I can and it works.

I carefully measure my foods. At 185 pounds I was eating only 1,200 calories per day. I couldn't keep to that strict count and everyday I went over. After I got stuck at 175 pounds for 3 weeks I reset my counter to 1082 calories. I have never went over my 1,200 limit since that time. Guess its my head game. Its silly but it works for me.

I never use the cheat days. One of MFP friends who lost over 100 pounds said " don't do it " and I listened. That seemed to work also. I was happy for that advise.

I have limited time to exercise and I work many, many hours. I am a caregiver to the disabled, therefore the food and calories are my only way to loose weight. I like to walk if I do get a chance but its maybe once a week for an hour.

I found from using this program MFP that the salt is a HUGE problem for me. My family has a history of heart disease and I have to follow the American Heart Association guide lines on salt amounts. If I go over 1,500 grams of salt and I'm gaining weight for a week. If I eat pizza, olives, some certain salad dressings, spaghetti sauces, soups or salt my meat, I can gain 3-5 pounds overnight that takes a week to drop off. Then I have to start at the original weight for maybe a week. So that becomes a 2-3 week set back.

That's just my experience. You have to do what works for you. Trial and error for you body. What I found, its never works exactly the way you want. Hang in there and good luck.
  • sympha01
    sympha01 Posts: 942 Member
    Options

Thank you for your insight and thoughts and most of all for not food shaming me. :)

1. I am logging everything that I eat. I make it point to sit down after every meal and log in everything that I have had. I know that my days seem erratic but most days I dont eat a lot, the days with higher amounts I am making myself eat extra to get closer to the requirement.

2. I am a stay at home mom and have a degree in culinary arts, so yes a lot of my meals tend to be home made. I prefer that to pre packaged foods. I try to always use the bar codes provided on the packages of each item to get the nutritional info or in the case of a fast food place, I will ask for their pamphlet to get the info or look it up on their website. I know that it isn't exact but it's the best I can do. I do occasionally use the items that someone else has added but, once again I try to read through all the choices provided and average what would be the best, and usually I do choose the highest amount, just to be on the safe side.

3. I measure everything! Like I said above, I have been slacking on buying a scale, simply because I don't think about it when in town, but I will make it a point to pick one up tomorrow. Although I am new to MFP I am not new to counting calories or measuring/weighing foods, as I did weight watchers in the past.

4. Yes, lately I have been eating a lot og high sodium take out foods. I have been hating that, but life has been busy and oft times that means eating on the go. Time to pack a lunch when I can.

1. I'm reading between the lines on your response here (as well as some things you've said in other comments), but you sound a bit overly concerned to me with "not eating a lot." 1300 calories is rather low for someone your size and activity level. Obviously you want a caloric deficit, but do be careful about attaching moral virtue to the idea of eating very little. The ideal situation for many of us is where you actually CAN eat a lot and still lose weight! (e.g., by choosing more nutrient-dense foods over calorie-dense foods; by getting fitter and improving your body composition so you're using your lean body mass to burn calories like a freakin' humvee, etc.).

::I:: eat "a lot." It's not because I'm a special snowflake with a "superior" metabolism, or I wouldn't have gotten super-obese in the first place, or had so much trouble losing weight in the past. It's because a lot (not all!) of my food volume is more nutrient- than calorie-dense, so MOAR VOLUME (I ate almost 4 pounds of eggplant this week and MAN am I full!); and because I've been very successful so far at using resistance training to maximize fat mass loss and minimize lean body mass loss so MOAR CALORIES. I'm not saying that's what YOU need to do -- I'm just saying there's more than one way to skin a cat and one way isn't more virtuous than another.

Just food for thought. Which ... has no calories, so.

2. If you're cooking for yourself -- great! Personally I think those of us who like to and are willing to cook for ourselves have a HUGE advantage in this diet game (though again, it's not necessarily "virtuous"). But just the same, my question about whether you're using the database or the recipe builder for your home-made foods is a valid one. I know plenty of people (one of my best MFP friends in fact!) who cook extensively for themselves and their families, but frequently use other people's (or restaurant) database entries for the dish for whatever reason. MFP's recipe-builder has a MADDENINGLY poorly user-interface, but it's THERE and still your best tool for food you cook yourself.

And, ah, the bar codes! As you dive deeper into the database, you'll find that there are multiple entries for almost everything -- including packaged foods with bar codes. Some of them are accurate, some of them are ... less so. When you use the bar code, you may or may not be getting the accurate entries. It probably doesn't add up to much, but be cautious when it's a calorie-dense product like peanut butter, mayonnaise, butter, etc., because small inaccuracies will be more important there.

3. Again, please don't take my referring to you as a "newbie" as an attack or a slight. You may be experienced in counting calories, but you are a newbie to using the MFP database. It takes time to learn how to spot and avoid the many, many, MANY inaccuracies in there. It may have the biggest, most extensive food database out there, but that's only because it's got so many duplicates and user-submitted inaccurate entries. I love MFP -- it's why I'm still here, right? -- and I'm not slamming it; using MFP I have much more control over the ease and accuracy with logging compared to the other sites I know. But you do have to know its quirks to get the most out of it. Honestly, once you've been on here more than 6 months, I'd challenge you at that point to go back and look at how you were logging at the beginning. 15 months in, and I log really differently from the way I logged my first 6 months.

4. And once more, with the anti-virtue, anti-food-shaming here. Keep eating salty foods if they make you blissfully happy or are just too insanely convenient, etc. After all, you'll stick to your plan much longer if it's EASY TO STICK TO.* I only brought this up to advise you to be PATIENT. 35 days is NOTHING in terms of watching your results. If you weigh in the 180s, you SHOULDN'T be losing more than 1 lb a week probably, unless you're very very short. If you've been averaging 1/2 lb per week and you've only been tracking for about one menstrual cycle (RELEVANT!) you're doing FINE. I find you really have to go through more than one menstrual cycle to have a handle on your average loss rate. Partly because many women's loss patterns are closely linked to their cycle, and then partly because *kitten* happens, especially with sodium. It's entirely possible you really HAVE lost 5 lbs of fat in this time, not 2.7; you just need to give it time to show up on the scale. Especially if the lag is sodium-related, the good stuff has already happened. When the scale shows it is really not meaningful. It'll show up eventually and your average will appear higher (and more accurate). Unless you have a diagnosed health problem, you don't NEED to lower your sodium, though if lowering it will help you with the mental health mindf*ck part of seeing results (LAWD, I get that!), then godspeed.

*When people ask me "my secret" to losing weight, I say: it's conquering the mindf*ck of dieting. Sometimes you don't see results and it's discouraging and makes you want to quit, particularly if your diet and exercise plan is unpleasant. So keeping the plan simple and enjoyable helps make it easier to stick to when things don't seem to be working. Don't make yourself miserable eating so little food you're hungry or weak or feeling deprived. Eat delicious food -- heck eat CONVENIENT food -- but do it mindfully. Have a plan and stick to it. TRUST THE DEFICIT even when you don't see results right away. TRUST THE DEFICIT when you get stuck for weeks. The scale is a liar, and the fat loss will show up.
  • stackhsc
    stackhsc Posts: 439 Member
    Options
    i wasnt trying to say eat more than 1300, more to actually eat the 1300, or very close to it and eat back most of your excercise calories. As someone else mentioned it seems that there is a large variation from day to day, thats all :)
  • melaniesilver76
    Options

Thank you for your insight and thoughts and most of all for not food shaming me. :)

1. I am logging everything that I eat. I make it point to sit down after every meal and log in everything that I have had. I know that my days seem erratic but most days I dont eat a lot, the days with higher amounts I am making myself eat extra to get closer to the requirement.

2. I am a stay at home mom and have a degree in culinary arts, so yes a lot of my meals tend to be home made. I prefer that to pre packaged foods. I try to always use the bar codes provided on the packages of each item to get the nutritional info or in the case of a fast food place, I will ask for their pamphlet to get the info or look it up on their website. I know that it isn't exact but it's the best I can do. I do occasionally use the items that someone else has added but, once again I try to read through all the choices provided and average what would be the best, and usually I do choose the highest amount, just to be on the safe side.

3. I measure everything! Like I said above, I have been slacking on buying a scale, simply because I don't think about it when in town, but I will make it a point to pick one up tomorrow. Although I am new to MFP I am not new to counting calories or measuring/weighing foods, as I did weight watchers in the past.

4. Yes, lately I have been eating a lot og high sodium take out foods. I have been hating that, but life has been busy and oft times that means eating on the go. Time to pack a lunch when I can.

1. I'm reading between the lines on your response here (as well as some things you've said in other comments), but you sound a bit overly concerned to me with "not eating a lot." 1300 calories is rather low for someone your size and activity level. Obviously you want a caloric deficit, but do be careful about attaching moral virtue to the idea of eating very little. The ideal situation for many of us is where you actually CAN eat a lot and still lose weight! (e.g., by choosing more nutrient-dense foods over calorie-dense foods; by getting fitter and improving your body composition so you're using your lean body mass to burn calories like a freakin' humvee, etc.).

