Strangers acknowledged me in real life

Options
Ever have a day where you feel really approachable? I don't very often.

Today was one of those days.
I went for a run this morning. It was one of those runs where the weather is beautiful, and the running felt effortless and enjoyable, even though I was mixing in sprints and mild inclines. Usually when I run, I say good morning or wave, to people as I go by, and sometimes I just scowl and don't make eye contact.

Well, today I must have appeared to be approachable. People even shouted hello to me from across the road as we passed. One man was walking towards me with two dogs, I went on the road to stay away, then one of his dogs got loose and started chasing me and my dog. I tried to keep running but this canine wasn't giving up, so I caught it's leash and returned it to the owner. He said, "I'm so very sorry." I said, "it's quite alright, just growls and barks, no harm." As I ran on. I must have waved and said hi to at least six people. I ran past an older man with a cane and was planning to ignore him, but he waved his cane at me and called, "good morning!" Then, a few minutes later I started a sprint, and a guy on a bike was laughing and waving at me and saying something I didn't understand. I believe he was thinking how cool I am with my sprinting.

Around the bend, I bumped into the guy with two dogs again. He was taking a shorter block than I. I crossed the road to get out of his way, but we both waved hello.

I'm not usually this approachable in real life. I think it was just a positive aura that I was sending out today, because I had a good run.

Replies

• ABabilonia
    ABabilonia Posts: 622 Member
    Options
    Good for you :smile: positive vibes are always a good thing. Nice T-shirt, the best series ever
  • downsizinghoss
    downsizinghoss Posts: 1,035 Member
    Options
    you must be showing all that bad-assedness of yours.

or, you had a hole in your shorts.
  • Alisontheice
    Alisontheice Posts: 9,624 Member
    Options
    Yay I love days like that. only problem with being seen as approachable often you're told really weird things. I get this a lot. :)
  • wheird
    wheird Posts: 7,963 Member
    Options
    You're Canadian, so this is standard for your people.
  • SunofaBeach14
    SunofaBeach14 Posts: 4,932 Member
    Options
    You're Canadian, so this is standard for your people.

The Canadians are always coming down here and being so polite, courteous, and friendly. Sometimes it just really grinds my gears! :grumble: :tongue:
  • sentaruu
    sentaruu Posts: 2,206 Member
    Options
    I'm that *kitten* who has to say hello to everyone on the trails.
  • Alluminati
    Alluminati Posts: 6,208 Member
    Options
    Yes but, will they acknowledge you on the internet/MFP? Will they just scroll on past your thread? Will they stop in and post gifs?
  • christinazaia
    christinazaia Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    I like to say hello to everyone :-)
  • quzly
    quzly Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    I love days like that. I wish people would be more approachable. I hate to think that our communities are becoming so isolated and only based around computer screens.
  • CompressedCarbon
    CompressedCarbon Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    another_bear_waving_hello-10556.gif
  • Galatea_Stone
    Galatea_Stone Posts: 2,037 Member
    Options
    If you'd run past me, I'd totally ask for your number. We'd get sushi.
  • dtimedwards
    dtimedwards Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    99% of my running is trail running. A couple months ago somebody disappeared, and is presumed dead, on the network of trails I run on a daily basis. I make it a point to say hello to EVERYBODY so maybe they'll remember seeing me and be able to give SAR my last location if I end up on a missing poster.
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options
    Was it like this?

raw
  • lokepa
    lokepa Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    Can't say I've ever experienced this... well, closest I come to this is people asking me directions... but I'm from New York, so I think it comes with the territory.

Antisocial is so ingrained, I visited my brother in Seattle a bunch of years back... went to take a stroll... had someone walking the other way wave and say hello... my first thought was, "Do you know me?" Terrible... just plain terrible.
  • NYactor1
    NYactor1 Posts: 9,642 Member
    Options
    By chance did you have those white yoga lulu's on?
  • RaspberryKeytoneBoondoggle
    Options
    If you'd run past me, I'd totally ask for your number. We'd get sushi.

I would totally give it to you!!! I love sushi. :heart:
  • RaspberryKeytoneBoondoggle
    Options
    Was it like this?

raw

It totally was!!! :blushing: :happy: