Protein bars/shakes

Options
Can anyone recommend a good dairy free and gluten free protein bar or drink?

Replies

• ThePhoenixIsRising
    Options
    Use powdered egg white as your protein and put anything you want in the shake.
  • Cheyenne_K_
    Cheyenne_K_ Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    They sell plant based powdered protein on Amazon. Dont know if its any good or not but its an option to try
  • perseverance14
    perseverance14 Posts: 1,364 Member
    Options
    Google candice foods without the space.
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    Lara bars = dairy free
  • xael1234
    xael1234 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    Are they good for upping calories for weight loss? I can't seem to find enough foods to eat that up my calorie intake to a safe level while keeping carbs/sodium down. I want to try adding some more protein but don't really eat meat and am allergic to dairy and gluten (wheat anyway)
  • bohemian124
    bohemian124 Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    I really like plantfusion protein powder - I use unflavored but the chocolate is good too. It mixes really well in smoothies and is a nice fine powder with little flavor. Their meal replacement powder is called Phood, and that's good too, and higher calories (200 vs 120 I believe). Phood is a little sweet for me, so I mix it with strong chai tea to balance it out.
  • TrailNurse
    TrailNurse Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    Hammer Vegan Recovery Bar. Tastes awesome!
  • tehzilla
    Options
    I'm so glad to find this topic with some suggestions. I'm trying to up my protein intake, but I'm lactose intolerant. I miss eating yogurt and cheese!
  • GeorgiaJenn1181
    Options
    I have used the Garden of Life Raw Meal meal replacement smoothie powder. I'm not going to lie, the stuff has a weird texture, because of the chia seeds. It gets kind of goopy if you don't chug it. Still, you put a scoop of that in some dairy-free milk (I use almond) and add some frozen fruit (just not bananas! It makes the goopy texture worse) and you're good to go. They make a vanilla chai flavor that is really nice.
  • alanabanana86
    alanabanana86 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Hey I'm a vegetarian and until recently was also vegan, you can get alpro soya yoghurt with 5g protein for 60kcals, soya milk is better than almond milk protein wise and slightly higher kcal's.

After a workout I snack on dried edamame nuts or a dried beans mix- plenty of protein and high ish calories (I find it hard to eat so much when I'm trying to hit my protein so I LOVE beans as it's easier to hit target.)

If you don't eat meat, try a veggie alternative, tofu takes some getting used to (used to hate it but there are a million different ways of cooking with it so now I love it!) quorn 'chicken' burgers, lots out there :)

You can get vegan protein shakes online, not tried them but a great way of adding protein and cals to your soya yog maybe?

Great veg with high protein is broccoli and spinach, edamame beans, brussel sprouts, erm... type into a search engine, really handy!
  • mathandcats
    mathandcats Posts: 786 Member
    Options
    For the lactose intolerant folks: whey protein isolate is lactose free. See for example Kaizen brand whey protein isolate. There are lots of brands and flavours though.
  • mxmkenney
    mxmkenney Posts: 486 Member
    Options
    I really like Think Thin Brownie Crunch bars. I know they are gluten free and I am pretty sure they are dairy free too (not sure if they are vegan though). Great chocolate brownie taste and 20 grams of protein. Not chalky or dry like some protein bars out there. :)
  • bohemian124
    bohemian124 Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    If you decide to try some protein powders, I highly recommend trying out the sample sizes first. They run about $2/packet, and they will help you determine which brands/flavors you like. I did that recently with Plantfusion, RAW, Vega One, and a few others. I personally found Vega One too sweet and RAW very chalky. I used SunWarrior for awhile, but towards the end I couldn't stand the taste/texture of it (my blender was also dying, which probably didn't help).