Surviving With Children

CricketKate
CricketKate Posts: 3,657 Member
edited September 23 in Health and Weight Loss
The way it often happens: I get going doing what I need to do. Eating healthy, excercising, drinking my water. I follow a pretty strict "alternative eating lifestyle" in which processed flour and sugar have no part. Then my little son, 8 years old, comes home feeling particularly generous and decides to surprise me by making his famous chocolate chip cookies. In my fomer life, I was a champion cookie maker and my son asked me to teach him. It seems like he only decides to dust off his skill when I'm doing very well. He always brings me the very biggest cookie. I don't have the heart to tell him that I can't eat it. I don't have the will power to draw the line at one. Anyone else struggle with generous children? Whether it's ego waffles in bed or homemade cookies, they get me every time!

Replies

• luv2ash
    luv2ash Posts: 1,903 Member
    You'll just need to explain to him that Mommy is changing her eating habits (and maybe the whole familie's as well---LOL). If he wants to bake you anything maybe you should show him some alternative recipes???? Let him know how important it is to you that you make this lifestyle change, but tell him before he makes you his next recipe.

But I love that he wants to bake, my girls love to be in the kitchen too, but they love to make smoothies just as much as they love to make cookies. Also, they love to use the food processor, too, to make banana ice cream, etc. Just as fun, but different ingredients.

Good luck on this! Who knows, maybe the whole family will be doing without those chocolate chip cookies and instead having a healthy alternative.
  • k2d4p
    k2d4p Posts: 441 Member
    I WAS JUST THINKING ABOUT WRITING A POST LIKE THIS!!!! I struggle with temptation as well. It is very common advice to get the temtation out of your house. Well, I can't really. I have a husband and 2 sons and it isn't exactly fair for me to get rid of all of the sweets just because I struggle with temptation. My husband and kids and naturally very thin, thankfully, but I am not. I was hoping for some support or advice, so I will be reading the replies to this. I just wanted to add that you are not alone.
  • ajbeans
    ajbeans Posts: 2,857 Member
    Maybe you could work together to help him find a treat that's special AND healthy? Then he could be generous and you could indulge, and everybody wins.
  • ajbeans
    I WAS JUST THINKING ABOUT WRITING A POST LIKE THIS!!!! I struggle with temptation as well. It is very common advice to get the temtation out of your house. Well, I can't really. I have a husband and 2 sons and it isn't exactly fair for me to get rid of all of the sweets just because I struggle with temptation. My husband and kids and naturally very thin, thankfully, but I am not. I was hoping for some support or advice, so I will be reading the replies to this. I just wanted to add that you are not alone.

Think of this though: even though they're naturally thin, it's still not healthy for them to eat junk. It would be better for them to eat healthy snacks and learn healthy eating habits now so that when they grow up and their metabolisms are slower, they know how to take care of themselves instead of finding themselves in the boat of having to lose weight to be healthy. Maybe buy one treat for each shopping trip, and make healthy desserts (fruit and yogurt, baked apples, etc) for the rest of the time?
  • luv2ash
    luv2ash Posts: 1,903 Member

Think of this though: even though they're naturally thin, it's still not healthy for them to eat junk. It would be better for them to eat healthy snacks and learn healthy eating habits now so that when they grow up and their metabolisms are slower, they know how to take care of themselves instead of finding themselves in the boat of having to lose weight to be healthy. Maybe buy one treat for each shopping trip, and make healthy desserts (fruit and yogurt, baked apples, etc) for the rest of the time?

I was just thinking the same thing----your advice above is fabulous, and I second it!!!!
  • yanicka
    yanicka Posts: 1,004 Member

I was just thinking the same thing----your advice above is fabulous, and I second it!!!!

Being thin is not being healthy.
  • Mamakatspokane
    Mamakatspokane Posts: 3,098 Member
    LOL, just last night my daughter kept giving me her snack.....and looked like she would cry if I didn't eat. I'm blessed to have such loving generous kids....but it's SO HARD!
  • CricketKate
    Thanks for all of the replies. I have explained to my little children that sugar is a hard thing for me to stop once I've started. They are a little young to try and explain addiction to. I love the idea of making smoothies together! I have had my daughters, 6 and 3, help me make an applecrisp with rolled oats and splenda. I do try to teach them good eating habits, but they are kids. I can't bring myself to ban all the treats altogether.
  • k2d4p
    k2d4p Posts: 441 Member

My family is actually quite healthy, I was simply trying to make the point that I am the only one in my house that is struggling with weight. My kids eat healthier than I do, meaning they like a lot of vegetables that I don't have a taste for.

