New Guy - Cutting Carbs

Options
I started using MFP a couple of weeks ago and I've found it to be an excellent way to monitor my food intake. Currently my height and weight are proportionate and I exercise almost daily. I have to say that I enjoy fitness in general, and have developed some reasonably good habits in this regard. I have been an ova-lacto vegetarian for about 6 years and thought that I was eating well. The reality is that I've had a couple of high blood sugar tests lately, and I realize my carbohydrate intake is way too high. I know now through experience that carefully managing my carbs will bring my blood sugar in line, and lower my risk for diabetes...and yes, I'm genetically predisposed to diabetes. I really crave carbs and never realized just how difficult it would be for me to consistently eat the way I know I should. Man, what a struggle! The other thing is that I've been considering going back to at least eating some fish occasionally. I think it would help get some more variety in my meals, cut carbs, and increase my protein intake. Also, I could start supplementing with fish oil again. Ok, thats it for now, thanks for listening.

Replies

• Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    Try reducing REFINED carbs (especially heavily refined carbs). Leave the good leafy green vegetables and some fruit (and *some* whole/intact grains). See how you feel.

ps: welcome!
  • meankeen
    meankeen Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    dont cut on carbs pls,
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Options
    dont cut on carbs pls,
    why?
  • helengetshealthy
    helengetshealthy Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    Try reducing REFINED carbs (especially heavily refined carbs). Leave the good leafy green vegetables and some fruit (and *some* whole/intact grains). See how you feel.

ps: welcome!

This! You do need carbs, and you'll get people saying "don't cut carbs" and "don't eliminate a food group", and they're technically right. You need to eat good carbs, like the wholegrain versions of foods and complex carbs like sweet potatoes, as these are good for you. That way, you'll also feel better because when you 'cut out' a food, often times it becomes more tempting and makes you prone to relapse and binge on them, you know? Good luck :D
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Options
    you can do something called carb cycling , but just dont chronically cut on carbs. it is retarded due to many reasons. a simple google search would do the trick
    READ his post.

And please, grow up and stop using that word.
  • rmoorefla
    Options
    you can do something called carb cycling

Looks like a workable concept, thanks.

I don't want to give the impression that I want to eliminate carbs or take an Atkins diet approach. It's just that my carb intake has always been excessive. I absolutely love pasta, potatoes, and rice! However, I realize I can't continue to eat that way over the long term and I need to change. The comments concerning simple vs complex carbs are important and I need to spend some time learning how this works.

Thanks for the help!
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Options
    Good luck. I suspect your sugars are gonna go nuts, but sure, whatever.
  • daviddmoore
    daviddmoore Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I've been heavy on the carbs too. My doc told me my sugar was too high. I have been limiting my carbs to complex carbohydrates and i manually set my limits to 35% carb, 35% protein, and 30 fat. I have been losing it and my sugar has been looking better too.
  • PatchEFog
    PatchEFog Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    Good luck. I suspect your sugars are gonna go nuts, but sure, whatever.
    Shhh. Let them just take the blue pill.
  • ttcbelieve
    ttcbelieve Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    Hello

I'll echo what sabine_stroehm wrote. Try to switch or start introducing complex carbs. and also add portion control if that's an issue. Good luck
  • baconslave
    baconslave Posts: 6,958 Member
    Options
    I started using MFP a couple of weeks ago and I've found it to be an excellent way to monitor my food intake. Currently my height and weight are proportionate and I exercise almost daily. I have to say that I enjoy fitness in general, and have developed some reasonably good habits in this regard. I have been an ova-lacto vegetarian for about 6 years and thought that I was eating well. The reality is that I've had a couple of high blood sugar tests lately, and I realize my carbohydrate intake is way too high. I know now through experience that carefully managing my carbs will bring my blood sugar in line, and lower my risk for diabetes...and yes, I'm genetically predisposed to diabetes. I really crave carbs and never realized just how difficult it would be for me to consistently eat the way I know I should. Man, what a struggle! The other thing is that I've been considering going back to at least eating some fish occasionally. I think it would help get some more variety in my meals, cut carbs, and increase my protein intake. Also, I could start supplementing with fish oil again. Ok, thats it for now, thanks for listening.

Uh oh...someone said the LC word... Them's fighting words round here.
    In many people's minds, ketosis, Atkins, carb-haters, cutting simple carbs, and low-carb have become synonymous. They are different. You may get negative responses. But what you are trying to do is perfectly healthy. Ignore the controversy.

Do cut carbs. Why? If nothing else, it helps prioritize your food intake, and also, coming from a carb addict, it will help get cravings for the things we eat way too much of under control.

Check out the Glycemic Index. It rates foods by their kind of carb content, giving you a good guide as to whether a food is simple or complex in carbs.

Over time, your appetite and your cravings for your trigger foods will decrease to healthy level.

Good for you for going down a path to better health. It isn't always easy...ok...never easy! :laugh: But if you are determined enough and consistent enough, time will take care of it.

Welcome to MFP and keep working it. :smile: