Cheat Day?!

Options
So I have been hearing a lot and reading a lot about having a cheat day every so often to help your metabolism. My question is, how often should you have one of these days? How many calories over normal should you go over approximately. I hate the thought of even having a cheat day because I feel like it will hinder my weight loss and not help, I'm trying to convince myself that it wont hurt me to have a cheat day. Just looking for some opinions! In four days it will be a whole month without a cheat day, so I'm curious when I should be planning one, or if I should be! Help!

Replies

• Holton
    Holton Posts: 1,018
    Options
    Don't plan a cheat day. We all have days that we miss the target and I say don't beat yourself up over those. I do believe in zigzagging your calorie intake, but doing so with healthy choices.....meaning eating more calories for a short period to time, then returning to your MFP guided calorie zone. This is a lifestyle change, not a diet for me, so there is no cheating or I cheat myself!
  • kabenedi
    Options
    I have reserved myself to special ocasions such as birthdays, etc. It is too hard to try and work it all off again the following week for me personally. I have a friend who does it one day a week though... not sure the right answer, but that is how I do it and see others.
  • sexylonglegs
    Options
    I only allow cheat days for special occassions....
  • SMJohnson27
    SMJohnson27 Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    I agree with the cheat day. I have on once a month. I don't stuff myself until it hurts to breathe, I just eat some of the high-calorie food I wouldn't normally have. I went over by 300 this time. I save those foods for that day and i don't regret it or lose motivation the following day. If you can still maintain the portion control, I say go ahead.
  • kappyblu
    kappyblu Posts: 654 Member
    Options
    I have cheat MEALS once every 7 to 10 days or so. I do not do an entire cheat day because I agree with you that eating whatever for an entire day is not what I want to do. That is what I used to do and that's how I got to where I was before I joined MFP. As for how many calories, that cheat meal might usually puts me around 200-500 calories over for the day. But remember, it is one meal. I allow it for an indulgence. I have also found that I don't want those greasy burgers or pizza anymore. If I have a burger, it's a turkey burger. If it's pizza, it's thin crust and veggies. I say plan a cheat meal and have one soon! Plan a fabulous menu and enjoy yourself. It looks like you have been waiting for a while. :flowerforyou:
  • krissy_pooo
    krissy_pooo Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    congratulations for going a month without cheating!! I saw that today too, on the Dr. Oz show, is that where you saw it? My advice is if you don't think you want or need a cheat day, then don't cheat! I don't know the scientific aspect of it really, just that it helps your metabolism burn the fat quicker (I think)... my guess is if you're going to take a cheat day, do it once every week or two weeks, and I probably wouldn't pig out. Just eat something that you want to eat that day that will make you go over your daily calorie goal. I don't know if I'm right, but this is how I understood it!
  • k4evans1
    k4evans1 Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    Good question! I'm interested to read what everyone thinks :)
  • NikkiJ17
    NikkiJ17 Posts: 295
    Options
    I do a "free day" every Sunday. This is not an ok for me to eat anything and every thing, but it is a day where I can have something I've been craving. I normally do go over my calories on that day, some times a little, some times a lot. I have currently lost 16 pounds (actually gained some over Christmas and lost it again). The main thing is to find what works for you. Every one's body is different. Also, you have to be realistic with making this a lifestyle change. If I went into this saying I was never gonna eat my faves again, I wouldn't last very long. But if I have a craving on Tuesday and I know I can have it on Sunday, it helps me. And sometimes by the time Sunday comes around I'm no longer craving it. Good luck!
  • Proudmumofboys
    Options
    I say it's up to you..

I think we all slip up every now and then when we eat, but I'm not sure about having a certain day as a cheat day. I just wouldn't want to go over board.

Like today, I had a few wings and breadstick for dinner, my stomach was so messed up after I ate it. I haven't had that kind of stuff in a while.. I still like my foods, I am just taking in less and trying to make better choices.
  • chiarunner
    Options
    I haven't had one in awhile either... hrmmm....

I used to plan cheat days on my really intense workout days. That way, I burned 500 extra that would justify making home made pizza :-).
  • ColeyCannoli
    Options
    Personally I disagree with this idea. A few extra calories might spark a bit of a faster metabolism and burn a little more, but nothing substantial. You could probably cheat every now and then (every other week maybe?) with a few dozen calories without hurting anything though. My fear would be using my "cheat day" and ending up binging. Binging will through my calories all out of whack and my stomach will stretch making me hungry faster the next day. It would be like starting all over again, cause I've just recently been able to eat when hungry without going over my limit.

I know I rambled a bit but I hope that helped! Have a treat but try not to binge! I might not have your will power, so only you really know.

Good luck in everything!
  • krissy_pooo
    krissy_pooo Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    Don't plan a cheat day. We all have days that we miss the target and I say don't beat yourself up over those. I do believe in zigzagging your calorie intake, but doing so with healthy choices.....meaning eating more calories for a short period to time, then returning to your MFP guided calorie zone. This is a lifestyle change, not a diet for me, so there is no cheating or I cheat myself!