Also, I don't exactly keep my house stocked with candy and bad food. But we do have a candy dish and a few other things. I am of the opinion that sugar and candy in and of themselves are not bad things. Eating them in excess is bad. I had a few pieces from the candy dish last night and I was thinking about a temptation post because I have kids and don't feel that I should rid my house of all sweets.
  • ajbeans
    My family is actually quite healthy, I was simply trying to make the point that I am the only one in my house that is struggling with weight. My kids eat healthier than I do, meaning they like a lot of vegetables that I don't have a taste for.

Also, I don't exactly keep my house stocked with candy and bad food. But we do have a candy dish and a few other things. I am of the opinion that sugar and candy in and of themselves are not bad things. Eating them in excess is bad. I had a few pieces from the candy dish last night and I was thinking about a temptation post because I have kids and don't feel that I should rid my house of all sweets.

I don't doubt that they eat healthy most of the time. And I do agree, it's all right to have some of that stuff around sometimes. But even with that, there are ways to get around your cravings and not have the sugary stuff right in your face.

If you really don't want to chuck all the sweets, perhaps something you could do is instead of keeping it in a big dish all together, have a small dish that you refill only once a day or so. Figure out about how much the rest of your family eats each day, and put just a little more than that amount in the dish. Then when you have some, it's easier to see the dent you're making, and you'll be less likely to overindulge. If the dish gets empty and one of the kids wants to grab a little snack, they can get a piece from the bigger jar, but maybe having just that small dish readily available could help you monitor your intake?
  • CricketKate

That is my problem exactly! My kids are very young. They see me eating healthy, I substitute healthier meals. But I don't want to make anything into forbidden fruit. I don't want my kids obsessing about weight the way I always did.
  • CricketKate
    I just got a Hungry Girl cookbook. She has a lot of recipes that have had the fat and calories scaled way back. Tonight my son and I made Chocolate Brownie Muffins. 181 cals 3.5 grms fat. I am excited to try them when they get out of the oven.
  • saimabhaidani
    saimabhaidani Posts: 145 Member
    I just got a Hungry Girl cookbook. She has a lot of recipes that have had the fat and calories scaled way back. Tonight my son and I made Chocolate Brownie Muffins. 181 cals 3.5 grms fat. I am excited to try them when they get out of the oven.

There ya go! there is always a way out of it and you found one girl :)

btw, those muffins sound delish, I might look into it too. I have the same issues, my son also loves to bake cookies, and my younger one bounces around the oven until they are done, lol. Its so hard, but, just like you, I would not swipe clean my home from treats just because I can't control tempts.
  • mommyof2kids
    mommyof2kids Posts: 3 Member
    I am a teacher and my students always bring me things. oh my, trying to keep them from giving me junkfood gifts and now Valentine day is on the way. and I have 2 kids of my own. so Im there with you
  • Robin1117
    Robin1117 Posts: 1,768 Member
    Hi--it is hard w/kids around. I have a 6 year old son who eats very healthy but does love his treats. It was hard at first to not eat the cookies we may bake. I often have homemade chocolate chip cookie dough in the freezer and I can pull it out when I think my son could have a treat ( I don't stock packaged cookies, or ice cream..whatever we want I think is important to make from scratch). When it's in the freezer, you can take out just a little at a time and make only a few cookies, and make them super-small if you want. If you make 10, you will definitely eat them. If you make just enough for your kids, then you should be all set.

I am constantly trying to teach my son that you can "only have a certain amount" of things like cookies, candy, chocolate, etc. I have explained to him about "will power " and how if I just have 1, I will want 10 instead, so I can't have even 1. After many repetitive conversations like this he has finally started to get it for me, and has started respecting that I do not want the sweets, He now will warn me when I have had "my certain amount" although it's still a hard concept for himself....we are working on that. :smile:
This discussion has been closed.