::I:: eat "a lot." It's not because I'm a special snowflake with a "superior" metabolism, or I wouldn't have gotten super-obese in the first place, or had so much trouble losing weight in the past. It's because a lot (not all!) of my food volume is more nutrient- than calorie-dense, so MOAR VOLUME (I ate almost 4 pounds of eggplant this week and MAN am I full!); and because I've been very successful so far at using resistance training to maximize fat mass loss and minimize lean body mass loss so MOAR CALORIES. I'm not saying that's what YOU need to do -- I'm just saying there's more than one way to skin a cat and one way isn't more virtuous than another.

Just food for thought. Which ... has no calories, so.

2. If you're cooking for yourself -- great! Personally I think those of us who like to and are willing to cook for ourselves have a HUGE advantage in this diet game (though again, it's not necessarily "virtuous"). But just the same, my question about whether you're using the database or the recipe builder for your home-made foods is a valid one. I know plenty of people (one of my best MFP friends in fact!) who cook extensively for themselves and their families, but frequently use other people's (or restaurant) database entries for the dish for whatever reason. MFP's recipe-builder has a MADDENINGLY poorly user-interface, but it's THERE and still your best tool for food you cook yourself.

And, ah, the bar codes! As you dive deeper into the database, you'll find that there are multiple entries for almost everything -- including packaged foods with bar codes. Some of them are accurate, some of them are ... less so. When you use the bar code, you may or may not be getting the accurate entries. It probably doesn't add up to much, but be cautious when it's a calorie-dense product like peanut butter, mayonnaise, butter, etc., because small inaccuracies will be more important there.

3. Again, please don't take my referring to you as a "newbie" as an attack or a slight. You may be experienced in counting calories, but you are a newbie to using the MFP database. It takes time to learn how to spot and avoid the many, many, MANY inaccuracies in there. It may have the biggest, most extensive food database out there, but that's only because it's got so many duplicates and user-submitted inaccurate entries. I love MFP -- it's why I'm still here, right? -- and I'm not slamming it; using MFP I have much more control over the ease and accuracy with logging compared to the other sites I know. But you do have to know its quirks to get the most out of it. Honestly, once you've been on here more than 6 months, I'd challenge you at that point to go back and look at how you were logging at the beginning. 15 months in, and I log really differently from the way I logged my first 6 months.

4. And once more, with the anti-virtue, anti-food-shaming here. Keep eating salty foods if they make you blissfully happy or are just too insanely convenient, etc. After all, you'll stick to your plan much longer if it's EASY TO STICK TO.* I only brought this up to advise you to be PATIENT. 35 days is NOTHING in terms of watching your results. If you weigh in the 180s, you SHOULDN'T be losing more than 1 lb a week probably, unless you're very very short. If you've been averaging 1/2 lb per week and you've only been tracking for about one menstrual cycle (RELEVANT!) you're doing FINE. I find you really have to go through more than one menstrual cycle to have a handle on your average loss rate. Partly because many women's loss patterns are closely linked to their cycle, and then partly because *kitten* happens, especially with sodium. It's entirely possible you really HAVE lost 5 lbs of fat in this time, not 2.7; you just need to give it time to show up on the scale. Especially if the lag is sodium-related, the good stuff has already happened. When the scale shows it is really not meaningful. It'll show up eventually and your average will appear higher (and more accurate). Unless you have a diagnosed health problem, you don't NEED to lower your sodium, though if lowering it will help you with the mental health mindf*ck part of seeing results (LAWD, I get that!), then godspeed.

*When people ask me "my secret" to losing weight, I say: it's conquering the mindf*ck of dieting. Sometimes you don't see results and it's discouraging and makes you want to quit, particularly if your diet and exercise plan is unpleasant. So keeping the plan simple and enjoyable helps make it easier to stick to when things don't seem to be working. Don't make yourself miserable eating so little food you're hungry or weak or feeling deprived. Eat delicious food -- heck eat CONVENIENT food -- but do it mindfully. Have a plan and stick to it. TRUST THE DEFICIT even when you don't see results right away. TRUST THE DEFICIT when you get stuck for weeks. The scale is a liar, and the fat loss will show up.

Thank you. I think I just need to learn to be patient. Trust me, I am not concerned with only eating a little..I love food, especially carb filled foods, so in trying to avoid those, I find myself maybe not making the best of choices, for example higher in sodium. And all of this..well yeah to a degree it is about losing weight, but to a larger degree its about being happy with myself, and I haven't been that for a long time now. I just want to look in the mirror and feel pretty instead of wanting to hide.

