Should I use protein powder?

Options
This is a real dilemma for me. Friends who see my food diary say I am not getting enough protein. I just don't like the idea of how processed protein powder is. I don't drink smoothies. It's just not part of my diet, I don't like them. But everyone is telling me to use protein powder. I just don't know what to do.

Replies

• yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    your diary is closed, but you can get more protein from foods like lean chicken breast if you prefer.
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,172 Member
    Options
    You don't have to, although it can help get your protein macro up. However, so will lean meats like chicken and fish, as well as things like greek yogurt.
  • RunnerStephe
    Options
    I started using whey and actually enjoy it.
  • pineapple_jojo
    pineapple_jojo Posts: 440 Member
    Options
    I use a sun warrior vegan protein powder - I like the idea of getting my protein from plants far more than loading up with dairy. I just chuck some PB2 in with it to make it taste nicer and make it up with water. That way it's just a pure protein boost.

Edited for rubbish spelling!!
  • WhatMeRunning
    WhatMeRunning Posts: 3,538 Member
    Options
    Don't make yourself eat something you won't like.

I like using protein powder personally, I find it fits certain situations nicely, like a small calorie, yet filling meal, or to eat back calories burned exercising in the evening.

You could always do meats, or eggs to get your protein numbers up.
  • davert123
    davert123 Posts: 1,568 Member
    Options
    I use them all the time and love um. I don't eat meat so I use them to boost my macros - tbh it is protein in powder and protein in meats, eggs, fish etc. Different package but same stuff.
  • stevenlcopeland
    stevenlcopeland Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    Love protein powders. I don't really get wrapped up in the taste of them. They either taste ok or they suck. They serve a purpose and they are quick. I don't waste a lot of time eating any meal. There are a lot more fun things in life to do besides eating. When that mentality is achieved, keeping weight off becomes quite easy.
  • bethanyboomstick
    bethanyboomstick Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    If you don't want to, and you're not trying to bulk like a powerlifter, I say you're fine. It's a nice boost if you want it, but if you're uncomfortable with it, don't worry about it.

You can get protein from lots of other sources. quinoa, eggs, beans, tofu, turkey, almonds. Protein powder is not your only option. I've never consumed protein powder, and I am not even close to deficient.
  • providentialfoodie
    Options
    One of my biggest issues with exercise has been the lack of energy, and one of the biggest gaps in my macros was the protein. I have a bunch of food allergies, so getting enough protein has been a problem for a long time. I found a dual bladed blender for cheap at And That and started making simple smoothies for the purpose of getting that gritty unappetizing protein powder down first thing in the morning. That has made a huge difference in my ability to function. I'm getting almost all of the recommended amount of protein every single day and exercising energizes me rather than wiping me out, and I have energy left for everything else that is mine to do. I say all of that just to suggest that, whether you eat more from higher protein sources or use a powder supplement, you might not realize just how much you're affected by not getting enough protein so you should definitely *do something*.

Blessings,

Esther
  • Kate7294
    Kate7294 Posts: 783 Member
    Options
    Bump...

Thanks Esther for the info. I've been eating protein bars but noticed my energy has really gone down hill in the last 2 weeks so I'll be looking into using some.