Looking for nutritional help.

Options
Hello my name is Eric. I am currently at 34% body fat and would like to drop to 22% in order to gain entry in to the United states navy. The only problem I'm having is that I knkw nothing about nutrition. What should I eat how much should I eat ect. What are the bad things I should be looking for in each meal I have. I have already dropped 15 pounds in just 3 weeks by simply limiting what I eat. I eat once or twice a day right now due to how much I work. I also work bight shift so it's hard for me to stick to not eating after 7pm due to that's more like my 12 pm for most people. I don't eat breakfast I usually rush out the door for work. I am about to start p90x work out and we'll as my usual lifting routine. I'm just trying to mix it up a little bit to drop more weight. I work out once as soon as I get up for about an hour and when I get home for about an hour. Usually run in the morning and lift at night before bed. Taking a different day off every week from lifting to allow my muscles to rest. A friend suggested whey protein and a product called ripped vita pack from gnc but Im not sure if they would hurt me or help me in my situation. Any thing will help. I'm just nkt sure what I should be eating and what I should be looking out for. Any help you guys may have will be greatly appreciated

Replies

• stevenlcopeland
    stevenlcopeland Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    I have a daughter in the Navy and a daughter in the Marines. Find it hard to believe a recruiter will not work with you to get your BMI within the range of the military requirements. My advice is simple, eat high protein, low carbs and back a bit off on your weights and pick up on the cardio. Incorporate HIIT into your routine and bust your *kitten* doing it and you will be fine. Don't worry you aren't going to lose your muscle mass doing this. It will maintain just fine. No junk food at all and save your money on the supplements, you don't need them. You need to sweat. As far as P90X, it is ok but it wasn't for me. Bores me to death to watch a video to workout. Good luck and hope you make it into the service.
  • ewodonnell
    Options
    I've done p90x before and your right watching a video trying to work out kills me I just don't have a better work out routine to follow. I've been lifting since high school and slacked off for a couple yearsand in the past few months I've got back in the groove of things. Is there anything you would suggest other than p90x to give me that extra push. My recruiter is working with me but not very much I've already been to meps I passed everything they had my body fat % is the only thing holding me back. The minimum for entry is 25% and I would love to reach that by mid January just nkt sure if it's possible. I'm willing to put in the work and I'm more than dedicated to it. Just having trouble following the right work outs
  • ewodonnell
    Options
    Also what foods should I eat to get my protein up without hurting anything else. And would it hell to take a multivitamin to make sure I'm getting all the vitamins I need
  • audrast
    audrast Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    If you have medical coverage, try making an appointment with a registered dietitian. It sounds like you need a diet plan and if you are really in the dark about what you need to do, you need the expertise a dietitian can offer to get you on the right track. If you don't have coverage that will cover appointments like that, try doing some internet research. There are a few places you can learn about nutrition for free.

Basic parameters are going to be to eat unprocessed foods, whole grains, lots of fresh fruits and vegetables, lean meats like oily fish, chicken, turkey. Make sure your ingested fats are healthy fats. Avoid oils, butter, fatty meats. Keep to seeds, nuts, avocado. Get used to the idea that you should be doing your own cooking. Things you can buy are prepacked, highly processed and will, most likely, not be good for you. Cooking your own food will be much healthier for you.

Visit your local library and check out some books about performance-based nutrition and some cook books to help get you started.