Either way, I appreciate you taking the time to offer up some suggestions. I am taking notes :)
  • melaniesilver76
    Options
    i wasnt trying to say eat more than 1300, more to actually eat the 1300, or very close to it and eat back most of your excercise calories. As someone else mentioned it seems that there is a large variation from day to day, thats all :)

Ahhh...Ok thanks :)
  • BigFatDaddy55
    BigFatDaddy55 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Hey Melaniesilver:) Walking is fantastic, but just doesnt elevate your heart rate high enough to enter the fat burning zone or cardiac benefit zone, so it is necessary for you to skip meals to reach a caloric deficit. The elliptical trainer is AWESOME:)) Low impact, fun, they are in all the gyms or you can buy one for as low as $79 bucks. That with a high protein diet, and you will be AMAZED at your results:)
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    I previously lost 65lbs last Summer, just walking and cutting way back, but that also involved me skipping many meals, so not a healthy way.

I am beginning to wonder if maybe I have calculated the amount of calories I need to lose wrong?

You've gotten some great advice on logging. I don't really have anything to add to that, except to stress that you have to be careful about the entries chosen and though it's a pain at first the recipe builder (I use the older version) is extremely helpful.

It's possible that your metabolism is a bit lowered from losing weight before. I would run your numbers just to see if your results are consistent with what you might expect or seem off (although personal TDEEs are going to vary), but I don't think you gave height.

In any event, at 1300, I would probably expect more than half a lb per week unless you are quite short, but weight loss can be weird too. When I first started I'd lose consistently each week and now I seem to alternate between flat or small loss weeks and larger ones. Others talk about having a period of a few to several weeks with no loss and then a larger one (the whoosh effect) which is more common if one eats more and is also sensitive to sodium, I think. As you are losing it might be worth just giving it more time and seeing if there is anything you might do to improve the logging. (This is not a criticism and I'm not even assuming it's wrong, but when I started with MFP it took me a while to figure out the entries. I was just sufficiently overweight that inaccurate logging wasn't that big a deal in the scheme of things.)
  • melaniesilver76
    Options
    I previously lost 65lbs last Summer, just walking and cutting way back, but that also involved me skipping many meals, so not a healthy way.

I am beginning to wonder if maybe I have calculated the amount of calories I need to lose wrong?

You've gotten some great advice on logging. I don't really have anything to add to that, except to stress that you have to be careful about the entries chosen and though it's a pain at first the recipe builder (I use the older version) is extremely helpful.

It's possible that your metabolism is a bit lowered from losing weight before. I would run your numbers just to see if your results are consistent with what you might expect or seem off (although personal TDEEs are going to vary), but I don't think you gave height.

In any event, at 1300, I would probably expect more than half a lb per week unless you are quite short, but weight loss can be weird too. When I first started I'd lose consistently each week and now I seem to alternate between flat or small loss weeks and larger ones. Others talk about having a period of a few to several weeks with no loss and then a larger one (the whoosh effect) which is more common if one eats more and is also sensitive to sodium, I think. As you are losing it might be worth just giving it more time and seeing if there is anything you might do to improve the logging. (This is not a criticism and I'm not even assuming it's wrong, but when I started with MFP it took me a while to figure out the entries. I was just sufficiently overweight that inaccurate logging wasn't that big a deal in the scheme of things.)

Thank you for your input. I am 5'5. The tdee thing is confusing to me but i am going to sit down later and see if i can figure it all out :)
  • melaniesilver76
    Options
    Hey Melaniesilver:) Walking is fantastic, but just doesnt elevate your heart rate high enough to enter the fat burning zone or cardiac benefit zone, so it is necessary for you to skip meals to reach a caloric deficit. The elliptical trainer is AWESOME:)) Low impact, fun, they are in all the gyms or you can buy one for as low as $79 bucks. That with a high protein diet, and you will be AMAZED at your results:)

Thanks for your reply. I have an elliptical machine :) i use it for the days I cant get out to walk. I know its more effective but honestly its just so darned boring its hard to keep motivated. Maybe I will try to do it more.
  • oksanatkachuk
    oksanatkachuk Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    Yeah too low on cal and protein and too much cardio. I think it's a lot of lost muscle and water weight on u.
    Eat more eggs, add protein, lift weight.

Hey! Do u use tape measure?? Maybe u r loosing inches??
  • jnchorn
    jnchorn Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    Someone previously mentioned logging before you eat. I highly encourage this. Another thing someone mentioned, is planning and cooking for yourself. If you are a great cook, which I suspect you are, then you have that advantage. Make things you really enjoy that fill you up and are lower in calories. Keep them at eye level in your fridge and pantry. I don't know if that will help you but it helps me. Patience can be so difficult but do try, it is worth it!