This is really good advice!! I went over today and I keep kicking myself in the butt for it.. but I know if I get right back on track tomorrow everything will be fine!
  • joshntara96
    Options
    I know from watching the Biggest Loser that they have 1 cheat day per week in an effort to fool their metabolism and keep the rate up. I have one meal per week and keep it within reason. I try to eat very low calorie breakfast and lunch and then have whatever I want for dinner. My nutritionist introduced me to the "Halve it and have it" method in which she encourages me to eat on occasion my favorite restaurant or homecooked meals that may be high in calories or fat but to only eat half of the portion. It is not worth it if you are going to feel guilty about it but at the same time it is good to feel uninhibited every now and then.
  • gymmom72
    Options
    I don't think you should give yourself a whole cheat day. You know how hard you worked to get rid of those pounds. I do think that you should reward yourself once a week with a treat. Maybe an ice cream or something that you have been craving. If you make a whole day out of it, you will easily gain a couple of pounds that one day. Good luck!!!:smile:
  • _Bro
    _Bro Posts: 437 Member
    Options
    Cheat Meals not Days!
    Pre-plan abd try to make the meal earlier in the day so you have a chance to burn it off.
    With this in mind, you can have a cheat meal with impacting your goals.

this is a not an option if you are carb cycling..
  • DianaPowerUp
    DianaPowerUp Posts: 518 Member
    Options
    Personally, I don't ever "plan" a cheat day in. I do the best I can, every day, and I know that there may be one day every wk or 2, when it will be a slightly higher calorie day (going out to eat, invited to some function, etc). When those days come around, I don't go all out and eat like a crazy woman (high fat and calorie, everything in sight). I still try to eat well, and am conscious about my choices, but I don't make myself miserable either, by not allowing myself to have something, if I want it.

B/c most every day, I come in under my calories, I know that the day that I go slightly above (and I mean, maybe 300 calories, give or take, which could be a slice of cake, for ex.), won't ruin my diet, and may possibly even help reset my metabolism a bit. I don't know if this helped or not, but I would be careful about actually planning a day where you can eat "what you want". It kind of sets you back on the idea of lifestyle changes, if during the wk you're really good, and every Sat. you go chow down on wings, beer, pizza, etc. Everything in moderation, and it'll be fine.
  • jewelzz
    jewelzz Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    I can't have a cheat day,if I do it makes me feel guilty and for me its not worth the guilt.so if I have to have it I have a bite and walk away.most the time that will stisfy the craving and leave me guilt free
  • mistawalka
    mistawalka Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    Don't plan a cheat day.

I've been following this idea myself - I found on a cheat day I would eat way more than I needed to just to 'spoil' myself because it was planned.

Cheat days for me have been routine events (family re-union / xmas function) that have made it difficult to stay within the target calories for my goal - but that I'm not going to beat myself up over afterwards as my healthy routine will continue on the next day.

For me 'cheating' has more been like rewarding a good workout session or just a good week with something that sits within the healthy lifestyle.
  • bassetthree
    bassetthree Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    Remember that its not a diet but a lifestyle change. A lifestyle should incorporate some indulgence but in limited moderation. I don't think living a healthy "lifestyle" would mean to eat a whole pizza or sleeve of cookies or go crazy on any regular interval.

Sometimes indulging means putting in the extra time to work off those calories. So you were invited to a party and all they are serving is Pizza - Savor one slice and hit the gym extra hard in the morning. There are reasonable ways to accommodate deviations however like any "addict" finding continued reasons to splurge and partake may lead you right back to square one.

I think each person needs to decide for themselves if cheating is appropriate or not. For my personal goals I want to establish that I can consistently make good decisions for a long period of time before I allow myself an indulgence. For that reason, I think splurging only on special occasions is probably the direction I will go.
  • mkw122680
    Options
    I've steered clear of a cheat day, because I feel that a whole day of eating off your plan doesn't really help. I have been eating healthier for a month and a half, and during that time, I have had a couple of "cheat" meals. A couple of weeks ago, I was craving pizza. A big slice of greasy cheese filled pepperoni pizza. I got the craving on Friday and resisted the urge until Sunday. On Sunday, I couldn't resist anymore (thanks football and constant Pizza Hut commercials)
    and after talking to my husband, he agreed to get one pizza for lunch. I had the smallest piece in the box, two of the smallest ends of the garlic bread he also ordered and I ate it slowly, tasting the food and enjoying the flavor. I also downed a whole 16oz glass of water as I ate, usually taking a big drink after I finished swallowing every piece.

Since then, I haven't had the craving. For dinner, it was right back on track with calorie counting and healthy eating. I do believe that sometimes you have to listen to your body and eat what isn't necessarily the healthiest for you, but learning how to portion control and not do it often is the key to success I feel.